Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the stock toolkit can people please list the most useful tools for for respective part when working on the Gen 4.

I'm talking Hex, Allen, Socket sizes for various components and ideally in metric.

So my next post will be the fashion in which this should be done for easy look-up.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
Did I get lost in translation?
don't think so. I'm a smart-ass, so I read your response with a sarcastic tone in my head and it made me laugh. :thumbsup:

All fasteners are metric. Front caliper mount bolts are 12mm hex. bleed screws on the calipers are 10mm and the master cylinder bleed screw is 8mm. i use an open end wrench for these.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Most of the fairings bolts are either a 3mm or 4mm allen.
Most of the bolt are 8mm 10mm or 12mm hex.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other than the stock toolkit can people please list the most useful tools for for respective part when working on the Gen 4.

I'm talking Hex, Allen, Socket sizes for various components and ideally in metric.

So my next post will be the fashion in which this should be done for easy look-up.
1 mm - n/a
2 mm - n/a
3 mm - 1/8 inches
4 mm - 5/32 inches
5 mm - 3/16 inches
6 mm - 1/4 inches
7 mm - 9/32 inches
8 mm - 5/16 inches
9 mm - 11/32 inches
10 mm - 13/32 inches
11 mm - 7/16 inches
12 mm - 15/32 inches
13 mm - 1/2 inches
14 mm - 9/16 inches
15 mm - 19/32 inches
16 mm - 5/8 inches
17 mm - 21/32 (11/16) inches
18 mm - 23/32 inches
19 mm - 3/4 inches
20 mm - 25/32 inches
21 mm - 27/32 inches
22 mm - 7/8 inches
23 mm - 29/32 inches
24 mm - 15/16 inches
25 mm - 1 inches

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/ho...-wrench-set-to-imperial-units#b#ixzz34vfZlssH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Socket set including a 32mm and motion pro axle tool (http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/axle/#/motorcycle/partno/08-0397/), metric Allen keys, full set of metric wrenches and ratchet wrenches, and a set of screw drivers. I also really like the MP 1/4" t-handle(http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/tools/#/motorcycle/partno/08-0513/).

Invest some money in good tools, they'll last you a lifetime. Don't forget to look in pawn shops and at yard sales.
...last you a life time....until they get nicked and you need to start all over again like me!

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
On the road kit (this I carry in my back pack)

10mm open end / box end wrench
12mm open end / box end wrench
medium crescent wrench

folding metric allen wrench set, goes from 1mm to like 8 or 9mm

good needle nose pliers (Kline)

stubby Phillips head screw driver
stubby straight blade screw driver (doubles as a chisel or punch if need be)

small brass head hammer

your not going to do an engine rebuild along side the road in Arizona, but you would be amazed what you can fix with that kit. Hell half the time it's getting plastics off that is a PITA.

for the home kit...

bigger ball peen hammer, vice grips, 27mm and 32mm sockets normal metric socket set. Impact wrench. bench vice, bench grinder, die grinder, full set screw drivers (all lengths) Drift pin/punch set. Air compressor, stick and TIG welder, sandblast cabinet... lift table.

and if you have 9 grand lieing around... this is a must. You will wonder how you ever fixed anything around the house with out it

if you have 320 grand lying around... the shop attached to the house is really nice too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Socket extensions go a long way. Love watching people take things apart with out them letting the ratchet smack the side of the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts