Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a shop they have used or heard of that undercuts transmissions gears, and roughly what it would run? I have a 98 ZX9 and third acts up every once in a blue moon. With major help from a friend I want to take it out and send it off to get machined. I have heard a few other people talk about 3rd gear issues and want to be pro active about cleaning it up sooner than later.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
Had my '96 ZX-9 tranny undercut and indexed by fast-by-gast. (www.fastbygast.com). My second gear started to go out so I did the same thing you are trying to do. Pulled the gear shafts out, sent them out for machining, and within 2 weeks had like-new gear shafts returned for ~$400. The tranny has been solid ever since.

A couple of things to note, however. Kawi undercuts the gear dogs from the factory, so unless you've really rounded one off, it's more likely a shift fork or drum. In my case, the shift drum slot was seriously worn on the entry to 2nd gear, so it wouldn't hold under acceleration and would pop back to N. The other thing was that Fast-by-Gast used assembly lube to hold the positive neutral finder bearings in the shaft. If I hadn't of cleaned those out before reassembly, the PNF wouldn't have worked.

If you're going to go through the trouble of removing the tranny, send it out to be sure it's done right. That's my humble opinion though. Good luck.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
R&D transmissions can do it for you as well... on my zx10r with under cutting, replacing 2nd gear and putting the low 1st gear mod in it cost me about 650 bux, that short 1st gear runs about 250 or so so they are about 400-450.

their number is 1-727-447-4552

1 - 3 of 3 Posts