Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got valve cover gasket blown, on my zx10r 2012, just a few seconds after engine start, still on idle, warm engine.
Gasket was replaced three months ago by the service. Bike was working with no glitch.
If anyone had same issue and sort it out?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Blown gasket with low crankcase pressure to me can only mean it was not fitted correctly, possibly pinched on torque down due to not being seated correctly, possibly not torqued down correctly, it may not have been a new gasket when it was serviced. Its unlikely to be a warped cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gasket was brand new, I have order it from Kawasaki, with ton of spares it was quite big service.
And why it blows during the idling?

·
Registered
831 Posts
So many reasons it could've failed. My guess is that the install didn't use sealant on the semi-circular portions of the gasket or the gasket was damaged like Michael said.

I recommend just doing this service yourself. It's not that hard, the gasket is cheap and it should only take you about 3-4 hours for your first time.

·
The Pace
7,240 Posts
How many miles on the bike? What was the total service that you mentioned? Give all details so these tech guys here don't over-step logic.

Next, What flag you flying? First thing Americans would do is GENTLY call service manager to report the problem then sort the response. Did you or not do that step? If so, what did admin say?

We need details, not your tears; not being mean, but simply trying to sort the facts, and ONLY the facts.

As in,, details about that gasket being replaced: valves? If so, first thought is that tech did NOT replace the gasket.

Above doesn't mean anything, but simply based upon thinking. Or math, or whatever intelligence you want to use; And that's what the tech guy's here, mostly American, need, as they think that everyone in the world thinks like us. I don't, cause one of my academis backgrounds is anthropology. Yes, my professors so hated me, only because my other background is math, at all levels. Yes by math profs hated, only because my third background is history. No I'm not a polymorph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, scope of work of last service( three months ago):
  • cylinder head removal and ultrasonic cleaning,
  • valve seals replacement
  • valve clearance check and adjustment
-oil and filter change
- air filter replacement
-spark plugs replacement
  • distribution chain replacement
  • distribution chain tensioner replacement
  • cylinders leak test done after service
All part are OEM from Kawasaki certified dealer.

Bike did 2 track days, and did 3k Km, oil and filter renewed two weeks ago.
We remove valve cover and visually checked no blow by traces,no clogged vents, we will do the leak test for the cylinders today or tomorrow.
Strange thing is that gasket did not blow during the ride, but few seconds after warm engine start, on idle RPM.
Even after that engine was idling normally.
And yes I trust the guys from the service fully,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So many reasons it could've failed. My guess is that the install didn't use sealant on the semi-circular portions of the gasket or the gasket was damaged like Michael said.

I recommend just doing this service yourself. It's not that hard, the gasket is cheap and it should only take you about 3-4 hours for your first time.
Again, the gasket was replaced during the bigger service,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,
I have contacted for this problem a zx guru from Croatia Mr. Blazevic.
He immediately tell me that my stator is burned, check your stator it is probably black and burned, he said.
And I checked, and it was burned. Shortened coil burned oil and build up the pressure to crank space.
Never come to my mind to connect burned coils with blown gasket, but he was right.
I have found that my rectifier has shortened one phase , burned my stator and blown gasket was result.
If you have same issue with cover gasket check your stator and let me know is it same with you.
Looking forward to see your reply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts