Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I am looking for information, when i purchased this bike it came with a Power commander unhooked at the battery under the seat, i have never used them before but i am curious as to how much of a change it would bring to the ride, I am impressed with the power I already have at the twist of my wrist. Suggestions ... leave well enough alone? The bike has more than enough to offer without it anyway ?

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
It's more than unhooked at the battery if the bike runs lol. The PCV bypasses 4 injector plugs and some other stuff. Idk why the previous owner would leave it in there unplugged... interesting...

A PCV won't do you any good unless you've got the right map on it or plan to have the bike dynotuned. It's not as plug and play as you think it is and can sometimes do more harm than good. You're better off getting the ECU flashed or something and parting out the PCV if you want to notice anything...

https://store.schnitzracing.com/schnitz-ecu-reflash-kawasaki-zx10-06-07/

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you have the stock exhaust just leave it as is.

For the 07 there is no point in getting a canned flash by sending the ecu away. You need a custom proper dyno (or street) tune for your bike by either a flash or mapping the PC. Both options will be fine. If you have a aftermarket exhaust you can benefit a little from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
other than the twin Akropovic exhaust, i am not sure what the filter brand is, i haven't taken the bike apart at all

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a PC3 on mine with the same exhaust and a BMC filter. There is a map out there for this exhaust and a K&N filter, which should be close. Mine runs great, but I can't say that it didn't before.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
From my personal experience, if interested in the ecu flash talk to the guy before you just send him your shit.

Before I found out about flashing our ECU's I got mine tuned via Dyno and a custom map installed on the Power Commander. Then when I found out about the ECU stuff, I sent mine off and told him I had the custom map on my Power commander already so there was no need to do anything to the fueling tables, he advanced the timing some and I believe they're able to make the secondary butterflies open a bit more sooner.

After that ecu flash I could tell a huge difference in how my bike ran. Speaking of which, I need to get my shit flashed again but I'm gonna remove the Power Commander this time and just get everything tuned via the ECU.

Edit: I also have the same exhaust too but w/ K&N filter. My was tuned when I had the Yoshimura cans though, I'm interested to see if there's any power gains with the Akrapovic's after a re-tune but I doubt it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so my understanding is that the ecu tuning/flashing can make all the changes, is that correct?
what is the financial side of this?
buy the new ecu if your in the driving season and send it away to get flashed and install it when it arrives by making the switch?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Any change you can make on a PCV you can make via flashing the ECU (and then some). Schnitz charges $70-something. I overnighted my ECU to my tuner on a Wednesday and Got it back Friday. Most places should have a 24hr or less turn around time. It sounds like you think you need to buy a new ECU too.. you just send in whatever one is on the bike right now.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I think he's just saying since it's riding season and he doesn't want any downtime on the bike that he'll buy an extra ECU to ship out and get flashed so he can continue to ride. Not a bad idea but I got sent mine off and got it back in about a week, granted the guy that flashed mine is only about 6 Hours away at most.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What you will "feel" from the flash (not including fuel tuning) is the secondaries opening sooner.
I like this myself as it livens up the bike quite a lot at PART throttle where you spend some time in the twisties. You will get more power and sooner in that region throttle % for throttle %.

But the clue here is PART throttle. From 7000RPM and ~50% throttle the secondaries are fully open with stock mapping, and they do not close again for restriction. So mapping the secondaries does zero zip nada for power after that. That means peak power and peak torque will not change. This might be worth 75 bucks, but surely not an additional ecu to send away.
Do you know if you have the secondaries still in place? Some people remove those rendering this tuning more or less useless...

Now regarding ignition tuning. Here is what Ivan`s performance got from the gen 2 back in the day. A whopping 1.8 HP and 0.8 ft-lbs. This is with the ignition module, not by flash but it really does not matter.
Ivan's Performance Products
Schnitz does not even list ignition on the list of items for the 06/07. That might be a clue.

The gen 2 is not restricted like later gens. To get more power, tuning needs to be better than what currently is the situation. You might get close to optimal with a canned map. Or you might even loose power in some regions where the correction transitions fluctuates the most. To get the most out of it and be sure you`re not wasting power and money, your bike should get on the dyno. Or logged on the road. This includes both fuel and ignition tuning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i took off the seat last night to find that what i was told was that the power commander was unhooked is not apparently hooked up and it is a Sunpie box that isn't hooked up at the battery, also there is an ignition module with the power commander, i tried to find a USB socket for any of these units but i didn't see any. (than the misquitoes came). I will upload a pic to my garage that shows what i saw. any ideas about the sunpie box ?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
so i took off the seat last night to find that what i was told was that the power commander was unhooked is not apparently hooked up and it is a Sunpie box that isn't hooked up at the battery, also there is an ignition module with the power commander, i tried to find a USB socket for any of these units but i didn't see any. (than the misquitoes came). I will upload a pic to my garage that shows what i saw. any ideas about the sunpie box ?
If the sunpie box you're talking about looks like this one then it's for led lights that the previous owner installed.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Your bike is all set to go then guy. Just make sure your bike isn't knocking (who knows what the prev owner did with with that ignition module). Brock's went as far as to stethoscope the engine for even minuscule knocking when he adjusted the ignition timing. If the bike runs though, ride it! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is the same as your pic, i was wondering what the keychain i have controlled lol, I didn't ask alot of questions when i purchased the bike, I'll take that as a command

the stearing doesn't lock hmm

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Any change you can make on a PCV you can make via flashing the ECU (and then some). Schnitz charges $70-something. I overnighted my ECU to my tuner on a Wednesday and Got it back Friday. Most places should have a 24hr or less turn around time. It sounds like you think you need to buy a new ECU too.. you just send in whatever one is on the bike right now.
What makes you think a base tune from Schnitz will be any better? You can't dial a bike in perfectly sight unseen.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What makes you think a base tune from Schnitz will be any better? You can't dial a bike in perfectly sight unseen.
Shnitz does a pretty bang-up job on the Gen5's (195 give or take a few HP with a stock filter and slip-on). It's not a base tune either. Ryan Shnitz builds the maps himself. He's collaborated with several big name tuners including Brocks & Guhl.

...I assume they'd do a good job with earlier 10R's especially ones coming from the same years Shnitz racing was at its prime competing for and/or winning AMA & NHRA titles on Buell's and Kawi's (10R's, 12R's and 14R's).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Shnitz does a pretty bang-up job on the Gen5's (195 give or take a few HP with a stock filter and slip-on). It's not a base tune either. Ryan Shnitz builds the maps himself. He's collaborated with several big name tuners including Brocks & Guhl.
So they have flash files for every single combination of mods, climate, and riding style? Sure they can make an educated guess based on the bikes they have done but it's still a guess. If you're not logging afr and comparing power with a dyno or at the very least, trap speeds than you are in fact guessing.

You must not understand what a base tune is. A tune that hasn't been dialed in to YOUR bike is a base tune. Anything mail ordered and never adjusted again is 100% a base tune.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Just to clarify, what i had to do, to get what i wanted, was to get a PCIII AND a flash. I had Cody, a member on here who is no longer around, flash my bike for a more than fair price to de-restrict the top end and slam the 2ndaries open at 5.5K rpm, couple other things but cant remember - you dont get much with a Gen2 as far as a flash goes and even less for a Gen1 i think, could be wrong. THEN, i took it up to Ryan (actually LS1 was nice enough to let me tag along with him and a couple other buddies up to Schnitz) and we all got a nice tune on a beautiful day. To see fire coming out the rear and have Ryan get done and tell me "thats a strong street bike right there" was more than enough to make my day besides pulling a dyno number about 7hp higher than i thought id make. And not to be a shill for Schnitz but damn Ryan was a super chill guy, very patient and informative and we got cool swag! Even still i thought his flash's were super basic and felt i could get more from anyone else capable of doing it for cheaper possibly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts