Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'll have to do this in installments lads, cause i have to go out...

Part 1

more later...

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was not a very good test. In fact take the pictures out and you are down to about 4 or 5 useful paragraphs.
I suggest you wait until somebody tries the bike in decent weather on decent roads. Fireblade speed runs cancelled because of ice? Does this mean you can ride the Kwack and Suzi on ice and not the Honda, or did they do the test on different days? Usual MCN in depth test :?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok fellers

Sorry about the delay, but here’s the final instalment…and I’ve turned the pics around to save you cricked necks, you load of plonkers…hehe

Right…now I can read the test, cause I haven’t had time to even read through yet….

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Thanks for all the work Geezer. It is appreciated.
Did anybody notice their explanation of hp #s? Sounds to me like 146hp=153hp in America. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks so much Geezer for the scans, that is really thoughtful of you!

Their summary of the ZX-10R is EXACTLY what I am looking for in a bike - the most track-focused right out of the box. That's what made them say it loses in this comparison? I guess for most folks, but not me...

I am really, really excited now. The problem I have deciding on now is which color!

BTW - now that people are revising their estimates of rwhp, remember who first estimated 153 hp???? Back in SEPTEMBER - when others were saying 170 or even 180 (!) (http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)

What do I win?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thanks Geezer, neck is better now.

You'll probably find another mag will have a different winner etc etc....

Its not going to sway my decision, thats what I want, hard edged motorbike, very quick and agile, remember power is nothing without control. cheer up to those expecting a white wash.

Starting to drool again....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jeff D said:

Their summary of the ZX-10R is EXACTLY what I am looking for in a bike - the most track-focused right out of the box. That's what made them say it loses in this comparison? I guess for most folks, but not me...

I am really, really excited now. The problem I have deciding on now is which color!

BTW - now that people are revising their estimates of rwhp, remember who first estimated 153 hp???? Back in SEPTEMBER - when others were saying 170 or even 180 (!) (http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)

What do I win?
Honestly I like the review. They were were rating these bikes in street terms and I had already thought that would go to the Honda. When the 636 came out, they said it was a handlful compared to the other 600's and that on the street its aggressive riding postion, etc would kill the average rider riding on a semi-normal basis. But most magazines like Performance bikes, etc (normaly speaking) test the group of bikes in two ways. One is obvously on the street, and the other is for track. And I think the GSXR1000 is the best middle ground of the three. Good on both the track and street. Where the Kawasaki is really just a weapon designed to race on the track with street seeming to be little more than an after thought, and the Honda with the same mentality it when it delievered 2003RR.

I think the review will probably prove to be dead on. I mean the #'s show us that the 10R produced more horsepower, was extremly fast in the turns, was a lot to handle for the unexperianced rider, got to top speeds faster, had more problems keeping the front down. The bike is a full on race bike, exactly like it was promised by kawasaki to be. No joking around, and just getting down to busniess. I think the only other aggressive bike like it this year will be the R1. Cant wait to see the comparos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read the MCN test after coming back from Ally Pally (having just paid the deposit on a green one), and it reads like typical MCN, god love them.

The Blade came first because it is easy to ride and suits riders of "all skill levels"; i.e. a numpty can ride it and not get in trouble - typical Honda really. The GSXR came second because it was a bit dated but still delivered. The ZX came third because it scared seven bells' worth out of them. If MCN had loved it, I would have been disappointed. They complained that it needs concentration and committment, and has a hard core attitude! Bring it on!

I think you might see different results when some like Performance Bikes tests them ( and I mean more than the short bit cribbed from the MCN test that appears in this month's issue. That's about saying something first, not about longer term testing in the real world).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Karlos said:
I read the MCN test after coming back from Ally Pally (having just paid the deposit on a green one), and it reads like typical MCN, god love them.

The Blade came first because it is easy to ride and suits riders of "all skill levels"; i.e. a numpty can ride it and not get in trouble - typical Honda really. The GSXR came second because it was a bit dated but still delivered. The ZX came third because it scared seven bells' worth out of them. If MCN had loved it, I would have been disappointed. They complained that it needs concentration and committment, and has a hard core attitude! Bring it on!

I think you might see different results when some like Performance Bikes tests them ( and I mean more than the short bit cribbed from the MCN test that appears in this month's issue. That's about saying something first, not about longer term testing in the real world).
MCN can be first for a comparison test, but what can it deliver? Shallow reporting because of the nature of the weather. How can you get the best out of bikes when you cannot open the throttle because of ice and wet roads? Tested by Brits in Britain on real roads (gives us a break), is that the best reason they can come up with?

Banal styling wins over on the edge performance, how many great canyon roads start with a standing start? On how many bikes is first gear relegated to the unused basket? Because it is too low and locks the wheel every-time you downshift? The ZX10R has a first gear you can use on slow corners instead of droning out in second from 4,000 rpm the Zx10R can be in a more useable area of the power curve and punch out hard accelerating harder faster, only if you are game. MCN test riders need not apply.

Sorry a shallow C class report, must try harder next time and get some decent riders, at least those who are not going to be intimidated.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Jeff D said:

What do I win?
you win nothing :twisted:
because we would wait until we had a couple of dyno results, btw I quoted 151.5 bhp back then, seeing the figures I guess I win, but then al of a sudden there seems to be some correction factor :evil: :evil: :evil:
damn :wink:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:lol: :lol: Ok, now that i've had time to read the article properly, after rushing about for two days. I gotta say It’s actually rather flattering to the 10-R, and i’m just itching to collect mine from the dealer. My only disappointments are the slight deficit in the grunt department, and the stiff gearbox (typical Kawa then).

Yeah…bring on the green meany..

BTW i've also fixed page 3 (first post 3rd image) :wink: :wink:

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
10r_Geezer said:
:lol: :lol: Ok, now that i've had time to read the article properly, after rushing about for two days. I gotta say It’s actually rather flattering to the 10-R, and i’m just itching to collect mine from the dealer. My only disappointments are the slight deficit in the grunt department, and the stiff gearbox (typical Kawa then).

Yeah…bring on the green meany..

BTW i've also fixed page 3 (first post 3rd image) :wink: :wink:
Can anybody give me a comparison between Kawa's stiff gearbox and a gixxer's. 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts