Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Damn good post, rep deserved fo' sho'! but I have to spread it out. Thanks!

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas, I thought it might take a load off some of the usual questions, the elevation calculator shows a 180hp bike at sea level loses about 3 hp per every 500 ft, thought that might help some of our buds in the clouds.

·
Registered
537 Posts
good find :thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Awesome find!!!! Now I'll know what my real hp #'s are after my dyno on Saturday. I'm sittin' at 4500 ft!!!!

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome find!!!! Now I'll know what my real hp #'s are after my dyno on Saturday. I'm sittin' at 4500 ft!!!!
We trim a lot at Miller , more wing ,less fuel, slower cars , same for Mexico City , engine temps rise about 10F too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okay FAF....

I just got my bike dyno'd at Ducati Motorsports in Salt lake (4500 ft elevation)...They tell me I got 160 at the rear wheel after their custom map they put on. Are you saying that I have 187 horses at sea-level??? Is this good????

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Good find

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay FAF....

I just got my bike dyno'd at Ducati Motorsports in Salt lake (4500 ft elevation)...They tell me I got 160 at the rear wheel after their custom map they put on. Are you saying that I have 187 horses at sea-level??? Is this good????
Definately not, the 160 would be a corrected figure via the baro on the dyno.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Definately not, the 160 would be a corrected figure via the baro on the dyno.

Sorry man....my level of intellect is not the same as yours.... So you're saying that the 160 they are giving me is corrected at sea-level? So I'm in fact running 133 horses to the wheel at my current elevation? I'm not understanding this....

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would probably think you are around the 140 mark at that altitude .

We go from apprxoximately 540hp to 480 at Miller with a 3.8 litre engine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okay...So if you could explain this to me, I'd really appreciate it. Why would they tell me my bike is hitting 160 horse-power at sea level? Do they do this with all dyno's??? I thought the whole purpose of the dyno is to tell you how much power/torque you are getting at that current elevation. Again...This is all greek to me....I'm just trying to understand.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It depends on what you are looking for, dynamometers will adjust for ambient temps, barometric pressure etc SAE correction and whole lot more to give you a number .

For example, we put one of our Koni Challenge cars on an Eddy current dyno in Phoenix, from the factory they come at 282hp, after the software had calculated all the ambient figures it gave us a reading of 322 HP , thats 40 hp extra displayed , it is totally meaningless, apart from the Lambda readings which were in the 0.88 to 0.9 area.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you speaking English?!?!:lol:

Holy crap!!! I guess I'll just take your word for it. This is soooo beyond me. I need to have someone less brilliant explain it to me. Either that, or when I get my dyno sheets, I'll post them and you can tell me what it all means....Thanks!

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I am trying to say is, dyno sheets are only good for giving you an indication of how well your bike is tuned , if you went in with 150hp and came out with 160 without modifying the dyno software then you have made an improvement.

Realistically a stock bike is probably making 150hp at the wheels and maybe 135-140 at almost a mile altitude , with a head gasket and a cam and full system you probably gain 10 or 12 hp , the differences between 100 stock bikes would only be 1 or 2 HP and if people are getting a larger variance than that on a dyno , then the calculations are wrong for those days.By adding exhaust systems and camshafts and increasing compression there are a few variables, but an optimum setup would maybe stretch the output to an extra 10hp.
What I am trying to say is that 160hp for that altitude without motor work is nearly impossible in the real world, but for a dyno to show that result is very easy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts