Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I'm 1 of those guys that dream of more horse power for little or no money at all. I know free horse:rolleyes:. I took an idea of a hot rod V stack style give it more air as much as possible to the engine. I remove the top of the air box. I lost torque in 1st. gear. Do I need a PC3 to correct the problem? WAIT B4 you guys bash me, I'm 2 poor for a PC3 and 2 cheap for a dyno run.:spit::headshake

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
post pics. if i understand correctly you have removed your air box and filter for direct air flow? how does you set up look? if its just four lil tubes popping upward catching what ever air may land into them from the intake then you may be smoking crack.

·
Registered
319 Posts
post pics. if i understand correctly you have removed your air box and filter for direct air flow? how does you set up look? if its just four lil tubes popping upward catching what ever air may land into them from the intake then you may be smoking crack.
:+1: If this is the case, from the little knowledge I have on how engines work (just 17yrs working with reciprocating and turbine engines) you leaned the air fuel mixture, which will require an adjustment. But, that's just the start, you also have to protect the engine from foreing object damage. As mentioned before, some pics will clarify what you are saying.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
haha seems to me that he is rethinking his revelation?

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get a photo up for you guys to pick apart on Saturday and I'll tell you what I have..Now that I think about it, the set up may be more towards drag use..:idea:Hummmmm?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It seems to me that all he did was remove the lid. Trying to get that old individual Pod filter theory like on an old GPZ. Word of advice keep the lid on. Debri is the least of your worries. Why you lost power is without the lid the scavenging effect our 10R's need is gone. Let me know if you need more explaination.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay here's what I did..I guess it's more for a drag or race set up with a PC3 and a dyno and a custom map. I'll wait for when I have more time and money to play with it. If I had a PC3, I think this set up would work great. So what do you guys think? I'm all ears..

Attachments

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Thats a sure fire way of increasing intake temperatures, you will scavenge heat from the engine , radiators and headers.

Dont do it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
with that mod, does not look beneficial to me. You just lost air pressure you get with the ram air effect within a sealed airbox. Now you are just relying on the piston's intake stroke to suck in air. I would recommend putting the airbox back to what it was, to regain the benefit of ram air.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah that set up aint helpin ya at all..... the shorter the stacks the better top end power you will be gaining as well..... so your low to mid should maybe pick up but thats only at take off speeds..... since you got rid of your ram air your missing out on about 5-10 more hp coming threw the traps..... I suggest running your stock set up if your looking for performance!

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Your intake charge will be a little above ambient with an airbox maybe 90-100 degrees, without it you will pull in heat from the engine 200 degrees, heat from the headers,400 plus degrees , hot air that has gone through the radiator 200 degrees, you will kill the power big time.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the stock set up back on:rolleyes:..I'll make another set to fit into the stock airbox. Going with all same length on 1 set and different lengths on the other..I'll report back later on the results..Told you I'm hard headed:lol:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
:badteeth:Looked sweet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts