Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe harlequin was specific- would have decayed beyond use in a bomb.
Could still be used to make a diryt bomb but maybe not strong enough to begin a nuclear reaction in a bomb??

·
Registered
956 Posts
Perhaps we (USA) should pull all of our troops back inside our own borders, Stop giving the BILLIONS on dollars to the rest of the world, kick out the U.N. and send a nice letter to every leader of every nation on the planet that excluding US territories the rest of the world is theirs, however if you come barking up our tree you will regret it tremendously.
Id help the british, the aussies, japan, and the others who have stood by us and who are truly our friends but the rest of them, Hey your on your own. :fu2:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Gunner said:
Yea I recently cjecked into going up to Canada to get in on that Oil Boom they have. I have several friends from there and they helped me check into that.................The outcome is....................FUCK OFF American!!!!!!!!!! They will let you come and spend all that American money you want BUT you aint aBOUT to coll here home... Only America is expected to have open bordors to the ewhole damn world even the ones trying to kill us are welcome. It's a fucking disgrace how Americans are treated by Canada or any other part of the world for that matter.

Sorry dude but this is just wrong. If you want to emmigrate here there is a process to go through just like a Canadian would do to work in the USA. I really don't think there are too many illegal immigrant Canadians living and working in the US. I don't believe animosity toward Americans is rampant here. All the people I know don't have any problems with our southern neighbours. We exchange military personnel all the time, good group of people and very similar in values, job satisfaction etc. You are a hypocrite if you critisize illegal immigrants and think you can just show up in another country to work without going through the accepted, legal process. That should and must be respected within all borders. I just had to take a stand, I know your case is anecdotal and I've seen these internet rumors/opinions etc etc sway popular belief. Take-care

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Speaking of the media, for those of you that watch CNN and FOX News and think that the US is "running" things in Iraq... GUESS AGAIN!!! This is not to put ya'll on blast, but if you've never actually been here in the military or as a civilian working in Iraq, then you have very little idea what's going on. But that's a different post... check your local listings. As for Harlequin's excellent post, don't know if it's all true, but it sure sound good. Alot of what's going on the world today can be linked to the US being the "policeman of the world" But when you do that, you're bound to piss people off. Hence, that's why everybody hates Americans. Regardless of what country you goto... sure, they'll take your money but they can't stand the ground you walk on. I would definately love to see America take care of it's OWN home before it tries to police the rest of the world. Just my thoughts... Can't wait to see the replies on this one.

·
Currently Clueless
1,516 Posts
40thStreetBlack said:
Speaking of the media, for those of you that watch CNN and FOX News and think that the US is "running" things in Iraq... GUESS AGAIN!!! This is not to put ya'll on blast, but if you've never actually been here in the military or as a civilian working in Iraq, then you have very little idea what's going on. But that's a different post... check your local listings. As for Harlequin's excellent post, don't know if it's all true, but it sure sound good. Alot of what's going on the world today can be linked to the US being the "policeman of the world" But when you do that, you're bound to piss people off. Hence, that's why everybody hates Americans. Regardless of what country you goto... sure, they'll take your money but they can't stand the ground you walk on. I would definately love to see America take care of it's OWN home before it tries to police the rest of the world. Just my thoughts... Can't wait to see the replies on this one.
:+1:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
40thStreetBlack said:
Funny how we are often EXPECTED to be the world police, even when it is an actual UN force, we get blamed because the bomb says made in U.S.A.
One of the few things carrying that label anymore.

Sometimes you hear other leaders refer to our President as, "the leader of the free world"- usually when referring to something they think that we should "fix."
No good deed goes unpunished.

And by the way, as for requirements to enter a country, all a cuban has to do is step foot on U.S. soil, without assistance and they are in.
Wet foot dry foot.
Then we try to be nice and bend the rules so Ellian can have Thanksgiving here and you saw how that turned out.

They make it like Janet Reno was evil on that one. B.S. They had guns because of threats made. Jack off had the kid in the closet for dramatic media coverage and to gain sympathy.

Kind of like getting their brothers to the rescue plane shot down, or keeping the Coast Guard busy making sure that their protest flotillas don't start a war.

Wet foot dry foot also has the refs fighting our Coast Guard off so they can try to reach the beach.

The rest of the Country is catching on as the Mexican border problem ruins their lifestyles.

Imagine someone looking at you incredulously and saying, "I can't believe that you live in Miami and don't speak Spanish." /in my country.

It's happened many times in the international group of people I used to hang out with regularly. Always a cuban that would say it. Not Latins- cuban (exiles) with U.S. citizenship. Hell some were born here but are cuban if you ask them.

We are a salad bowl now and white shame just keeps letting it happen.

Days after 9/11 a girl in a class I was taking proudly stated that she was a U.S. Citizen but not an American.:eyecrazy:
Why citizen then? Because it makes school cheaper (among other benefits.)

And if we do send troops out, outfit them well and let them do their damn job without bullshit restrictions like in Vietnam.
There were Iraqi exiles here begging us to go in and saying we'd be appreciated, not just the prez saying that then.

And if you are gonna pretend to have weapons, we may just have to call you on it too see the cards.

There could still be shit hidden in the sand box that we'd never find.
No matter how unlikely- there could be. Not too hard to do when you are willing to kill anyone who helped hide it- read DICTATOR.

Remember, people voted Hitler to office before he tightened the rains.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Firstly sorry another long ramble.

I think the US is in a majorly difficult position. As it stands at the moment they are the sole military superpower left. This leaves them with the choice of try and do everything or try and do nothing...

The US has in the past closed its border and or stopped being involved in world politics. Unfortunately for the states they are just to big and too much of a silent threat for those that consider them a potential enemy to leave them alone. Last time the US refused to get involved in world politics you ended up with the Pearl Harbour attacks. Japan wanted to expand but couldn't allow the US to maintain such a huge military pressence in the Pacific and just hope that the US wouldn't get involved. In the end it blew up in their faces of course but you can see the logic.

This hasn't been forgotten by the US govt so they are working on putting out the smaller fires as they break out rather than falling into a world war type conflict. Unfortunately it looks like some of their firefighting has caused other bigger fires to break out.

Should they have done things differently? Definately there are things that the US has done which has agrivated the situation massively. However knowing that they should have done things differently is all with perfect 20/20 hindsight. It is the first time the US has really been involved in a long running guerilla campaign where you can't tell who the enemy really is (in vietnam at least you could say you were fighting the commies). Now all you can do is say they are terrorists but you cant tell who a terrorist is until they shoot at you.

So you take the social, ethnic, and religeous demographic that produces the most terrorists. IE middle eastern, islamics. But not all (and not even a significant %) are actually terrorists but it makes it much easier to call them terrorists as it gives you a clear and defined target that is easier to sell to your citizens and your allies. This however alienates all the people in that demographic who aren't terrorists and are in the best position to prevent and police them. Its a horrible catch 22.

On the point of being expected to be the world police to a certain degree this is a direct result of WW2. Prior to ww2 it was the british empire that was the major superpower. The states were still small in comparison. The british had a much larger military force. However the US was a little bit of a sleeping bear as it had a large and growing population and a well established industrial base. ww2 saw the british empire annialated. England no longer had the resources or the will power to maintain its empire. Because the US wasn't devistated by WW2 (in comparison to Europe) it was in the perfect position to step into the superpower vacuum. THrow in a threatening USSR and it became necessary for the west to have the US as a force.

Over time with the USSR being the bad guys and the US being the good guys it was ineviateble that the US would be looked at as the soldier stopping the commies wiping us all out. When the USSR collapsed the old enemy was gone. Now we no longer needed a soldier to protect us. But the history and sentiment was still there. SO it became a logical step for the US to become world policeman and protect western interests no matter what the threat.

Its worth noting that in some regions other forces are stepping into the role of regional policeman. If you take the Asia pacific region Australia is basically taking on a smaller but similar role to the US. They currently have forces in atleast 6 pacific nations in peace keeping roles. They recently went in to the solomons to restore peace there after a breakdown in that country and have had clashes with Indonesia over east timor. They are facing similar resentment problems from some of the countries in this region particularly the Solomons and Indonesia. But is has been necessary for them to get involved for the overall stability of the region.

·
Registered
595 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
I'm no expert but I believe harlequin was specific- would have decayed beyond use in a bomb.
Could still be used to make a diryt bomb but maybe not strong enough to begin a nuclear reaction in a bomb??
My point was that it will take a long time for that to happen, We will probably no longer exist as a species before this happens.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Larry Grogan said:
My point was that it will take a long time for that to happen, We will probably no longer exist as a species before this happens.
gotta love it- can we start stuffing yucca yet?

Little off topic but- The news here showed the guard at the gate of our nuke pwr plant with an AR-15 that CLEARLY had no clip in it.

Oh yeah- homeland security in action, could they have come up with a more Orwellian name?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Larry Grogan said:
Half life of uranium in its normal pureform is very different to the degradation rate of enriched uranium (the rate at which enriched uranium returns to normal uranium rather than the rate at which it will transform into a different element). Without going to check I think you need approx 35% of your uranium core enriched to 235 in order for a fission detonation to occur. At these levels of concentration the radiation emmitted by the enriched uranium is seveal orders of magnitude above that of normal base uranium and the degredation rate of the uranium is exponentially higher due to those radiation levels.

Edit: Pure base uranium prior to enrichment contains less than 1% 235...

It is estimated that a US fusion warhead needs to be replaced every 15 years in order for it to have above 90% chance of detonation. After 15 years the level of enriched uranium has fallen too low. A fission device, while simpler, are more tempremental to enrichment levels and are believed to have a storage life of not much more than 6 years. That is one of the reasons why the US have replaced all their arsenal with fusion bombs even though a small yeild nuclear device would be very usefull (imagine a fission device on a cruise missle that would only flatten a block rather than a city.... very usefull). Fission devices are just too unstable. This is also the reason for the alliance between the US and the UK to build an interchangable warhead that can be put on both US ICBMs and the UKs trident missle systems.

The enriched uranium that was given to Iran will now be down closer to 10-12% enrichment. THat is about the level you need for power plants but absolute miles away from what you need for a fission detonation.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Harlequin said:
Half life of uranium in its normal pureform is very different to the degradation rate of enriched uranium (the rate at which enriched uranium returns to normal uranium rather than the rate at which it will transform into a different element). Without going to check I think you need approx 35% of your uranium core enriched to 235 in order for a fission detonation to occur. .

Obviously Harlequin is not a product of our US public school system... :lol:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Harlequin said:
Firstly sorry another long ramble.

I think the US is in a majorly difficult position. As it stands at the moment they are the sole military superpower left. This leaves them with the choice of try and do everything or try and do nothing...

The US has in the past closed its border and or stopped being involved in world politics. Unfortunately for the states they are just to big and too much of a silent threat for those that consider them a potential enemy to leave them alone. Last time the US refused to get involved in world politics you ended up with the Pearl Harbour attacks. Japan wanted to expand but couldn't allow the US to maintain such a huge military pressence in the Pacific and just hope that the US wouldn't get involved. In the end it blew up in their faces of course but you can see the logic.

This hasn't been forgotten by the US govt so they are working on putting out the smaller fires as they break out rather than falling into a world war type conflict. Unfortunately it looks like some of their firefighting has caused other bigger fires to break out.

Should they have done things differently? Definately there are things that the US has done which has agrivated the situation massively. However knowing that they should have done things differently is all with perfect 20/20 hindsight. It is the first time the US has really been involved in a long running guerilla campaign where you can't tell who the enemy really is (in vietnam at least you could say you were fighting the commies). Now all you can do is say they are terrorists but you cant tell who a terrorist is until they shoot at you.

So you take the social, ethnic, and religeous demographic that produces the most terrorists. IE middle eastern, islamics. But not all (and not even a significant %) are actually terrorists but it makes it much easier to call them terrorists as it gives you a clear and defined target that is easier to sell to your citizens and your allies. This however alienates all the people in that demographic who aren't terrorists and are in the best position to prevent and police them. Its a horrible catch 22.

On the point of being expected to be the world police to a certain degree this is a direct result of WW2. Prior to ww2 it was the british empire that was the major superpower. The states were still small in comparison. The british had a much larger military force. However the US was a little bit of a sleeping bear as it had a large and growing population and a well established industrial base. ww2 saw the british empire annialated. England no longer had the resources or the will power to maintain its empire. Because the US wasn't devistated by WW2 (in comparison to Europe) it was in the perfect position to step into the superpower vacuum. THrow in a threatening USSR and it became necessary for the west to have the US as a force.

Over time with the USSR being the bad guys and the US being the good guys it was ineviateble that the US would be looked at as the soldier stopping the commies wiping us all out. When the USSR collapsed the old enemy was gone. Now we no longer needed a soldier to protect us. But the history and sentiment was still there. SO it became a logical step for the US to become world policeman and protect western interests no matter what the threat.

Its worth noting that in some regions other forces are stepping into the role of regional policeman. If you take the Asia pacific region Australia is basically taking on a smaller but similar role to the US. They currently have forces in atleast 6 pacific nations in peace keeping roles. They recently went in to the solomons to restore peace there after a breakdown in that country and have had clashes with Indonesia over east timor. They are facing similar resentment problems from some of the countries in this region particularly the Solomons and Indonesia. But is has been necessary for them to get involved for the overall stability of the region.

Worth the read- nicely said.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15190745/

Well according to MSN N. Korea just performed that nuculear test. Not enough info to know yet if it was successful or not. I am not liking this very much especially given my location. We just got Patriot missle batteries here on island. I don't like where this is going.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea said Monday it has performed its first-ever nuclear weapons test. The country's official Korean Central News Agency said the test was performed successfully and there was no radioactive leakage from the site.

"The nuclear test is a historic event that brought happiness to the our military and people," KCNA said.

Full Story: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/K/KOREAS_NUCLEAR?SITE=PASUN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

We shall soon know....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Quick10 said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15190745/

Well according to MSN N. Korea just performed that nuculear test. Not enough info to know yet if it was successful or not. I am not liking this very much especially given my location. We just got Patriot missle batteries here on island. I don't like where this is going.

Shit brother your a bit close.... lets hope it was not a nuke

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hmmm not good. I really cant predict what responce this will generate.. Its not so much the nuclear weapons themselves that are the problem. The major problem is the combination of those and the long range missle system they have been developing and testing.

North Korea already has long range missle systems capable of easily hitting japan. THeir latest test was of a system capable of hitting Alaska. It didn't work but that doesn't mean the next one won't. Fortunately they aren't big enough to carry nukes but may do soon...

I have to say if I was the ruler of NKorea I would have my 7 other nukes floating on unmarked boats around the world and if someone was to attack me I would drive it straight into a harbour of a major city. Not quite Mutually assured destruction but its close.....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I would like to think that China would step up and control their rabid dog. If there is not a strong and somewhat painful responce then Iran will think that they have the green light to continue with their program. Sanctions will not work because there is not much there to take away... endless resolutions and threats from from the UN will do nothing because they choose NOT to back it up...
I guess we need to sit back and see.... the media will some how blame President Bush.... bla bla bla

41 - 60 of 105 Posts