Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got off the phone with the engine builder and have a basic plan of what we are going to do. Now we will not know for sure until he has the motor apart but so far the plan is to do the head work " valve job" and upgrade the valves, springs "custom via rev valve springs", retainers, and other misc parts. Also we are going to do the cams, " custom ground via Web cams. I plan on upgrading the rods through one of the aftermarket vendors but at this time I don't know who. The pistons will also be getting done but like I said I don't know if I am going to stay with the stock 998cc bore or go up to the 1051cc bore until we have the motor apart. The only advantage of going big bore is to give the bike more low and mid range power but they will sacrafice compression. I am looking for top end power mostly but the extra low end would be nice, but we will wait and see what happens. I figure I'll have everything done so that if one day I decide to turbo the bike all I have to do is swap out the pistons and re tune. I don't know about the crank and crank berrings and such seeing as I don't know what he will say I need until we tear the motor down. All and all the project should take all winter but there is no rush seeing as it is getting cold and this way I should be able to aquire the nessicary funds needed. Basically I am building the whole thing up and just felt like listing everything individually. Anyway I will update periodically throughout the project but like I said there is no rush. Sorry for the teaser w/ no pix but maybe soon I will have some parts to post pix of. :helmet: :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
thats an impressive list of engine mods...
curious to hear about the crank/bearings and what you'll do...
dont know how extra dsplacement wouldnt help, but i dont have any background in ultra top speed...
that thing will be a fuggin beast for sure!!!...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
latdrop said:
dont know how extra dsplacement wouldnt help, but i dont have any background in ultra top speed...
I hope so but I am not going to guess on HP #'s for now. I am sure it will make more than most 10's but I am going for reliability also, so I can't push for all out horse power. But anyway it should still be a fun ride. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'd save my money on the rods unless you plan on a turbo later on down the line...did you find out why your current set-up failed?? :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
busaforhire said:
I'd save my money on the rods unless you plan on a turbo later on down the line...did you find out why your current set-up failed?? :dontknow:
I was planning on building it up all the way and I might as well do the rods now so I don't have to later if and when I decide to turbo it. But that is down the road a bit. And no I haven't torn the motor down yet to find out what broke. As soon as I do I will post up what happened. But thanks for the heads up I know the stock rods built stout and saving money is always nice.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Falicon rods and a stroker crank? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
latdrop said:
theres no replacement for displacement as it is instant increase across the powerband.
Perhaps ceramic bearings for the tranny input/output shafts.

BD

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good ideas fellas. I will update on the project soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts