Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
prolly the same reason why kawi has been retarding the 600, and now the 10 up top. EPA/DOT whoever's noise regs. I'm told there was a "Gentlemen's" agreement on this a few years ago, but up 'til now Kawi has been the only one to do it. Starting next year, I hear they'll all be doing it. FWIW, if the Honda is anything like the Kawi, it'll be pretty simple to "fix"

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
prolly the same reason why kawi has been retarding the 600, and now the 10 up top. EPA/DOT whoever's noise regs. I'm told there was a "Gentlemen's" agreement on this a few years ago, but up 'til now Kawi has been the only one to do it. Starting next year, I hear they'll all be doing it. FWIW, if the Honda is anything like the Kawi, it'll be pretty simple to "fix"
There is no noise testing above 6000 RPM's so why would they do that? I did some research on DOT noise testing and that makes no sense to silence her at an RPM that is not tested.

I don't know the answer, Im just saying why nueter a bike at 10,000 RPMs and suggest it is because of noise regs?

The last I heard about the 08 Honda it was because they were cracking cranks, but thats just internet rumor.

The 08 US spec Hondas definitely gets nuetered at 10,200 RPM's and US owners are not to happy about it.

I might add that full systems dont fix it, so its not the exhaust valve(s) so it must be the ECU pulling timing.

JJ

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
As I wrote, it was a "Gentlemen's" agreement, so to me that means they were/are policing themselves before the EPA/DOT/whoever does it for them.
Can you be more specific Kevin?

The only gentlemans agreement I have heard of from a few years back was the limit on top speed of 186 MPH. I don't see how that would apply to what was being done to the ZX6's that people were undoing with the so called "jumper mod". That bike wouldn't run that speed. They don't test for noise past 6 grand.

I can't understand why they would limit a ZX6 past 10 grand for noise. In fact, why did they do this to the ZX6 at all? Has there ever been anything stated officially?

Why the ZX6 and not the 10 or 14?

I have looked at numerous dyno runs on US spec 08 CBR1000RR's. You can see it on 2 Bros site, AREA P's site and many others. They all peter out at 10,2000 RPM's and it appears the ECU is pulling timing.

Looks like they will have to buy both a Power Commander and ignition module to fix it, according to Dynojet. No one has proven this yet as the parts arent available yet.

It has been a interesting story to follow on 1000RR.net though.

So why was the ZX 6 nuetered? I know I asked a lot of questions but would like to know.

Im gald the 08 10R don't have this problem. There is no place to put both a PC and a Ignition module.

Maybe this gentlemans agreement is to limit HP on liter bikes? Is that possible? That I could beleive, but still wouldnt apply to the ZX6. I can see a HP limit coming though.

Way back in 1988 I bought a new then ZX-10. Motocyclist ran a story on it about Terry Vance buying one with plans to keep it in the crate because he was sure the Guvment would never allow them to keep building them "with this much steam". I remember the exact qoute from the Magazine article.

JJ

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
as I owned a 07 zx6r after the major redesign, I can confirm that the revs infact did die down after 14k, HOWEVEr with a simple metal clip (ie. jumper mod) it fixed the problem and the bike pulled clean to 16.5!

Thats one of the things i love about Kawi; they restrict the bikes stock but allow the owner to derestrict as they see fit. Wheras, the Honda is just dying at a certain RPM with no foreseeable fix.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
as I owned a 07 zx6r after the major redesign, I can confirm that the revs infact did die down after 14k, HOWEVEr with a simple metal clip (ie. jumper mod) it fixed the problem and the bike pulled clean to 16.5!

Thats one of the things i love about Kawi; they restrict the bikes stock but allow the owner to derestrict as they see fit. Wheras, the Honda is just dying at a certain RPM with no foreseeable fix.
I still want to know WHY Kawi did this on the US Spec ZX6. Does anyone know that?

JJ

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Well 16,500rpm is kinda stretching it more like 15,2K real RPM, you are correct that the bikes from kawi on the zx6r series would just drop off @13K.
The jumper allows the bike to run euro specs and pull till true redline on the 05/06 bikes at 14,7K and the 07/08 bikes at 15,2K.

But Honda has done this before with the RC51 with it having a 2 step limiter, one coming in at 9,200rpm and the power just dips off.
where the hard limiter comes in at 10,200rpm. not a hard fix but like the kawi it had this back in 2000.
had to do with the fact if you bounce an RC51 off the rev limiter you can break camshafts as my buddy found out on a trackday.

So maybe honda is worried about longevity of the motor?:heyyou:

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Jimmy, i strongly believe it was because of noise emissions requirements; the 6r is a screamer lol
I have done research on US Spec EPA noise tests for motorcycles. They do NOT test above 6000 RPM's for anything, so I find that hard to beleive. I just don't think thats it.

JJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts