Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short....stored the bike at a friends house over night AND went to school, local bike night was tonight and i was going to get new rear tire mounted and balanced...easy enough...well thought i should get my front tire re-balanced....well while i was at school my friend hit me up (where bike was stored over night) and said we should do a crest run before bike night...told him i needed tires and he suggested that he'd help and he'd go ahead and start removing the tires/rim from the bike to get a head start and help me out....sure why not.....well not sure if its him who F***ED UP or the Dealership who installed the last tire...but is this a possible fix....or do i have to replace the entire $300 plus fork???

PLEASE NO BASHING AS FOR I AM TOO TRUSTING FELLOW AND NOW MY BABY HATES ME FOR LETTING ANOTHER MAN TOUCH HER INAPPROPRIATELY:wink:

i was thinking of sanding/smoothing out the fork internals down smooth and replacing the axle nut.....or buy a new fork.....what you guys think?

WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE

WHAT IT DOES LOOK LIKE

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Oh my god!!! I'M SPEECHLESS, YOU CAN FIX IT BUT YOU STILL SHOULDN'T HAVE TOO...:headshake:sad:

I don't know man, you could try sanding, but truth I have never had this problem...You might want to ask around...

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my god!!! I'M SPEECHLESS, YOU CAN FIX IT BUT YOU STILL SHOULDN'T HAVE TOO...:headshake:sad:

I don't know man, you could try sanding, but truth I have never had this problem...You might want to ask around...
dude....my night has sucked!!!! this beautiful girl from my econometrics class was supposed to come....ahaha

let me say..i hated my life for a mere 5 min...but am over it and trying to move on and fix this thing....

any suggestions on fixing this

·
5,932 Posts
You got my ideal, worse case you might have to buy another fork, but that's your last option etc

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haahaha now watch this is gonna be the new "HOT TOPIC" SINCE JBLAZE SCANDAL.....ANY ONE CARE TO DONATE FOR A NEW FORK...HAHAHAHA JUST KIDDING BAD JOKE I KNOW:)

·
5,932 Posts
lol, yeah man...I could care less about that guy, he was weird from the get go, always talking about how he was having a new bike every week...Truth I made fun of him in a couple posts, saying you could be like "jblaze" hahaha....Yeah I'm sure someone will tune in with a little more mechanical back round just to make sure everything goes smoothly etc

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Well, look at it this way. if you start sanding on these parts your going to create a gap that is not supposed to be there. I would say take it to the dealer you bought it from and play the blame game. Is this the first time you have taken your front off?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
na ive done it 4 or 5 times before myself...never had an issue....last tire change i was in a rush and didnt want the headache so i brought it to the dealer!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If that doesnt work, it looks like the bugger in the fork is from the axle so you can probably clean the fork up and discard the axle. Be easy though or you will end up with a not so perfectly round fork. Than find out why it was spinning

·
Registered
916 Posts
:+1:
And it looks from the grooves, that the axle was spinning in there with some pressure on it, I doubt it if you can even sand that out.:headshake.
I don't like to say it, but it looks like the fork and axle need to be replaced from looking at your pictures.

·
Registered
214 Posts
:+1:
And it looks from the grooves, that the axle was spinning in there with some pressure on it, I doubt it if you can even sand that out.:headshake.
I don't like to say it, but it looks like the fork and axle need to be replaced from looking at your pictures.
:+2:
That is pretty galled-up in there. I would make sure that you don't have a siezed wheel bearing causing the axle to spin in there. That galling looks too bad to be done with a wrench or even an impact gun. I have to think that happend on the road. Did you hear any weird squealing noises? Are you the only person who rides this bike? Personally I think that it could be fixed by a competent machine shop. I'm a machinist, and I would put that fork leg on a mill and open up the bore just until that cleans up. Then I would turn a new axle nut on the lathe which had a nice tight fit in the oversize bore. Gotta be cheaper than a new fork leg and axle nut.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
:+2:
That is pretty galled-up in there. I would make sure that you don't have a siezed wheel bearing causing the axle to spin in there. That galling looks too bad to be done with a wrench or even an impact gun. I have to think that happend on the road. Did you hear any weird squealing noises? Are you the only person who rides this bike? Personally I think that it could be fixed by a competent machine shop. I'm a machinist, and I would put that fork leg on a mill and open up the bore just until that cleans up. Then I would turn a new axle nut on the lathe which had a nice tight fit in the oversize bore. Gotta be cheaper than a new fork leg and axle nut.
:iamwithst

yeah im sure this can be fixed, I'd imagine if you could also maybe open up the clamping area as well so when you tighten down the pinch bolts you could tighten them down slightly more.

wheel bearings I'd def inspect... unless who ever put that on just spun it for ever and ever with some metal debris of some sort inside it, it shouldnt have chewed it out like that...

worst case your looking at buying a lower fork leg, an axle and some bearings, might as well replace both of the fork seals and fluid while your at it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I bet the cause of the problem was from the last tire change.
Somebody forgot to tighten the pincher bolt they fell out and now thats what you got.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay say if i smooth out the lower fork (the part that's messed up in the pic) do u think it will be safe to go really fast....150mph plus??

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
okay say if i smooth out the lower fork (the part that's messed up in the pic) do u think it will be safe to go really fast....150mph plus??
as long as your wheel and axle stay in a solid place then yes I'd say it would be safe.

I honestly dont know how that could have done that with out the axle spinning, for sure check the bearings!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks like someone tried to take the axle nut out with a impact, with out loosening the pinch bolts. I would carefully hone the fork and buy a new axle nut.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like someone tried to take the axle nut out with a impact, with out loosening the pinch bolts. I would carefully hone the fork and buy a new axle nut.
thats what im thinking too.... what do you think about after i hone it out will it be safe to aquire high speeds?

whats your take guys?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts