Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at spending around $6k to get my gen 2 engine built for top speed/track day racing. Mostly focusing on top speed, but I'd like it to be linear enough to use on the twisties..
What would be the best bang for the buck at this point?
These are my plans so far:
1. electric water pump
2. gen 3 oil pump (turns slower)
3. gen 3 crank (2# lighter)
4. smoothed throttle bodies (second butterflies removed/smoothed)
5. custom cams (plan to send bike to (The Official Site, Compton Customs)
6. decked head, thinner head gasket, running race gas
7. 2mm overbore, new pistons, new lighter rods
8. bazzaz quick shift, and afm module

The suspension has been fully redone with a customized Penske triple clicker rear, and revalved and resprung rebuilt front forks from Traxxion, and a rebuilt/modified steering damper. I'm already running some light weight components, ceramic wheel bearings, 520 race chain/sprockets, modded airbox, hiflow race filter, pc3 with quick shift and custom tune. Also have one piece race tail, tubular subframe, new levers, rearsets, and riflemans quick throttle, tre, ecu flash to remove top speed limit, raise red line 500, full akropovic titanium exhaust, titanium axle nut, ti caliper bolts, ti rotor bolts, ti sprocket nuts, shortened axle, light rear rotor, custom underslung and miniature rear brake, small reservoirs, ignition switch delete, keyless gas cap, R1 monobloc calipers, stainless lines. All sound dampening and the air injection system has been removed.

Is there anything else that I should be doing, or shouldn't do? Would I gain anything by going to larger valves? Does anyone know of a better airbox for more volume? With s. TX high heat would I gain much by insulating the carbon tank and airbox? What about a lower first gear, or would that just make it harder to keep the front wheel down?
I know lighter wheels would really help, I'm trying to find a used set of carbon wheels, currently running light slick tires..

The goal is over 200 in the standing mile, which doesn't seem too difficult, but I weigh 230 plus gear (easy to drop muscle, but part of my job is being in good condition).
:popcorn:

·
Registered
171 Posts
what is the purpose of this project? where are you aiming for? going fast on a strait line? to race with the bike? to go really fast from home to work?
The reason I'm asking is because you can easily spend 6k only on the engine's head and you won't gain what you looking for.
I'll be straight with you, most of the things you wrote you already have on the bike are insignificant, skip one breakfast and you'll gain more weight loss than changing some of the nuts to Titanium...
Don't get me wrong, I totally understand you, most of the nuts and bolts on my bike are titanium as well, but before I got there I've made sure that the really important things have been taking care of.
If you ask me I won't approach the engine as the first thing that needs to be modified. what's the point of having 220 HP engine if you can't use it? If you're thinking about track days you'll shave a lot more from your lap time if you'll replace the wheels to lighter ones and modify your suspension to give you a better feedback from the track.

Anyway, if you'll specify what is it that you want out of the bike I think it will be easier to help you understand what mod's will make the most difference for your application.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting..
Main purpose of the bike is to race in the standing mile.
So a stock gen 4 would be faster than a fully modified gen 2?
Gen 4s must go over 200 in a mile right?

Thunder, I like the idea of boost, but would that work at all for a track day?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Not even close to 200 mph at that weight on any stock bike, I'm 245 w/o gear and my stock Gen4 was a dog, it's better now with the gearing, flash and rear shock to my weight but 200 in a mile is still laughable. Keep the Gen2 and do what you have planned.

Reactions: CoolBrzBlu

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Interesting..
Main purpose of the bike is to race in the standing mile.
So a stock gen 4 would be faster than a fully modified gen 2?
Gen 4s must go over 200 in a mile right?

Thunder, I like the idea of boost, but would that work at all for a track day?
A built gen 2 would probably be close to a Gen 4 with the normal bolt ons. I'd start with the better platform if you want to go over 200. There has been a couple people that broke 200mph with a lightly modded Gen 4. I've personally had mine to 193 gps verified. It probably has more it it but I haven't tried again since.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
A built gen 2 would probably be close to a Gen 4 with the normal bolt ons. I'd start with the better platform if you want to go over 200. There has been a couple people that broke 200mph with a lightly modded Gen 4. I've personally had mine to 193 gps verified. It probably has more it it but I haven't tried again since.
Gen 2s have been 189mph GPS verified as well, a stock Gen 1 186mph verified from the show room floor....I would think with 6k to spend the older ones can get an extra 5mph :wink:

Bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
for bun1t: Click on Picture to Make BIGGER

Attachments

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
6psi on stock engine gen 2 will have no problems outrunning gen4.
I personally don't' think I need "6psi" to out run a Gen 4....it's all rider if I can do 121mph in the 1/8th mile most of them will be hard press to give me a hard time Stock. :wink: :cool: :wink:....when I ride on the street no worries :wink::mrgreen:

bloo

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I personally don't' think I need "6psi" to out run a Gen 4....it's all rider if I can do 121mph in the 1/8th mile most of them will be hard press to give me a hard time Stock. :wink: :cool: :wink:....when I ride on the street no worries :wink::mrgreen:

bloo
Cool story bro.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I could possibly sell my bike for $6k, probably more like $5k, plus $6k gets me a used 2011 and maybe enough money for a slip on.. You guys are saying that a gen 4 plus a slip on will be equal with my fully modded gen 2? If so, that makes sense, less maintenance, no special parts, and pump gas!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Cool story bro.
Thanks...but if you want the truth then it's a cool story....again old Gen ZX10R don't loose easily but if like you that need special Modifications down to the Wire harness than I understand. :wink:

Bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
So, I could possibly sell my bike for $6k, probably more like $5k, plus $6k gets me a used 2011 and maybe enough money for a slip on.. You guys are saying that a gen 4 plus a slip on will be equal with my fully modded gen 2? If so, that makes sense, less maintenance, no special parts, and pump gas!
Yep...that's what they want you to believe. :wink: ...I like your Sarcasm :eek:ccasion1

Bloo

Reactions: CoolBrzBlu

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone have any input on my planned mods? Would I gain more from just swapping on the gen 3 head, if it does indeed have titanium valves?

Aerodynamics, is the gen 2 at least close to the gen 4? Especially with race bodywork, one piece tail..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I sold my Gen 1 and bought a mint low mileage Gen 4 for 2k more than what I sold my Gen 1 for. I've seen some Gen 4's go for $7500.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts