Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if people who have checked clearances found their valves needed adjusting, or if they were fine. I'm trying to determine if it would be wise to check mine. My engine has maybe 9,000 miles, and sounds fine (not noisy).

I know it would be wise, but wondering how hard I should try to squeeze it in before my next race. I've already got a pretty full to-do list. including a trip to the dyno.

Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I havent checked valves on a bike since I had a an old zx6r long termer (I havent kept a bike long enough since to hit the service interval). I took the bike to a kawasaki shop to get the valves checked. they told me that they were all in spec, and promptly charged me 300 dollars.

so...I decided that this couldnt be right, but how to prove it. I took the cam cover off and checked them myself. what do you know, I had THREE exhaust valves that were too tight and one intake valve also that had to be shimmed. assholes didnt even do the work!

I learned my lesson: never trust a stealer shop, and learn to do valves yourself. if you have the engine in a car it should be extremely easy. the biggest pain with checking on bikes is that it's hard to access the top of the motor. if you find a good dealer you can trade shims with them and not have to spend any money other than a new gasket. patience and a quality feeler gauge are your friends.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
for the most part I've found they are usually with in perfect spec if they arent noisy. I'd go along with the saying if it aint broke dont fix it for only 9k miles on it lol.....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Checked mine at 12k all were fine

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect. Sounds like a good, easy Winter time check.

That's good. I have plenty of other things to try and get done before our season ending race at Road Atlanta. I wont be a contender for the win (against $60,000 cars with better drivers than me), but hope to do well and have fun.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Perfect. Sounds like a good, easy Winter time check.

That's good. I have plenty of other things to try and get done before our season ending race at Road Atlanta. I wont be a contender for the win (against $60,000 cars with better drivers than me), but hope to do well and have fun.
isnt what its all about!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Russ, checking them isn't that difficult, pretty much just remove the valve cover and rotate the motor to get the cams in the right spot to check the individual lobes. Adjusting them is the difficult part. If all you are looking for is peace of mind on the condition that should be easy.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you find the clearences tight, you have been bouncing it off the rev limiter. If you find them with in factory tolerances you have been running it to its capability but not too hard. When you do the adjustment big clearances help midrange, slightly close adj slightly favor high rpm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts