Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I don't even remeber what I was looking at, and I read something about the maximum lean angle for the Michelin Pilot Powers currently on my bike. I didn't realize how far down you can actually go! I never thought about it in actual degrees. Then I thought "There's an app for that!" :idea:

I had the idea to use an inclinometer on my iPhone to measure my lean angle and see if I can't get my elbow/knee down. Here's a quick test video from my driveway. I need a new mount, so don't hate on my zip-tie mount, it was just temporary for this video. Oh yeah, you can also log the data, so you don't have to watch it to see how far down you got. It's nice and big so you can actually read it if you want to though. I thought that was kind of cool.

Here's what I read about the tires that made me think of it (the typos aren't mine):

Michelin Pilot Power

The softest rubber mix of any comparable tyre

- Phenomenal grip; quickly reaches optimum temperature
- Maximum lean angle in the dry: 50.6
- Rubber mix remains soft even at lower temperatures, providing excellent grip throughout your ride.

You don't have to be world champion to get your hands on Michelin MotoGP tyre technology. The Pilot Power uses a rubber mix that was originally developed for MotoGP racing, yielding minimal warm-up time and excellent feedback at the limit. This amazing tyre has achieved a maximum lean angle of more than 50 degrees on dry pavement and a remarkable 41.9 degrees in the wet.

Michelin Pilot Power Technical

- New rubber mix derived from MotoGP tyre development.
- This softer rubber was developed to preserve tyre performance even at advanced stages of wear.
- The rubber remains soft at lower temperatures for excellent grip throughout every stage of a ride.
- Tread grooves cover less than 12% of the tyre surface, maximizing the contact patch

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I originally thought about using iHUD, but it didn't seem as easy to read while on the bike and it doesn't log data. It does give you other useful information though... Good thing I have more than one iPhone so I can use both, or run the GPS, Police scanner, etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wow thats slick i will have to get that app for my iphone!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm buying a couple of these off of eGay... That way I can turn them depending on whether the program uses Landscape Mode or Portrait Mode. They're only $8.50 and come with a retractable cable, 12v charger, and other stuff. They're from China, but isn't everything nowadays? :dontknow:

The suction cup mount may not work worth a shit, but JB Weld works wonders. I could stick 'em to the inside of my fairing or something. Maybe drill a couple holes in something and bolt them on...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-MOUNT-HOLDE...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1240|293:1|294:50

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
yeah those look like they would work really good, but yeah i would not trust the suction cup...would not like to lose my iphone lol

But were did you get that app?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got them from the App Store... My 3G still has a month of warranty left, so I haven't unlocked or jailbroken it yet.

The one from the first post is called "TiltMeter Enhanced". I think "Advanced Inclinometer" is the same program... Same developer it appears. The calibration method on this program appears to be top notch. They're both $0.99.

The one from the second post is a glass cockpit called "iHUD", it was $5.99.

I saw one called "Vehicle Clinometer / Tilt Meter" which looks sweet, but it uses a picture of a Jeep on the guage.

·
Registered
778 Posts
got it downloaded, cant wait too try it!

·
Gen3
824 Posts
Just another reason why iPhones are so cool... I'm not complainin because my work pays for my blackberry, but if they didn't I'd have an iPhone in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i got the tiltmeter pro seems to work great!

·
Registered
778 Posts
that is sweet!!! too bad I got sprint
You can have an iphone with any network other then verizon or alltel...any GSM network, which means any phone company that uses a simchip can have the iphone

You just need to find one that is unlocked and jailbroken(which are expensive, but if you can pick a locked one up cheap let me know and i can walk a through the unlock prcess, cause its kinda a pain in the ass)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first time trying to figure out how to unlock/jailbreak them can suck, but once you see how it's done you'll be like "Why the hell are people charging so much for this?!"...

·
Registered
16 Posts
they are charging cus they can, smart if you think about it getting alot of money for somin real easy!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Actually that's my only source of income at the moment... In the process of moving right now. All of my business is from referrals though. I don't advertise because I don't have to, i'm just good at what I do. Probably because my Dad was teaching me about computers before I could fully read/write.

I work on all iPhones, but just the software end. They're too much of a PITA to take apart. There's times when i've made $200/hr for "housecalls" to some of the hotels, because of people traveling through for business and their phones bricked. Some of them stand to lose thousands each day that their phone is down.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Hey I guess I can use this thread that where some members worried about the angle sensor(TIP OVER SENSOR) on the 10rs where I reported and tested on an Analog tool that it shuts the bike off at 70deg. sorry for the semi :eek:t: because some in the past were worried about the stock device/SENSOR riding on the TRACK. :rolleyes::badteeth:

bloo

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
considering its location i wouldnt recommend that during flight haha but as a logging unit not a bad idea. id like to rig up a visor mount so that i could use it as a on board gps or whatever.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Actually is was zip-tied to the bracket in front of the tank so it stayed stationary and didn't affect the steering or anything... I just wanted it secure so I could see if it would even work, and I didn't have enough hands to tip the bike AND hold the camera otherwise. I ordered one of those mounts like the picture. Comes with all that other crap too.

Not sure exactly where i'll put it, but i'll post up pics and/or videos afterwards. Maybe get my camera mounted and do some on-board video of it in action?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Something else I just thought of:

if you place the phone on it's back while using TiltMeter, it will measure both the X and Y axis... So it can log not only your lean angle, but your wheelies and stoppies... Or it could help with getting your suspension dialed in, because you can get REAL data for squatting under acceleration and diving when braking... Not just what your butt dyno says.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've been thinking about jailbreaking my 1st gen iphone. I don't use it for much now that I have the 3G.

Either of you have any good links, or some sort of "How To"?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts