Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a used TTX KA788 for the 10. It has a 100nmm spring on it and has about 9 track days of use.

I emailed Dan Kyle and he suggest I go with a .95nmm spring and get it serviced/freshened up.

Just wondering what everyone else opinions are? Do I really need to get a softer spring? Im fairly sure im going to get it serviced just because of the amount of use on it but am wondering if i could wait to get the spring changed until some time later (possibly winter here in MI).

Needed info:
Weight: 170 nekkid
Height: 6'
Gear: Full regalia on dedicated "ride days". Jacket, helmet, boots, gloves, jeans on commutes.
Riding: 2-3 track days a year. Maybe 100 miles of commuting a week. About 300 miles of "hard" back country riding a week.

Current suspension is stock with factory settings. Front is uber stiff but will not be changing that out until winter (Racetech springs).

Cheers and thanks Gurus!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a 105nm on my track bike and love it

weight 165. I do prefer stiffer springs with less compression damping.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I run the 90n/mm on my gen3. This was recommended by Ohlins for street, said for me go to 95n/mm for track. Im 175 with gear.

I run racetech .95kg/mm springs on the front.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The .95 spring is my favorite and I am same size as you. It depends on if you really want to spend the money for service and spring. 9 track days is not a ton of time on a rear shock if that is all that it has really been ridden. I would say ride it first and see how it feels to you. And with that said that shock works good with the stock front end but if you want to upgrade the front go with the Ohlins 25mm cartridge kit not the 30 and spare yourself of the racetech. Just my opinion. What year 10 are you on?

·
Registered
581 Posts
You want to get the shock freshened about once/year if you are tracking the bike. Wait until then and put some laps on the bike. If you feel that it's riding too hard/high, then when you send the shock in to get refreshed, get the softer spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The .95 spring is my favorite and I am same size as you. It depends on if you really want to spend the money for service and spring. 9 track days is not a ton of time on a rear shock if that is all that it has really been ridden. I would say ride it first and see how it feels to you. And with that said that shock works good with the stock front end but if you want to upgrade the front go with the Ohlins 25mm cartridge kit not the 30 and spare yourself of the racetech. Just my opinion. What year 10 are you on?
Thanks for the reply. I think I might throw it in as is and look at getting it serviced/changed in the winter. I have a trackday at Gingerman on August 4th so want it to be on there by then.

From what i have read the servicing is for optimum performance and I dont think I will notice a huge difference with my current skill level from the shock having some track days on it.

As long as it will perform better then the stock shock "out of the box" so to speak thats what im looking for.

I'm not opposed to getting it serviced and/or resprung but ive dropped a lot of coin over the past month on the bike...tires, track time, the shock itself, exhaust etc.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts