Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 zx10r is at 16000miles, looking for average cost on a dealership or shop checking valve clearance? If I run my bike till end of season am I risking engine damage if I don't get it checked now? Or is their recommendation Overkill within reason?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Gen 4 is more of a pain to adjust then any other gen. Shop probably easily charge 5/6 hrs labor or more. All mine were still in spec at 16500 when i checked

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gen 4 is more of a pain to adjust then any other gen. Shop probably easily charge 5/6 hrs labor or more. All mine were still in spec at 16500 when i checked
So are you saying I can wait another 3,000 miles and do it in the spring? Or do it asap?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Every bike is different but I haven't seen many zx10 out of spec very far at 16k, if it's running and starts fine you should be ok

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,033 Posts
Maintenance schedules are there for a reason. And that reason is to verify that everything is working as it should. "Better safe than sorry" is the old adage. :wink: It will be mandatory on some bikes and useless on others. Unless you do the checking, you'll never know. The problem is there is no way to classify this based on what others get. It totally depends on how the bike is ridden, how it's maintained in other areas, and what the starting point was. They set a catch-all value against the maintenance schedule to cover everyone.

It's not one of those things that you should stop riding for and rush out to do. It's also not one of those things that should be neglected for another 5k miles or more. Look at your calendar to find some free time, make an appointment in the future that fits that, and just get it done when that fits in.

It will likely take a shop the better part of a day to do it. Most of that time is stripping the bike. You can shorten that by stripping down the bike yourself and taking it to them ready to check. Otherwise it's likely to be a $5-600 or more job (depending on what they charge for shop rates) and what else they find. Strip it down yourself and you can cut half the cost of that off if you talk to the shop about it and they'll work with you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
run a simple 4 cyl compression test to determine cylinder psi and balance, will tell u what u need to know as far as performance and being safe.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maintenance schedules are there for a reason. And that reason is to verify that everything is working as it should. "Better safe than sorry" is the old adage. :) It will be mandatory on some bikes and useless on others. Unless you do the checking, you'll never know. The problem is there is no way to classify this based on what others get. It totally depends on how the bike is ridden, how it's maintained in other areas, and what the starting point was. They set a catch-all value against the maintenance schedule to cover everyone.

It's not one of those things that you should stop riding for and rush out to do. It's also not one of those things that should be neglected for another 5k miles or more. Look at your calendar to find some free time, make an appointment in the future that fits that, and just get it done when that fits in.

It will likely take a shop the better part of a day to do it. Most of that time is stripping the bike. You can shorten that by stripping down the bike yourself and taking it to them ready to check. Otherwise it's likely to be a $5-600 or more job (depending on what they charge for shop rates) and what else they find. Strip it down yourself and you can cut half the cost of that off if you talk to the shop about it and they'll work with you.
Thank you sir for your informative response. I will definately get it checked soon but definately not scared to ride it for a little longer. Thanks again!

Thank you sir

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thank you sir for your informative response. I will definately get it checked soon but definately not scared to ride it for a little longer. Thanks again!

Thank you sir
I would relax if I were you and get it done when you have the time on your schedule. In the meantime I wouldn't worry at all about engine damage by going over a bit.

The valves will typically tighten up a little (reduced clearance) over time due to valve seat regression and then stabilize. The first check is the most important for this reason but even if they are a little tight, it's not going to grenade your motor. The inspection schedule from the manufacture is very conservative IMHO to take into account the worst case scenario.

If you ran it way over and a valve or two tightened up excessively, the reduced clearance would hold a valve off it's seat and cause the loss of compression and hard starting symptoms mentioned earlier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts