Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has allergies really bad, they got her on 5 pills and some shots. Well the vacuum went kaput on us today, so I'm thinking of splurging on a nice vacuum that can perhaps help with the animal dander. See what you queers have and if you like them. I know circusnuts has the Dyson and loves it...Kirby is too much for me...I'd rather get some marchesini wheels for $1500.

ANyone have or use a "ionizer" my folks have the oreck one which competes with the sharper image ionic breeze. They also said consumer reports said they dont work...pretty strong words from consumer reports though. Any personal thoughts?

·
Registered
536 Posts
You really want a HEPA purifier if you have allergies. Yes, the filters are somewhat expensive, but you can stretch them out. They are OK as long as you are still getting good airflow. Look for a model with a foam pre-filter and an ionizer. Even if the unit doesn't have a pre-filter, you can get a piece of thin foam from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and cut it to fit over the filter. It will make your HEPA filter last twice as long.

I got a Bissell vacuum with a HEPA filter from Sam's for $88, and it works great. Also bought a set of 3 HEPA purifiers from them for $129. This should leave you lots of money left over for mods. :) I leave the purifiers on 24/7 and the air quality is great. Crank them on high when you are vacuuming or dusting.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you can't go hardwood floors then get a rainbow vacuum, it uses water instead of bags and traps all the dust etc. We bought one about 8 years ago,(they are something like 1500 also, but worth it) they are bulletproof and even after we changed to hardwood floors my wife refuses to get rid of it.

Also my mom has bad allergies and the doctor recommended one and the insurance paid for it, ask your doctor and insurance about it they may cover it if it reduces her drugs needed to control her problems

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/eng/

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
BN
I have year round allergies. I have a Kirby vac for what little bit of carpet I do have in the home. When I built this house I made sure it was more Hardwood than carpet. I also have a Defender HEPA whole house air filter, and a Ion filter. I also use a HEPA filter for the Blower for the HVAC for the house. Consentrate on filtering the air in your home with HEPA filters. Then find a good vacume. Dysons work well too. Most of peoples allergies are worse at home, because the air inside is up worse than the air outside. It's a bitch to live with, and VERY exspensive. But, it's your wifes health we are talking about.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Don't have allergies myself but I do have two large dogs in a small space/hardwood floor. I also smoke.

I had a first Gen. ionic breeze with only two blades and no frills as are offered now.
It worked great in a one car garage size space.

It's kind of like how your tv screen or computer attract dust.

The fact that it's silent is the best part.

I had to clean the blades and the junk on them came from somewhere, so don't know about consumer reports. I broke mine after a year or more and traded it back for store credit.
New ones seem real nice but pricey- they offer deals when you buy two or more.

I now have an Alpine air ionizer/ filter that I crank up when I cook -it helps tremendously.

They can be pricey and hard to find. Check ebay.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
zx-7rking said:
BN
I have year round allergies. I have a Kirby vac for what little bit of carpet I do have in the home. When I built this house I made sure it was more Hardwood than carpet. I also have a Defender HEPA whole house air filter, and a Ion filter. I also use a HEPA filter for the Blower for the HVAC for the house. Consentrate on filtering the air in your home with HEPA filters. Then find a good vacume. Dysons work well too. Most of peoples allergies are worse at home, because the air inside is up worse than the air outside. It's a bitch to live with, and VERY exspensive. But, it's your wifes health we are talking about.
DITTO on the house filters

1 - 9 of 9 Posts