Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading about guys on gixxers and R1's putting velocity stacks on their bikes. What do velocity stacks do?

Which company's velocity stacks would you recommend for a 1st gen 10r?

Thanks. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
They are supposed to help with the intake airflow. I have Factory Pro. It definitely sounds different than stock but can't vouch for any actual performance gains since i never dyno'd before or after.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
They change the length of the intake runner. This changes the tuning of the intake and can either raise or lower torque curve in the rev range.

Longer intake runners higher in the rev range. Like in a truck needing low end torque, short intake runners are used ex Nissan vg30de from hardbody pickup

compared to a vg30dett from a 300z tt. This car is designed for top end power so longer intake runners.

the general consensus is they they don't help the 10's for much at all.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The old sayings go "your robbing peter to pay paul". I gained alot of midrange and lost a little bit of top end. The gains were good enough for me and im happy that i got them. They seemed to smoothen out the bike believe it or not. I gained up to 4.5 hp in some of the midrange and lost about 1 or 2 up top.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The old sayings go "your robbing peter to pay paul". I gained alot of midrange and lost a little bit of top end. The gains were good enough for me and im happy that i got them. They seemed to smoothen out the bike believe it or not. I gained up to 4.5 hp in some of the midrange and lost about 1 or 2 up top.
did you have it dyno-ed before and after
?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I have seen bikes run lower numbers if not the same for before and after!! I can say if they jumped your numbers that high I'd love to see both dyno sheets, cause I'm yet to see one and all I ever hear is how it does this,that and what not. Not even velocity its self has anything on there website showing before and after.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Longer intake runners higher in the rev range. Like in a truck needing low end torque, short intake runners are used ex Nissan vg30de from hardbody pickup

compared to a vg30dett from a 300z tt. This car is designed for top end power so longer intake runners.
You've got that backwards, and that example is comparing apples to oranges. Also, do you have the specs on full runner length from intake plenum to valve on both of those? Looks can be deceiving.

In general, shorter runners along with a larger diameter increase top end and take away low end, longer runners along with a smaller diameter increase low end and choke off top end. Shorter vs. longer with the same diameter still has that effect, to a lesser degree. In that case peak power won't be affected as much, but the shorter will shift power up in the range a bit.
It's all about total velocity.

Case in point, here's an apples to apples comparison...
Stock DSM (Eclipse/Talon/Laser) intake manifold, good for around 7500rpm max in general, even with other high rpm mods (note that runners go underneath and around for a long runner length)...

Magnus DSM intake manifold, I've heard of at least 10,000 rpm 2.0's with this one (and more mods of course). This one's a straight shot in, for a shorter runner length...

Difference with no changes other than the manifold...

I have no experience with the ZX-10R velocity stacks (there's that word 'velocity' again), but my initial guess would be that they increase midrange some while slightly hurting top end, as dirt ninja has seen and dyno'd, because all they're doing is increasing runner length slightly. If you feel that the ZX-10R's top end is adequate but want more mid-range, I think an exhaust along with velocity stacks (and proper tuning for those) would give you more midrange but keep the top-end close (or better still).

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have seen bikes run lower numbers if not the same for before and after!! I can say if they jumped your numbers that high I'd love to see both dyno sheets, cause I'm yet to see one and all I ever hear is how it does this,that and what not. Not even velocity its self has anything on there website showing before and after.
Dam you busted me dude! I guess I better quit internet racing around here like some people:wink:...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
prolly cos it sounds like bushizzle (imo)
Wow mate... You've been a member on this forum for 3 days and already sound like an asshole! Congrats.:thefinger

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
In general, shorter runners along with a larger diameter increase top end and take away low end, longer runners along with a smaller diameter increase low end and choke off top end. Shorter vs. longer with the same diameter still has that effect, to a lesser degree. In that case peak power won't be affected as much, but the shorter will shift power up in the range a bit. It's all about total velocity.

I have no experience with the ZX-10R velocity stacks (there's that word 'velocity' again), but my initial guess would be that they increase midrange some while slightly hurting top end, as dirt ninja has seen and dyno'd, because all they're doing is increasing runner length slightly. If you feel that the ZX-10R's top end is adequate but want more mid-range, I think an exhaust along with velocity stacks (and proper tuning for those) would give you more midrange but keep the top-end close (or better still).

:+1: Exactly. This is a good post :thumbsup: And i have seen 3rd party dynos verifying 2-4hp over at almost all the range, more noticably midrange.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
anybody making these for gen 3 yet

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
All I can say (MHO) only, you'll need a PC to make your bike run right and get the most out of it..I tried to do it with out a PC and it's a hit and miss. I may of tried 20+ combonations. It does make your bike sound different :thumbsup:. Once I can afford or get a PC I'll go back and play with it again.. I'd tryied different lenght combo, with and with out the air box..I'm just a poor guy to make my bike go fast:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
All I can say (MHO) only, you'll need a PC to make your bike run right and get the most out of it..I tried to do it with out a PC and it's a hit and miss. I may of tried 20+ combonations. It does make your bike sound different :thumbsup:. Once I can afford or get a PC I'll go back and play with it again.. I'd tryied different lenght combo, with and with out the air box..I'm just a poor guy to make my bike go fast:wink:
Yes you have to get your bike tuned after you install stacks just like any other modification that you do. When i dropped the stacks in i lost power but gained the benefits when i retuned the bike. The bike actually stumbled a little when the stacks were just dropped in without a tune.

·
Registered
644 Posts

hey:cool:
can you tell me the measurements i need to get some made, ie- internal diameter etc
thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts