Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some posts about suspension and i am looking to upgrade.I asked my suspension guy if i should put gold valves in and he suggested cartridge kit instead with rebound and compression and said that was the cure for big piston forks.I ride a 2011 10r and i don't do track days but but like to ride aggressive on the street.I have upgraded to an elka rear shock and would like to get the most out of the front as well. Please any good suggestions would be appreciated.Race tech offers a gold valve kit for the bike and that would be the way i would like to go if its not wasting my money of course.

·
Registered
338 Posts
How did you like the rear shock after you swapped it out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've yet to try it yet,seeing as there is still 3 feet of white shit still in my yard. i'm getting it ready for spring and would like to find out more for the front end so as to have it all ready. I have also ordered spiegler brake kit and looking forward to installing it just to keep me busy and pass the time till spring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've just put a ketch ssk piston kit in my 08 forks one word awsome my bike is mainly used for fast road riding I wouldn't imagine u would need anything more for road use.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Unless you're seriously fast, the BPF's are quite good and don't need anything apart from the correct springs for your weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the feedback, ktech may be the way I go then but if anyone has experienced the good valve I would like to hear about .

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback, ktech may be the way I go then but if anyone has experienced the good valve I would like to hear about .
just out of curiosity, why do you plan to choose ktech over ohlins? been thinking of upgrading my forks as well, and was just curious to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I assume your talking about the Ktech 25mm open bath carts? and comparing them to Ohlins NIX 30mm open bath carts?

Op. don't bother wasting your money on the racetech kits.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I assume your taking about the Ktech 25mm open bath carts? and comparing them to Ohlins NIX 30mm open bath carts?

While we r waiting for his response - Bigunz can you give any insight into how those compare? Is comparing the 25mm to 30mm possible or t they different animals? Suspension is my area of least knowledge and I'm always trying to learn and understand more...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bigguns, I'm just wondering if you have experience or read some where about the race tech? It's not that I'm a big fan , it's because I really don't know the difference and I see so many different opinions it's hard to choose. But ktech seems to be the general idea.

·
Registered
547 Posts
While we r waiting for his response - Bigunz can you give any insight into how those compare? Is comparing the 25mm to 30mm possible or t they different animals? Suspension is my area of least knowledge and I'm always trying to learn and understand more...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
There two completely different designs, how they build pressure needs to be taken into account in more ways than some think. On top of that the design on the rear needs to work with it..

Remember when the TTX first came out (well.. came back around anyway) there was people saying it was shit and others saying the opposite. Most of the time the people who didn’t like it didn’t understand the tech and/or know how to adjust it. (still happen today)

Each design give's a different feel, some like one more than the other.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bigguns, I'm just wondering if you have experience or read some where about the race tech? It's not that I'm a big fan , it's because I really don't know the difference and I see so many different opinions it's hard to choose. But ktech seems to be the general idea.

In a way for less money, you can get a similar result with a reshim of the stock valves ( Depending on the tuner ) which is not really worth it either, but it would make them a little better as the problems that are inherent to the BPFs will still be there. Best place for the insides of the BPF’s .. is in the bin.

What about GP suspension carts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been reading some posts about suspension and i am looking to upgrade.I asked my suspension guy if i should put gold valves in and he suggested cartridge kit instead with rebound and compression and said that was the cure for big piston forks.I ride a 2011 10r and i don't do track days but but like to ride aggressive on the street.I have upgraded to an elka rear shock and would like to get the most out of the front as well. Please any good suggestions would be appreciated.Race tech offers a gold valve kit for the bike and that would be the way i would like to go if its not wasting my money of course.
if you have a Gen 3 or the DLC coated forks you may not want to disassemble the fork bottoms to install the gold valving kits. I haven't done it, just what I heard. Unless you get new fork tubes then it's fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks bigunz, and that's what my tuner also said about bpf is you need to replace the entire inners and start over. So I guess I wait till I can afford the cartridges and go that route! Just wanted to say thanks to all that replied and offered there support.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I chose the ketch piston kit because they had 2 options one for street 1 for track that's the reason why I chose the Ktech and if u are not doing track days I wouldn't bother with the cart kits as u need to really be riding very hard to get them 2 work properly this I what my Ktech man told me .I would go the Ktech piston kit if u ride on bumpy roads they work and u won't want anything more especially if u are just road riding I push on a bit on the road and I can't out ride this setup . If u have $ to burn get the dds Ktech Cart kit :) than u won't have to upgrade again .

·
Registered
547 Posts
Do Ktech make piston kits for BPF... :icon_confused: And their pressurised carts would really be overkill for his intended use.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I disagree....I have the Ohlins 30 cartridges and use them on the street and on the track and they're perfect in both applications....they need some miles to heat them up, but that's about it...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I disagree....I have the Ohlins 30 cartridges and use them on the street and on the track and they're perfect in both applications....they need some miles to heat them up, but that's about it...
huh?? Those are not pressurised.. and I have the same on my other ride:wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts