Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

valve cover gasket leaking

19K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  andykcycle3 
#1 ·
I've searched all over zx-12r.org and can't find anything about this issue. First off, what would cause the valve cover gasket to leak? Looks as if I will have to drop the motor to change it out.

#5 ·
well its an 03 with roughly 10k, (guy dropped a tooth in the front with 100miles on the clock and never got a speedo healer) actual miles show 16k. which to me doesn't seem that being too old would be an issue and miles shouldn't really either. i'll give it another look see and see if i can get'r done

#8 ·
i have a 08 zx14 with the same issue im gonna try with red runner suguested. i have about 700 miles though, im not to happy.

#13 ·
my 03 has 52000 mi. I do all the vlv. adj. myself. the way the gasket is designed, it will leak about 25-30,000 mi. The rubber gets hard and doesnt seal. The best way to fix is replace the gasket, spark plug hole gaskets, and the washers around the bolt holes. When I do my valves, I remove the radiator, this will give you lots of room. one very important thing to look for while your in there. Locate the engine mount on the front of the head. The bolts going into the head vibrate loose, then fall out. Now the engine is hanging from the rear and the frame will crack in the air box. Remove the bolts, lock tight and torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.