Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting a steering damper on my '05. I have found a lot of used dampers out there and was just wondering if it is a good idea to put a used one on my bike? Is there anything that I should be worried about if I do put one on?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
As long as it goes thru the full "stoke" or movement without binding or skipping which indicates bubbles, or it's not leaking then i'd say go used and save a few bucks, i bought my scotts used and have had several others over the last few years and only 1 i bought new which was a hyper pro i got online.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Plus if you know what you are doing you can refill and bleed them yourself to make it like new again. Or if that makes you nervous depending on what you buy, you can sometimes get it sent it and rebuilt by the company.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how would I go about refurbishing a damper? Can I get a damper from anywhere and buy the mount separate? If so where would be a good place to find just a mount for my specific bike?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I would suggest staying away from gpr.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I would suggest staying away from gpr.
?? I always heard good things about their V4 damper. What's their issues? I was thinking of dumping the weak stock Ohlins in favor of a GPR v4 but if their are known problems, I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
They tend to have a higher rate of problems with seals than the rest of the brands out there. Just my suggestion...

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm looking at putting a steering damper on my '05. I have found a lot of used dampers out there and was just wondering if it is a good idea to put a used one on my bike? Is there anything that I should be worried about if I do put one on?
Can you let me in on the secret to finding "a lot" of used dampers? I also have an '05 and have been searching for about a month now with no luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you let me in on the secret to finding "a lot" of used dampers? I also have an '05 and have been searching for about a month now with no luck.
Just search ebay, amazon, forums for dampers. It's my understanding that regardless of the application the dampers are the same, but the mounts are just different. So if you can find a good used Scotts at $200 for example the Scotts mount for the '05 is $130. $330 total for the whole, and over $100 dollars in savings. It's not super cheap but a penny saved is a penny earned. There are a lot of deals out there to be had, you just have to search and be patient.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
how would I go about refurbishing a damper? Can I get a damper from anywhere and buy the mount separate? If so where would be a good place to find just a mount for my specific bike?

Well Scotts sells mounts separately. And...I wouldn't have anything but a Scotts...
(so can't say what others do).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts