Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering for anyone who has done it.......will I need to drop the motor to get the cover off to get a new gasket on?? Have had 3 05's and never had one leak......just bought an 04 and it has a little leak.....so wanna learn how to do it myself. Also if I'm in there should I check the valves while I'm at it?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I did mine last year. no you don't have to drop the motor but you have to take damn near everything off of it. Air box, throttle bodies, radiator needs to be at least unbolted and let hang. A lot of hoses and wires to remember if you've never done it before. I recommend a roll of masking tape and number each electrical or hose connection on the wire or hose and the corresponding placement. Remove your coils and plugs. By the way in order to get the two out side coils out of the head you will have to take the two top motor mounts off (located on the under side of the frame up close to the head stock). After all that you'll be able to remove the valve cover no problem. Do yourself a favor and spend the $30 for a new gasket, don't just silicone the old one because if it leaks again it's a pain in the ass to have to tear down that far a second time. Watch your torque specs on the valve cover bolts when you reinstall, you don't want to strip one.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok sweet.....thanks for the responses guys!! Much appreciated....seems like the ignition is a bit janky on this bike so I may do a wire harness and ignition swap......previous owner spliced in some heated grips and seems like a mess was made.....might be a little break before I get it out again this spring.

·
Registered
694 Posts
its very straight forward.. you can not really plug something wrong .. ive done it many time and do it with engine on the bike.. Not worth taking it off

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I did mine last year. no you don't have to drop the motor but you have to take damn near everything off of it. Air box, throttle bodies, radiator needs to be at least unbolted and let hang. A lot of hoses and wires to remember if you've never done it before. I recommend a roll of masking tape and number each electrical or hose connection on the wire or hose and the corresponding placement. Remove your coils and plugs. By the way in order to get the two out side coils out of the head you will have to take the two top motor mounts off (located on the under side of the frame up close to the head stock). After all that you'll be able to remove the valve cover no problem. Do yourself a favor and spend the $30 for a new gasket, don't just silicone the old one because if it leaks again it's a pain in the ass to have to tear down that far a second time. Watch your torque specs on the valve cover bolts when you reinstall, you don't want to strip one.
This is the best advice I can give as well but with one caveat that since I been on this site for 10yrs and this is a common issue and fixes vary....the caveat is some don't replace the Gasket but put a washer on the top Valve cover screws since it seems the screws/bolts are to long in the first place to create a good seal with the tapered end.....my last round I did both though and not a drip since many reported in the past new gasket and the problem still came back........so just wanting to give you a choice either way don't use gasket sealant try both methods or just the new gasket suggestion.

Bloo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts