Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through the posts one thing seems to be miscommunicated more than most . Whether or not people can use the Horsepower they have in the ZX10 or any of the new liter bikes for that matter . On one side is the guys out raising hell with his buddies on the backroads and highways who says they use every ounce of HP . Always looking for more and there is never enough . Added horepower can always be used . The other side of the coin is the trackday rider and/or racer. Who says that you can only use as much as your talent , chassis and tires will allow you to use . The rest is a waste .
Both are correct in a way . The guy with his buddies raising hell can twist the throttle out on a long deserted highway . He is just going strait so as long as the tires hold up and he doest hit a pothole animal or grandpa out for a sunday drive he should be able to run WFO hitting the rev limiter at will. the guy taking the bike to the track , he has a whole new set of variables . And to use the HP of a literbike with thes obsticals takes an ENORMUS amount of talent . He has to get as much speed into the corne as possible hold that speed without loosing traction only to have to get on the power as quickly and as much as possible all at the correct angles . This is to get maximum drive off the corner to attain the highest top speed due to limited strait away lenth . New literbikes go around 180mph . To get the top speed with a 1/4 strait you have to be going about 80mph . Thats the section of the track that is a piece of cake lol. it only gets alot harder from there. Theguy that hits his rev limiter on the staits is gifted indeed . For those of you that are lucky enough to have wide open spaces to open the bike up your a lucky soul.Even the fastest guys at track days cant use all the power of a literbike in most cases . So The track guys arnt putting you down . I know in my BEST day I couldnt use all the power of a stock ZX10 and god knows I tried . Being 6-4 230 even in phenominal shape didnt help . But even if I where smaller It woulnt be a guarantee by any means. Its probibly 1 in 5000?10000 that actually can use all the power of a liter bike .
I used to go hell bent through the streets . But after my first trip to the track . There was no comparison . No cops , gravel oil Or CARS .
how many of you guys tearing up the streets are planning to try a track day ? its definaly worth it .

·
Registered
332 Posts
Reading through the posts one thing seems to be miscommunicated more than most . Whether or not people can use the Horsepower they have in the ZX10 or any of the new liter bikes for that matter . On one side is the guys out raising hell with his buddies on the backroads and highways who says they use every ounce of HP . Always looking for more and there is never enough . Added horepower can always be used . The other side of the coin is the trackday rider and/or racer. Who says that you can only use as much as your talent , chassis and tires will allow you to use . The rest is a waste .
Both are correct in a way . The guy with his buddies raising hell can twist the throttle out on a long deserted highway . He is just going strait so as long as the tires hold up and he doest hit a pothole animal or grandpa out for a sunday drive he should be able to run WFO hitting the rev limiter at will. the guy taking the bike to the track , he has a whole new set of variables . And to use the HP of a literbike with thes obsticals takes an ENORMUS amount of talent . He has to get as much speed into the corne as possible hold that speed without loosing traction only to have to get on the power as quickly and as much as possible all at the correct angles . This is to get maximum drive off the corner to attain the highest top speed due to limited strait away lenth . New literbikes go around 180mph . To get the top speed with a 1/4 strait you have to be going about 80mph . Thats the section of the track that is a piece of cake lol. it only gets alot harder from there. Theguy that hits his rev limiter on the staits is gifted indeed . For those of you that are lucky enough to have wide open spaces to open the bike up your a lucky soul.Even the fastest guys at track days cant use all the power of a literbike in most cases . So The track guys arnt putting you down . I know in my BEST day I couldnt use all the power of a stock ZX10 and god knows I tried . Being 6-4 230 even in phenominal shape didnt help . But even if I where smaller It woulnt be a guarantee by any means. Its probibly 1 in 5000?10000 that actually can use all the power of a liter bike .
I used to go hell bent through the streets . But after my first trip to the track . There was no comparison . No cops , gravel oil Or CARS .
how many of you guys tearing up the streets are planning to try a track day ? its definaly worth it .
:+2: well said & done lad........:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
685 Posts
Did two track days last year and got hooked. Buying a trailer and dedicating at least one weekend a month to the safer, more challenging form of riding. Street riding will always have its place in my heart but you just can't do on the street (in my area) what you can do on the track.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazi .. when you where tearing up the streets didnt you think you where taking it to the limit .. Only to ride the track and find out your old ...limits... where just the tip of the iceberg.lol I know it was for me even at pocano . In pa even the race tracks have cracks and potholes lol

·
Registered
763 Posts
Good write up Jake, i definately agree. Its all about your personal riding style, and where you do your riding that determine how much of the hp you can use. More HP on the ten probably wont make you faster in the twisties, but thats not sayin its wont be fun on the straights when you open her up.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Good write up Jake, i definately agree. Its all about your personal riding style, and where you do your riding that determine how much of the hp you can use. More HP on the ten probably wont make you faster in the twisties, but thats not sayin its wont be fun on the straights when you open her up.
That's the beauty of the twisties. Variety, from tight switchbacks to just turns to Sweepers to some straights. That's the beauty of the 10, the wide range that gets called on, and delivers just what is asked of it.

Does Montana still have their No Speed limit by a number, just drive safe law, or has that changed?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I knew about Montana but isnt there a few areas in the midwesten desert states that have no speed limits ? i know there used to be but are unfamiliar with new laws if any . Buddies my son and I are tinking of doing a run to the grand canyon this summer One buddy is using the Harley Road King with the 2200cc worked motr with 140hp and baker 6 speed , the second buddy is using a Yamaha Star 650 classic, My son is using the ZX14 and Im using the KTM 990 Adventure . Last year i did a run to South carolina on a Suzuki 650 Savage(it has only 1 cylinder) 600 miles 80MPH . Riding buddies kept waiting for it to blow up , but it kept right on screaming along lol.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Crazi .. when you where tearing up the streets didnt you think you where taking it to the limit .. Only to ride the track and find out your old ...limits... where just the tip of the iceberg.lol I know it was for me even at pocano . In pa even the race tracks have cracks and potholes lol
LOL my sentiments exactly! I thought I was at the limits as I was keeping up with guys that had done track days. I always had a reservation about going to the track because I thought I wasn't good enough.

Then I went and found out that while it was the tip of the iceberg, there were also other "green" guys and gals there just like me. :cool:

I used to hear some of the track guys say they were riding at 60% and I would have bet money at the time that they were lying!! I would have lost...:badteeth::spit:

I think the thrill of the street though is that you can jump on your bike, go find a good road, and actually end up somewhere.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im my area its gotten to the point where you have to drive 10-15 miles to get out of major traffic. The infamous...I better make the corner because if i dont the car in the other lane will run over me when I go down . I might be only to do 3-4 laps before the pain sidelines me . But its more relaxing on the track then on the street . Ive heard that from alot of people though

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I love the canyons, and i think when i started doing trackdays i was more prepared because of that riding on the street. I would say i use way more of my motor on the track (not nearly to the potential of the bike), but i use a lot of everything else on the street as well. sometimes its just nice to rip up a road close by and then grab some lunch or whatever. It is funny for me to hear people say they use 100% of the bike and need more HP, any ass hole can pin it to win it in a straight line.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
good post. i agree, you can never ride at 100% on the street. it is fun to jump on your bike with a few buddies and go out and relieve some stress, grab a bite to eat and go back to the house and call it a day. i miss track time and tried to go this year, but did no tmake it. oh well, 2010 right around the corner. i have not made my new years resolution quite yet, will def be on the list.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Ya I hate when people say your never gonna use hp to it's limit. There's only 3 limits; the enviroment, your skill and your balls. You are not going to tell me that a f1 car goes flat out through every fucking corner. Most people use hp pretty close to it's limit. Brakes on the other hand is a totally different story. I'm sick of people saying that liter bikes are to powerful and they'll get you into trouble. It's speed that gets people into trouble and not being able to brake. I mean personally I'm a 100x better of a car driver than a bike rider and the major reason is I understand car physics and grip far better. I guess I should really say people don't understand grip/traction because everything is a function of it. 600 are easier to ride simply because traction is more forgiving and managable because there is less to balance with. I'm going to stop now because I have no idea if this makes sense. I need a day off.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
[It is funny for me to hear people say they use 100% of the bike and need more HP, any ass hole can pin it to win it in a straight line.]

these are tyical comments made by the squidiot that has a new 600 for a month then says they need a liter bike, cuz the 600 is not fast enough. its hard to get the full effect cruising the strip from gas station to gas station. also helps with the cool burnouts they do in the parking lot!

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Good post :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks ZX10 racer . insomnia and back pain have improved my writing skills . but not my typing lol.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wonderful write-up Jake!
I see all too often, the people that go out and buy a litre bike, Busa, or a ZX14 for their first bike. Then.... they immediately want to mod the bike as much as they can afford in order to "GET MORE POWER". In my opinion, these types are just as Darwin described. They can't even handle the power of a Ninja 650, but they have to have the baddest bikes around, so they can sit in the parking lot with their little leather vest (logo on back included) and say, "LOOK AT ME! I SAW THIS BIKE IN A MUSIC VIDEO, SO I'M COOL NOW!"
The thing that makes me sick is these idiots have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

·
Registered
540 Posts
oooooooh the old street vs track argument. lol...

Riding in straight lines on the street and freeway do not compare to the track. I agree 100%. Riding in canyons is a different story. I've said it before and I'll say it again- If two people call me up in the morning and one says lets go to the track and the other says lets go carve the canyons, I pick the canyon.

On my last debate on this issue it was pretty much determined that the main difference between the track and canyon is the safety issue. Because of the unknown factor in the canyon, people are in defense mode and therefore not able to fully let loose like they would on the track. However if you can mentally prepare yourself for the canyon I think you can do the same as you can on the track. What holds you back is yourself and an expensive ass ticket if you get caught! lol.

The track has really grown on me the last few months. I look at it as a place where I can fine tune my skills with mistakes usually resulting in just lowsiding off the track. I look at the canyon as the real world scenario where I can apply those skills I've acquired on the track. The canyon leaves very little room for mistakes.

As far as the whole usable HP, its not always about hitting the rev limiter. Just because you may not use all the top end power of a liter bike doesnt mean you dont use the extra power. Try racing a 600 side by side. Because you have more power, you accelerate A LOT faster. When coming out of that turn, having that extra power to accelerate faster makes a world of difference. I didnt buy my 10 for the fact that it can do 189mph, I rarely break 150mph. I bought it because it can get me to that 150mph faster than any other bike.

Just my opinion on this (canyon thing)... not looking at starting another debate. HAPPY NEW YEARS!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I agree

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Being from Pennsylvania im biased about riding fast on the Steets. Pa has DOUBLE the roads per square mile than any other state in the US . A Govenor in pa at the turn of the century (1900) had a scandal going on an was worried about re election . So he made a HUGE promise to the farmers staeting that there will be a paved road for every farmer in the state no matter where they live . He came through on his promise and got reelected . It almost bankrupt the state of PA . The upkeep is almost impossable in cost and effort being the soil is clay in a temporate Zone . Which rotates wet , freeze, thaw, wet, freeze ,thaw and the clay doesnt let the water pass through freely . That Is why pa has been rated the worst roads in the counrty by far every year for as long as I can remember . To go to NJ, Del or Maryland is a treat road wise .

Hitiing bumps midcorner is the norm. Ohlins work best in those conditions .
Going on a racetrack smoothly through a turn is like a dream come true. You can go so much faster than street riding .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts