Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 zx9 and want to updrade the entire upper fairing to the look of a 2000 zx9 with the double headlights.

I have been calling around and it seems that the fairing itself will attach easily but the list of pieces i need and and what will owrk from the old set up I still have a few questions about.

I know I will need the following peices some are very obvious I need to change but the rest I am not sure if the parts from the 98 are usable.
headlight assembly ( Must Change )
Wind Screen ( Must Change )
Instrument gauge bracket ( Not Sure )
Mirror bracket ( Not Sure )
Ram air intakes ( Not Sure )
Air box ( Not Sure )
Guages themselves ( Not sure about guages or the spacng of the mounting tabs on the gauges if the 98 tabs line up with the 2000 fairing? or I f need gauges from a 2000, That poses another guestion, does the connection from the harness on the 98 bike connect to the back of the guages from the 2000)

If some out there has done this I would appreciate greatly the help, I can post mu phone number or give you my e-mail address if some one has pics or can refer me to someone that knows about this stuff.

·
Registered
321 Posts
this is what you MUST change:

upper obviously - don't forget you will need the grill piece and the mesh behind it as well.

headlight assembly 00-02 zx6r or zzr will also work

Wind Screen must be 00-03 zx9r only

Instrument gauge bracket 00-03 zx9 00-02 zx6r 05-06 zzr

Ram air intakes and resinators 00-03 zx9r only

also you will need the ram air covers (inner fairing) 00-03 zx9r

headlight wiring can be spliced in. you will need the newer harness 00-03 zx9r or 00-02 zx6r or zzr

wiring for the gauges will need to be changed in the plug itself. very easy. use a pic to get them out !!!carefully!!! you can find the diagram on kawiforums if you search it. probly here too

Guages themselves - reason is that the old style is too big and there is absolutely no way to make it fit. period. 00-03 zx9r 00-02 zx6r is the same but 10 mph less but will work

you can use the mirror bracket/cage. but while your at it you may as well go with the newer style gauge bracket that eliminates it. 02-03 zx9r or 05-06 zzr 600 will fit.

air box can stay and the small tubes that go through the frame are the same.

mirrors are the same

I've done this mod twice already, both bikes can be seen on my website.. the skull zx9r is a 99 and the yellow zx6r is a 98.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have done the conversion using the original guages but I had a double bubble windscrean which gave a little more room. Still a tight fit though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts