Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I'm in the process of doing a valve check and I'm curious if the valve cover gasket is reuseable and if it is reuseable how many times can you reuse the same gasket? I bought this bike second hand and I'm not sure if the gasket was ever reused so I'm abit curious if I might be able to get away with using the same one. If I do reuse the same gasket, do I use a gasket sealer along the whole surface. In the service manual it looks like the gasket sealer is only where the camshafts lay.

Thanks

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Me personally man, i'd replace it if at all possible.....i've re-used gaskets on side covers and in conjunction with sealer BUT on the valve cover, if that bitch leaks then it seems like a shit ton of work just to replace it AGAIN. just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Me personally man, i'd replace it if at all possible.....i've re-used gaskets on side covers and in conjunction with sealer BUT on the valve cover, if that bitch leaks then it seems like a shit ton of work just to replace it AGAIN. just my 2 cents though.
:+1: The valve cover gasket is notorious for leaking on Kawis especially after opened, you should be safer changing it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I'll go ahead and order one. I've just read of others reusing thats why I ask. Also when I install the new gasket can someone provide me clarification on the gasket sealant. In the manual it looks like I only bead it where the camshafts lay o_O

Advice?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I have done 2 of these recently. Make sure if you are not going to use rtv that you order new grommets for the valve cover mounting bolts as well, they do not come with the gasket. I have done 2 of them recently, one with new gasket, black rtv, and no new grommets, its been holding perfect for over a month. I just did my bike like a week ago, i re-used the gasket and added rtv as well, seems to be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts