Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm am replacing my valve cover gasket after i do my valve adjustment.
I know these Gen 1's are notorious for the valve cover gaskets leaking on the left front side of the engine.

My question here is...
Have any of you guys found a way to stop it from re-occurring after installing a new gasket??
Like maybe a little permatex on that side of the gasket?
Something ya know so it doesn't happen again.

Any thoughts guys??
Would appreciate your input.

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mines started to leak too! Such a pain in the ass. Maybe a new gasket will be enough?

Sent from my iPhone4 using Motorcycle.com app sucka

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used a thin layer of black rtv silicone all around when i put a new gasket on. Figured it won't hurt. Haven't noticed any leaks after.

·
Registered
469 Posts
gasket maker 1194, aka hondabond, yamabond ect.. stay away from autozone gasket maker crap.

i simply used that on my stock gasket and it stopped the leak.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
yeah need to address this on my bike as well, figure when i do the plugs, valve adjustment and clean the air filter..

might give the old hondabond a shot.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gasket maker 1194, aka hondabond, yamabond ect.. stay away from autozone gasket maker crap.

i simply used that on my stock gasket and it stopped the leak.

I'll pick some of that up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hellrazor, you upset me haha, after reading this poste yesterday just after you posted it, i was cleaning my bike and just happened to look at the motor before i left for a ride and noticed a small leak in the front left corner as you stated. But im glad you posted this or else maybe i woulda found out when it was too late haha...so now im debating on waiting till it gets worse to change the gasket, or just go ahead and do it and do a valve adjustment and spark plugs early, as im only at 11k on my gen 1

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hellrazor, you upset me haha, after reading this poste yesterday just after you posted it, i was cleaning my bike and just happened to look at the motor before i left for a ride and noticed a small leak in the front left corner as you stated. But im glad you posted this or else maybe i woulda found out when it was too late haha...so now im debating on waiting till it gets worse to change the gasket, or just go ahead and do it and do a valve adjustment and spark plugs early, as im only at 11k on my gen 1
Yeah 11K is too early to do your valves, just replace the valve cover gasket and plugs
and call it a day bro.
Wait till around 16K for your valve adjustment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey guys my 04 zx10 is leaking oild from what looks to be the valve cover on the left side of the motor looking around about this and i found the if the oil is full that it will leak out the breather but the more i look at it then it actually looks like the gasket so hellsrazor is u replace the valve cover would u be able to let me know how long it look and how easy/hard its gonna be thanks guys hope to here from ya

·
Registered
265 Posts
(When I had my 1st GEN) Valve cover gasket was leaking for a while before I replaced it. I'm pretty sure I did 1 full season of trackdays + some street riding after I noticed the leak, but didn't want to deal with tearing the bike down then as I try to do major repairs and maintenance in winter time. Leak didn't get much worse, I kept an eye on it tho. It was more of an oil sweating through the gasket but not dripping. So I'd say you can go for a while with it, if it's not leaking bad.

·
Registered
265 Posts
hey guys my 04 zx10 is leaking oild from what looks to be the valve cover on the left side of the motor looking around about this and i found the if the oil is full that it will leak out the breather but the more i look at it then it actually looks like the gasket so hellsrazor is u replace the valve cover would u be able to let me know how long it look and how easy/hard its gonna be thanks guys hope to here from ya

Breather hose bottle is one thing ( this is oil excess from airbox ), valve cover gasket is another. Don't overfill the bike with oil, as it may create a weak point in already compromised valve cover gasket on GEN 1.
Yes, leak @ left top corner on engine block> means you need to replace valve cover gasket. Took me longer than expected, prolly 4-5 hrs, but i took my time and cleaned evrything as i went. Also put in new plugs, checked valve clearance etc...Side fairings,Tank, airbox, throttle bodies, top engine mounts etc. need to come off. So it is a little time consuming, but wasn't that hard with service manual on hand

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well the only thing about that is,
I pulled my engine out of the bike to do some other work.
I'm doing my valve adjustment, replacing my plugs and the valve cover.
Oh, and my clutch too

So I can't tell you how hard it would be to do it with the engine in the bike bro.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I replaced the gasket and it was leaking a year afterward. It doesn't stream out, but it's more like a sweat.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I just deal with it. Clean it up every once in a while.

·
Registered
55 Posts
got to looking around on the bike to see if i could find the problem sure the valve cover is sweating a little bit but im pretty sure i found the cause of the oil leak i was seeing. i recently just bought the bike from a dealer i put about i would say 200 miles maybe on it parked it and saw it leaking so i took all the body work off and was looking around under the header all over. came to looking at the oil filter yup there it was the dealer forgo to tighten the oil filter and they even over filled the oil by about 3/4 of a liter pretty sure im only buying from private sellers from now on

1 - 20 of 29 Posts