Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I apologize up front that I don't know about that specific one but if you haven't made up your mind, I really like my saddle bags:

I have them zipped up into the compact configuration in the picture but you can unzip them and they expand out larger if needed. Here's more info on those if interested:

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System for Kawasaki ZX10R '11-'15 | TwistedThrottle.com

Look through the pictures on that link to see how they expand.
Expensive but I like the look better than OP's original suggestion.

Also nice job on the "headlights" by the mirrors for road use lol.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Actually they are a little cheaper than the OPs bag (by only 20 bucks). BUT, they only hold less than half of what the OPs bag holds. The thing I like about the saddle bags is the mounting system is great, they don't mark up the bike if you use the contact paper in any rub spots, AND you can't even tell they are on there. You can hit the twisties like nobody's business and cruise along at 130 with no problems whatsoever. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have run the saddlebags on other bikes, didn't like them. They never seemed to stay put and I always had to mess with them. YMMV.

I went ahead and ordered the Ventura rack after speaking to their tech support.

I will post pics and impressions after the install.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ventura systems are very popular here in Australia and they are quite well regarded. I have used them and they are pretty good but at high speed they do have a bit of a sail type effect that can make the front a bit light. That said they are very convienient and quite well made. I also know to install on Gen 4 you need to cut 2 slots into the undertray.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info, appreciate it.

The bag system acting like a sail shouldn't be too much of a problem for me, I try to keep the super high speeds down when Sport-touring.

It's all about the corners for me :banana-metal:

·
Registered
153 Posts
:ayyy: That's great, glad it went well. They really are good for a trip away, just pack the bag, chuck it on and forget it!

Can you share some pics of the racks fitment maybe showing how close the L brackets are to fairing, mounting points etc? Also was I right about having to cut the undertray?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been using the Ventura system on my 04 CBR1000RR for years now. Love them and have parts on order from UK for my newly purchased ZX10R.

The positioning of the load on the bike is good and you can also double bag attach to get quite a load if you need for touring like 81 liters of luggage space back coupled with a tank bag, wife, tent and a bottle of wine, well - you get the picture ))

The racks are also fairly light weight and can swap out the bag rack with a grab handle for spirited short rides. Seemed to make the OEM rear shock on the 1KRR work a bit better too LOL.
I haven't noticed any sail effect with the bag but that is with the Aero Spada bag with the placement over the pillion seat.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you share some pics of the racks fitment maybe showing how close the L brackets are to fairing, mounting points etc? Also was I right about having to cut the undertray?
I will see about getting some pics later today, didn't take any during assembly.

I only had to cut 2 small slots in the tray for the crossmember, and enlarge 2 holes in the upper tray for a insert to fit into. The instructions are a little vague, they state that you have to remove the lower tray completely - I just let it hang and did it in mid air.

YMMV

·
Registered
94 Posts
You are right about the instructions being a little vague LOL
Got my system today for the 10R and am thinking WTF.
Oh well, tomorrow I try fitting but if you have a pic of the rear tray you could share, I would be grateful. ))

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got it set up.
Not a fan of the new Universal Pack Rack they ship as the bag sits almost 5cm or 2Inches above the rear seat. I think they need to redesign the side rails to accommodate the new set up so the bag sits nicely on the seat having the seat bearing the load not the rack so much. I might get a steal working friend of mine to make alternate mid mounts so as to bring the bag back down.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ventura systems are very popular here in Australia and they are quite well regarded. I have used them and they are pretty good but at high speed they do have a bit of a sail type effect that can make the front a bit light. That said they are very convienient and quite well made. I also know to install on Gen 4 you need to cut 2 slots into the undertray.
Have to apologise to you Doppler, the new universal Bag Rack Mount System does lead to sail type tendencies when carrying a light load. This didn't happen with the older racks as the bag sat better on the rear. I will be looking to modify the connecting mounts to bring the bag back down on the seat. Will post pics when done.

I think we also need to make it clear to Ventura that this system needs better development as I can understand the reason behind it but it isn't working as well as their original racks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looking at your photo above I don't think I'm a big fan of the new style rack either to be honest. After your posts I had a look at a photo of my old 07 R1 with a venture fitted. I noticed the R1's pillion seat is quite a lot higher than my ZX10R's in comparison to the height of the tank and front screen. I'm guessing this meant more of the bag was above the streamline of the screen resulting in greater wind drag, IE, more sail effect that I commented on. (I realise that the position of the riders body is also a factor here too) If you're interested below is a photo of my R1 with ventura bag and my ZX10R so you can see the differing seat heights.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually the Universal design compared to the old Bag Rack of the CBR1000RR I still have is only 1cm different from where the mounts sit in the L-Brackets. I think the L-Brackets mounting and cross frame are designed higher to accommodate the standard Fender of the ZX10R Gen 4.

Easiest might be to weld additional material to the rear mount arms of the L-Brackets of 4cm to drop the L-Brackets down at the rear. If one wants to keep the neat look of the L-Brackets against the tail, then fabricating new universal mount joints between the L-Brackets and the Rack are in order.Something that sits flat from where the mount joints connect to the L-Bracket.

Stuff to ponder. ))

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.