Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to do the plugs and factory air filter, and noticed my valve cover gasket is starting to leak. I got 11k on the bike, is this common with these bikes??

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
i am about to do the plugs and factory air filter, and noticed my valve cover gasket is starting to leak. I got 11k on the bike, is this common with these bikes??
Not only is it commone, several have changed it only to have it still leak. A major PITA for the First Gens, nothing worse than a leaky engine. Mine finally started doiing it and it drives me crazy too.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Mine does it and it don't bother me at all! ahahaha.

I just wipe it down whenever i have the bodywork off (which is fairly frequently).

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
You guys must not be obsesive compulsive as me. That kinda shit makes me loose sleep at night.:BangHead::suicide: I know, I know, i have issues:crackup:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You guys must not be obsesive compulsive as me. That kinda shit makes me loose sleep at night.:BangHead::suicide: I know, I know, i have issues:crackup:

I dont think ANYONE is as OCD as you. But then again, your bike and my bike arent really the same thing. Both loaded up with fun parts (yours more so) but as long as mine is straight, cleanish and running well i'm happy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am very picky myself i will replace it and the spark plug gaskets as well, and i will apply sealer to make sure it does not leak again. I am going to flush my coolant i have not in 11 k miles and i will clean the radiator as well. I am going to adjust the valves as well. Alot of you guys remove the secondary flies, but to me that seems it might need tuning after, which i do not have the cash for. Does anyone know what really needs to be done after the flies are removed because i am considering doing that adjustment..
thanks for all your help i am new to the forum and i am glad to be part of it, i learned a lot about my bike!!

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
:+1:Your like me 9R, but I think your disorder is worse than mine,lol. My Bloo Angel had a minor leak too after putting her back together from a valve adjustment and after a few days I decided to tear it back down and fix it. I couldn't stand it any longer. Put a new gasket in and applied a thin layer of sealer to all the gaskets. then washed the motor and polished the headers back to new lookin'.:mrgreen: ...Gotta keep up with the 9R's....:badteeth:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
:+1:Your like me 9R, but I think your disorder is worse than mine,lol. My Bloo Angel had a minor leak too after putting her back together from a valve adjustment and after a few days I decided to tear it back down and fix it. I couldn't stand it any longer. Put a new gasket in and applied a thin layer of sealer to all the gaskets. then washed the motor and polished the headers back to new lookin'.:mrgreen: ...Gotta keep up with the 9R's....:badteeth:
Actually I did the opposite.....since many members reported leaking after a new gasket I just applied sealant and never bought a new one...so far so good and even if it leaks that's still no better than what many have reported because a new gasket doesn't solve the problem it seems.:badteeth:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if i can get the present gasket out without tearing or stretching it i will apply sealer and reuse it, but if it hard and junk rubber then i will get a new one, i honestly think it needs to be tightened and it should be fine, i dont want to wait 7 days for a gasket to come in from the dealer they want $36 for the gasket and $28 for the 4 spark plug gaskets

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as far as a car goes if u get a valve cover gasket you want to get the spark plug gaskets because after being bolted down the gaskets compress and become hard, so i figured i would replace all the gaskets so they can be fresh, i plan to not do this job again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts