Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
yeah i would say its normal. i dont listen too close to the noise on start up.. you could always hit the kill and cold crank it a few times to get oil in the head if it makes you nervous..

·
Registered
447 Posts
i.ve experienced the same problem after my bike sits for a week or more but once it warms up it goes away:dontknow:

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have a noise when it's cold and then goes away i'm almost sure it's a problem with the cam-chain tensioner, i ordered a new one for about 80.00 bucks i should have it about wednesday, it's an easy install, i will let you know if it fixes it for me.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Vince10R said:
I'm getting a valve train noise(tapping) only on cold start after sitting. Anyone ever had a problem like this? It goes away in less than 10 seconds. Any suggestions on what may be causing this? Thanks, Vince
How many miles? If its fairly new and not abused I would replace the oil filter and go from there. Also I'm not sure if you're using a heavy oil i.e 20W50. Heavier weighing oil takes a while to reach your valve train during cold starts. I use 5w40 all year.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
onetoncj said:
i have a noise when it's cold and then goes away i'm almost sure it's a problem with the cam-chain tensioner, i ordered a new one for about 80.00 bucks i should have it about wednesday, it's an easy install, i will let you know if it fixes it for me.
It has nothing to do with your cam chain tensioner. Remember you mentioned the noise "goes away" meaning its not mechanical. Save that receipt and return that part. Parts changing vodoo is a very expensive game.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
conspiracy said:
How many miles? If its fairly new and not abused I would replace the oil filter and go from there. Also I'm not sure if you're using a heavy oil i.e 20W50. Heavier weighing oil takes a while to reach your valve train during cold starts. I use 5w40 all year.
conspiracy, It has around 6000 miles on it. I have about 75 1/4 mile passes on it and I run full synthetic oil. I change the oil every 15 passes.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Vince10R said:
conspiracy, It has around 6000 miles on it. I have about 75 1/4 mile passes on it and I run full synthetic oil. I change the oil every 15 passes.
Holly crap!!! I did'nt know that you're in to drag racing. If that's the case I would get the valve clearance checked. When you're racing you can't go by the factory recommended maintenance intervals no more. I would get that check immediately. What weight oil do you use?

·
Registered
72 Posts
i don't know me and a buddy were using an automotive stethiscope on it and it sounds like it's coming from the cam tensioner-we are almost positive of it- i'v changed my oil twice and switched from 20w50 to 10w50 full synthetic, and i just had my valves adjusted. a buddy of mine with a R1 described the same thing when it got warm it went away it ended up being his cam tensioner i think he said it was a defective spring in the tensioner which was catching on something and then releasing after it warmed up????? mine doesn't sound good at all so i'm doing a little process of elimination. and just hoping/praying it fixes it. oh i also just turned 6000 miles. 2005 10r

·
Registered
72 Posts
Update

UPDATE, I installed the new cam chain tensioner and it doesn't make any noise anymore (besides the usually valve-train noise) i'm very very happy and i sugest if anybody ever hears anything they consider looking at the CCT. it worked for me. Now lets just see how long it lasts. lolol i love my bike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts