Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that have had your valves checked/adjusted. (15K service): How many of you actually needed an adjustment and how many of you came back within spec? My 6R was fine at 30K and I just read an article about a guy who put 288K on his R1 and was within spec until 160K

·
Registered
524 Posts
Haven't had the pleasure to do this on the ZX10 yet but did it a couple times on my older ZRX1200R. Did one at l5,0000 and another about 30 thou. and didn't need any shims either time. A couple were close.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It would be nice if they were all like that, but I advise you to check it anyway, just for peace of mind. Yeah, I know it's a drag, but at least checking doesn't require removing the camshafts.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
It would be nice if they were all like that, but I advise you to check it anyway, just for peace of mind. Yeah, I know it's a drag, but at least checking doesn't require removing the camshafts.

:+1:....it was just peace of mind for me as well but was ready to Rip the Cams off and bought a shim kit, downloaded "how TOs" for addition Tips and with well over 20k miles it turned out all were in spec only one on the exhaust side was close to being out of spec.....awesome for a powerful bike :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
:+1:....it was just peace of mind for me as well but was ready to Rip the Cams off and bought a shim kit, downloaded "how TOs" for addition Tips and with well over 20k miles it turned out all were in spec only one on the exhaust side was close to being out of spec.....awesome for a powerful bike :thumbsup:

:+2::crackup::eek:ccasion1

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,380 Posts
Those of you that have had your valves checked/adjusted. (15K service): How many of you actually needed an adjustment and how many of you came back within spec? My 6R was fine at 30K and I just read an article about a guy who put 288K on his R1 and was within spec until 160K
Wait a second!
back up!
You're telling me these bikes can make it to at least 150k?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait a second!
back up!
Sure, why not? It's all in the maintenance and how you ride it.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Wait a second!
back up!
Sure, why not? It's all in the maintenance and how you ride it.
:+2: thats bad ass to know...but how powerful will the bike be at those miles?

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
No doubt I will check them, just curious how long people have been able to go before needing to re-shim/adjust them.
I haven't checked mine, 23K + miles..It's not broken, I won't fix it..

·
Registered
46 Posts
my 06 10r just hit 19,700 miles.....i've only changed oil and filter every 3-4k miles so far.....and many tires too..:rolleyes:

just ordered some new spark plugs and uni air filter....hope my babys valves are ok when i open her up..

·
Registered
6 Posts
i did mine in january (04 gen1 at 16k) and 3 of the inlets were slightly tighter than the min clearance allowed and most of the others were right on the limit, had a bit swap about with some of the shims and ordered 6 or 7 new shims to make them nearly all equal

Ozz

·
Registered
620 Posts
Checked mine at 12k, i was changing plugs and removing the AIS so figured i would check while i was that close. Had one exhaust valve a little loose compared to the others but well within spec. If it would have been as simple as adjusting it with a screw I probably would have, but I didn't feel it warranted pulling the cams. All the others were fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts