Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experts want to help?

I know we have a Sticky on the 06 ZX10R but does anyone want to help me create one for the 1st Gen?

I mean in layman's terms and Understanding like if you put the the timing mark on Piston 1:4 setting it doesn't mean you are at Compression stroke to take an adjustment on piston 1. I just never seen a Good how to for those that want to tackle it with confidence. :headshake then other things how to get the Cam chain back on right with Pics etc.

I have my bike on the lift right now and it will be for the next week or so as I don't have time to do or investigate how this should be done right but will record with others input and my camera always available how to do a Better How To that most can understand including myself.....basically would like this to be the best "How To" ever when done but need some help or Input to make it right. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
239 Posts
i am half way done with mine. I have the head off i took a few pictures on the teardown but now many. if you can provide the pics before i can provide the after.

i did what the book said untill it comes to measuring more than 1 cyl at a time at tdc. I put each cyl at tdc and measured intake and exhaust together when there is no pressure on the bucket. i have some serious milage and my exhaust were only off toward the tight side but still within spec.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am half way done with mine. I have the head off i took a few pictures on the teardown but now many. if you can provide the pics before i can provide the after.

i did what the book said untill it comes to measuring more than 1 cyl at a time at tdc. I put each cyl at tdc and measured intake and exhaust together when there is no pressure on the bucket. i have some serious milage and my exhaust were only off toward the tight side but still within spec.
I'm measuring right now. So far everything seems tight. I guess there wasn't to much interest on a 04/05 10R Valve adjust but I am taking pictures and seen many things wrong already to make it simple that Drainfades "how to" does not cover like turn the bike over 180deg to measure the other values which is totally wrong. The firing order on these bikes is 1,2,4,3 and when I get time will explain how to know but it should be turned over 360deg from 1 or 4 and measure....that's something the "How To" doesn't cover. :wink:...stay tuned my bike will be on the lift another week as I have work and other things going on so taking my time. I hope to have a "how to" out within the month. :thumbsup:

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can someone tell me the purpose of a valve adjustment IM almost @ 15k and is absolutely necessary??

yes it's necessary would you want your bike drawing to little intake gases or not releasing exhaust gases soon enough or many other things that make your bike unbalanced. You also should do a carb sync after the Valves are verified in tolerance so everything is synced right.

Since there was little response anyway to see pics and a how to on the 04 it will have to wait until winter when I will check again. I just took measurements and my 20k bike is within tolerance through out the range and most importantly the the intakes are SPOT ON, I always knew Bloo bikes where made on Wednesday :lol: but that is just awesome.:thumbsup:

Time to button up everything I am missing some awesome weather riding in Nor Cal. :BangHead::thumbsup:

bloo

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going to check my valve clearances on my 04 tomorrow, only have 12,000km but debating wether to change to plugs while I have it apart, they are fairly pricey though. My manual says "plugs at 12,000km"

Has anyone verified the timing marks are in fact bang on TDC?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The stock marks are close enough for all but the most extreme modifications; here is a picture of the piston stop I use, turn the engine over one way and note position of the crank, turn it back the other way and TDC is half way between.
Also pictured is case with pistons and degree wheel, clay to check valve clearence after clipping the head 0.025in. The engine pictured is an 04.
David

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
checked my valves at 20k and all were good. just did it the way the manual specified.

I'm going to check my valve clearances on my 04 tomorrow, only have 12,000km but debating wether to change to plugs while I have it apart, they are fairly pricey though. My manual says "plugs at 12,000km"
might as well change the plugs since your there already. by 9-10k miles i need em changed already.

·
Registered
340 Posts
As far as cheap plugs go to Advance Auto Parts if there is one near you, Got OEM NGK Plugs for $6 something a piece. Dealership wanted over $13 a piece for the exact same thing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
What really matters is to measure when there is no pressure on the bucket. It doesnt matter if you are on the compresion stroke.

The valve adjustement is done to maintain the gap that is designed taking into account the expansion in valves due to heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts