Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has done one? how hard are they? when should they be done? just post general info please :cool:

thanks in advance
david

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Checked mine at 15K and all were in spec.

Its a pain in the ass job to reshim though as you dont have much room for working on the vavle gear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about that guys! so you checked yours at 15k and they were all straight???? i thougth it was a ever 5k miles thing????

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
From 6/7 kawis that Ive owned none needed valve adjustment till around 30-40k miles. The valves will tell you when the time comes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im guessing you will hear it??? lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
How will the valves tell you?
There is already so much noise coming out of this engine as it is.....

·
Registered
614 Posts
I did mine as 12k (kilometres) on the '04 10R. About 6 of them needed swapping out to come right back in the middle of the range, but none of them were "out" of tolerance.

24K (kays) is by the book, but it's up to you if you do them earlier. It's a bit of a pain in the arse to get down to it, but by the time you've gone to the trouble of changing spark plugs in the 1st gen it isn't a huge deal to keep going. Once you do it once it becomes much quicker, but the first time does take quite a leap of faith and plenty of patience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i only have 1700 miles on my 05 10r got it 2 months ago. a valve tick..(at least thats what i believe it to be) started happening about 200 miles ago and it seems to be slightly louder now, anyhow should i go to the trouble to check em? Will it hurt the 10r motor much if i ignore it for a while? and should i even be getting ticks at that low mileage? :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
43 Posts
most if not all kawasaki motors have valve noise. Its not just the 10. I wouldnt even think about doing a valve adjustment at 1,700miles. Like everyone else says....you probably wont find one out of spec. I've done plenty of valve adjustments at 10-15,000miles without any valves out of spec.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I had the dealership do mine on my old 6R and ended up paying a chunk of money for them to tell me they were within specs. I think I'm going to do mine on my own this time. Just takes a lot of time from what I understand. I think I have around 7500 on my bike and I probaby won't check them until 15,000 and it's making noise now...I'm going to try to roll my bike back in 5th gear 6-8 feet like they say to help eliminate some of that ticking sound tonight.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Yer injectors maybe doin a lil of that tickin as well..For a kawi a lil tickin is the norm..

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Yeah the problem seems to be what is a "little" ticking and what is "loud" ticking, etc.

I struggle not having anything else to compare it to...ya know what I mean?

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Go to a dealer..or a known tuner..letem have a listen..Dont sit here waitin for an answer...

·
RIPPED & BOLTON RULE !
3,186 Posts
sorry guys i know this is a old thread, but all i could find with options, i have a 04 10r and the mileage is just over 17000, and pending the gear im in, i can hear the valves make that rattle. mostly in first-third pending what im doing, granted its oil change time so i will be doing that this weekend, and it might make a difference. but im seeing that the normal change is about 24k for valve adjustments which i figure is based on your riding, and i plan on track days soon and dont wont to end up with motor problems after investing that money for hotels and track fees for the motor to mess up over valves.

as for a turner in town we dont have one ill end up in memphis or birmingham for someone to do it.

as for a shop to do the adjustment ? i have one guy i " trust " to do but the preformance is not affected by the valves but i do not wont this to be the calm before the storm.

any ideas or thoughts. ?

·
Registered
614 Posts
i have a 04 10r and the mileage is just over 17000
I'm in Aus, therefore I quoted in kilometres. 24,000km = 14,900 miles. So if you have 17,000 miles yes, it will definately be due for the shims. Not a huge job technically, just time consuming to get in there and then put it all back together. If you're giving it to a shop to do I'd start saving your pennies, it'l probably be in the vicinity of 5 hours of labour. The shims themsevles are cheap, prob less than $5 USD each.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts