Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody seen the 4 stroke motorcycle oil that valvoline sells. on the front. it saids that it protect oil slump clutch. it's not sny, but dino oil. it cost $3.89 a quart here. do anybody use this. i'm going to change my oil saturday. i use val snth right now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not sure :dontknow: but I think it has a high paraffin content! stick with the synthetic, the ole hoe will love you for the extra lubricity(sp) :lol:

·
Registered
583 Posts
:+1: Synthetic is a lot more shear stable! but to be really sure we should consult with swpansey he is the boards tec on oil,,, u~know. Our transmissions "shear" break down dino oil fast, and your left with b.s. Hell I run syn in my lawn mower~har :badteeth:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dreadnought-arr said:
:+1: Synthetic is a lot more shear stable! but to be really sure we should consult with swpansey he is the boards tec on oil,,, u~know. Our transmissions "shear" break down dino oil fast, and your left with b.s. Hell I run syn in my lawn mower~har :badteeth:

Im affraid to even ask. :eyecrazy:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
You guys are funny. All my Ranger buddies think I have testosterone flowing through my veins. If you want a good dino oil the Shell Rotella T 15w40 or the Chevron Delo 15W40 both available at WalMart for a buck and a half a quart in gallon jugs. If you want to stick with a synthetic the Shell Rotella T is good and is probably the cheapest. I use the Mobil 1 15w50 EP also available at Walmart but about five bucks a quart. Stay away from anything motorcycle specific, they are for suckers. For instance the Mobil 1 4XT is about three buck more a quart than the Mobil 1 15w50 and his almost identical in composition. Check out the chemical analysis at Bob Is The Oil Guy Now you don't have to worry about those mysterious "friction modifiers" in your oil.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The Shell Rotella T as well as most HD oils rated for diesels have none of the mysterious "friction modifiers" which is moly. Moly ain't bad for clutchs in limited amounts. The motorcycle specifc Mobil 1s the 4XT and V twin both contain moly in slightly higher amounts than the Mobil 1 15w50 which I use in all my bikes. If money is the object, it is better to buy cheap dino oil and change it more often.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I dunno bout their bike oils but i always used their tri-synthetic in my gsxr with no problems at all. in the kawi im runnin the repsol stuff full syn and seems to work well.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I switched from the Mobile MX4T and went with the Mobile 15w50 that does not have the energy conservation label on the back and have had no probs with it on my 636. I will either use the factory filter or a K&N and Mobile on the 10 also.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
You might consider the PurOne PL14612 fillter, it was one of the best tested and cost like six bucks at Advantage or Pep Boys.If you can believe it the ST7317 generic oil filter from WalMart that cost two bucks also rated very high.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
I use Kendall GT1 and a highflo filter, just change the oil at 1500 and oil and filter at 3000. I have heard the Kendall is one of the best out their for motorcycles but it could be BS.

Tread

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I will have to try that swjohnsey, anything is better than paying $12 for a $3 dollar filter. The K&N is priced better than the factory, but it is still high compaired to a car filter and I dont think a motorcycle puts a filter thru anymore than a car does.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use a fram filter and have o problem with it. it seem like everybody has there ideal of oil. it seem like no one oil really stands out. I'll stick with valvoline sny for now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
rocketracermike said:
I use a fram filter and have o problem with it. it seem like everybody has there ideal of oil. it seem like no one oil really stands out. I'll stick with valvoline sny for now.
:idea: Dude cut that fram filter open! and look at it. Use them if you want but I wouldn't put it on a lawn mower!! :sad:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dreadnought-arr said:
:idea: Dude cut that fram filter open! and look at it. Use them if you want but I wouldn't put it on a lawn mower!! :sad:

Alright.whats wrong with them. Throw me a freakin bone here. I'm the boss. I need the info. :eyecrazy:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts