Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew that velocity stacks have been changed on my bike by the previous owner but could not have a chance yet to check them.

Today I changed my air filter and took a few pictures inside the air box.

Here is what I found. What do you think? Is this good or bad that I found? :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Looks like some custom made ones. I've not seen any that look like those. The taller stacks will give a boost to the midrange.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two outer ones look a bit hackish to me as they were cut a little to fit inside the airbox.

That is why I thought they are worse than the original ones but unfortunately I am not really an expert on this area.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,132 Posts
Who does the bike respond to the throttle? Do you have a PC ? If not, then your bike is not runnung normal. Is your bike sluggish at the start? I had 3 sets made for my 05 (different height) and never got it running right w/o a PC. The v stack does make the bike sound evil as hell tho.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
The two outer ones look a bit hackish to me as they were cut a little to fit inside the airbox.

That is why I thought they are worse than the original ones but unfortunately I am not really an expert on this area.
Even the stock velocity stacks are cut away slightly to clear the airbox side walls.

Looks like these were made with a taper rather than a bell-mouth curve. Not ideal, but the difference between this and the ideal shape is likely too small to notice.

My money is on "doesn't make any difference" in this case.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,132 Posts
I would just go get the stock stacks and compare the two as to see how the bike responds. Like you say, you don't have a PC at the moment, my money will be on going with stock stacks and your bike will be running better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, guys!

I will try to grab a set of stock velocity stacks and do some kind of comparison.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
They look really nice I would leave them but clean all those dead bugs and crap out of there where the filter goes!:lol:

·
Registered
753 Posts
You need to plot the AFR both with the stock stacks and with this custom made set. If the AFR leans out with this set then that is good. If the AFR richens up then they are junk. Simple and decisive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts