Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A word to the wise if you decide to change positions on the Satos; use locktight.

I went for a ride this morning and while shifting it felt like the shifting linkage was loose. Everytime I shifted it felt like the lever was moving down. "No big deal I'll fix it when I get home", I thought. As I pulled off the freeway I started downshifting and it gave way, no ability to shift whatsoever. I pulled into a driveway and saw that one of two bolts used to adjust the foot settings was gone so it was just spinning on the one bolt.
I was able to finally manhandle it into first and then drive home. I was only a half mile from my house, which is a good thing since I couldn't shift out of first gear.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Andy said:
A word to the wise if you decide to change positions on the Satos; use locktight.

I went for a ride this morning and while shifting it felt like the shifting linkage was loose. Everytime I shifted it felt like the lever was moving down. "No big deal I'll fix it when I get home", I thought. As I pulled off the freeway I started downshifting and it gave way, no ability to shift whatsoever. I pulled into a driveway and saw that one of two bolts used to adjust the foot settings was gone so it was just spinning on the one bolt.
I was able to finally manhandle it into first and then drive home. I was only a half mile from my house, which is a good thing since I couldn't shift out of first gear.

Even if you don't change the position of the pegs, I would still back the bolts out, lock-tite (blue) them and put them back in. better safe than sorry. (knock on wood) I haven't had anything work lose, shift linkages or foot pegs since I've installed them.

Good point Andy !!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
jeech said:
Even if you don't change the position of the pegs, I would still back the bolts out, lock-tite (blue) them and put them back in. better safe than sorry. (knock on wood) I haven't had anything work lose, shift linkages or foot pegs since I've installed them.

Good point Andy !!
Excellent advice jeech. If I had another set to install I'd fully disassemble everything and blue loctite it all. I've since done that on mine, but I should have done it to begin with.

Andy, I feel your pain on havin' to limp home. Had to do that on my first ride on the Sato rsets. The bolt that holds the tie rod heim to the shift pedal came out and left the shift pedal swingin' in the breeze on those super smooth bearings the Sato's have. :headshake

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Damn that rod has come loose on me too.

BTW I didn't steal your title from you (in case you're wondering). I posted this on your thread then decided to split it and I forgot to re-title it. I was more concerned with not erasing all your hard work. :pale:

edit: I figured out how to change the title.:idea:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Andy said:
Damn that rod has come loose on me too.

BTW I didn't steal your title from you (in case you're wondering). I posted this on your thread then decided to split it and I forgot to re-title it. I was more concerned with not erasing all your hard work. :pale:

edit: I figured out how to change the title.:idea:

Yeah I saw it in my thread, got a PM before I could reply, then went back to reply and it was gone. Then I saw this thread with my title and thought, whoa! What happened? Then I remember you were a mod, and rode a blue bike... so I figured there was no sense in tryin' to make heads or tails of it. :thumbsup:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Im just glad everything turned out okay for ya'll.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
BTW, the rod came loose on me for two reasons. One is because I must not have loctited it. It was also due to the bolt head issue that Sato denied having. I couldn't tighten the thing much at all without it starting to round out... They pretty much said that their stuff is the best available and that they recommend professional installation of their products. I've been using allen wrenches and bolts for about 20 years now so I fail to see how letting a "professional" do it would have changed the bolts. I understand that there are a LOT of jacklegs out there that could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer and have no business around tools. It's just that I've NEVER had a problem like this except with cheap bolts. Do professionals somehow outsmart the soft metal or what? Ummmmm, yeah...

Oh well, they're supposed to be sending replacements. We'll see how they are. :thumbsup:

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
El Diablo said:
Yeah I saw it in my thread, got a PM before I could reply, then went back to reply and it was gone. Then I saw this thread with my title and thought, whoa! What happened? Then I remember you were a mod, and rode a blue bike... so I figured there was no sense in tryin' to make heads or tails of it. :thumbsup:
You mean you remembered I ride a blue bike and gave up all hope of catching up with me? :heyyou:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Andy said:
You mean you remembered I ride a blue bike and gave up all hope of catching up with me? :heyyou:

I guess who ends up passin' who would depend on whose Sato's fell apart first! :crackup:

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer? That sounds like a Texan saying. :crackup:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Andy said:
Tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer? That sounds like a Texan saying. :crackup:
Thats definately me....

Drop a bike trying to put on rim stripes....Im retarted...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Not sure bout all this loose nuts here and loctite there but ain't nun dat with my stuff ova yonder wit "Attack" :wink: :eek:wned:

BD

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Be sure to apply *fresh* blue loctite to the threads anytime you move anything on the Satos. The existing loctite is weakened when you remove bolts to make adjustments.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Not sure bout all this loose nuts here and loctite there but ain't nun dat with my stuff ova yonder wit "Attack"

BD
I don't have any problems with my rearsets... they work great, shift fine, and don't fall apart... and I have a brake light switch. They're Kawasaki brand:thefinger

1 - 20 of 58 Posts