Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Gone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is mainly for info and will get updated as i go along.
So far obtained mint 08 arm and sold my ohlins as i knew from Rspec99 that using one of those arm would need notching.
Before the arm arrived i bought a WP (cause it's black too) hoping to scrape through like 9Rto10R with his Elka but no such joy...

Progress so far: The resi of the WP sticks out alot, so much that can't even get bottom shock bolt in cause of bracing on arm. So looks like i'm going to have to notch it too. got a contact who used to work for spondon, also been over to K-Tech suspension waiting for them to get back to me after hols, had an idea about taking shock apart & trying to fit a spacer to the shock to move the whole resi 20mm to the left as you look at it from the rear...

Few pics

View attachment 84603

View attachment 84604

View attachment 84605

View attachment 84606

View attachment 84607

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Looks good so far, sucks that you sold the ohlins and have to notch it anyway. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Looks as though either the mounting locations or the shock assembly will need modification. Maybe you can have a machine shop make you a relocation piece to move the reservoir off of the shock housing. You can use your imagination and come up with a custom one-off piece that would look awesome :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sweet, been trying to source a swingarm for almost 2 months now...
With as many of the bikes sitting on the showrooms still, no one is out crashing them.
might just go with a new one.
I will go with the swingarm clearanced method.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
new can be bought from any dealer or online seller that sells OEM parts, thinkign it is around $500 from ron ayers and will not include the chain guard adn little plastic parts.
not sure about bearings either.

·
Gone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the arm was £200 off UK ebay.

as for shock resi getting moved i reckon it would need a hollow spacer machined up together with a longer banjo bolt (like for brake lines) with oil passageways in it...

think notching arm will be cheaper...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hey Tony will look great when you get it finished , Horse mentioned that you had purchased a swingarm at a cheap price , have you tried giving Will a call at WP suspension to see if they can help you with the spacer issue ?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Looking good so far, sucks you are gonna have to notch the arm, I have a question for you though, if you sold the Ohlins and then bought a WP, why did you not just buy a 08 specific shock?

·
Gone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Tony will look great when you get it finished , Horse mentioned that you had purchased a swingarm at a cheap price , have you tried giving Will a call at WP suspension to see if they can help you with the spacer issue ?
Yeah i went down in person to k-tech with the shock and spoke to a guy called chris and explained about moving resi over. He said he'd speak to wp to see if its poss then would get back to me. hoping to hear in the new year...

·
Gone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good so far, sucks you are gonna have to notch the arm, I have a question for you though, if you sold the Ohlins and then bought a WP, why did you not just buy a 08 specific shock?
Sold my ohlins on a uk forum then got 04/05 wp off ebay. broke even.

only about a 1/3rd of price of new 08 shock ohlins. still not seen one second hand yet. plus they're gold and i'm on a mission to purge bike of gold and brown.

got some US zx10r 07 LE all black forks to go on gonna look shweeet! :badteeth:

·
Registered
113 Posts
will the 08 swingarm bolt in nicely with the 05 model....?can i still use back mi stock suspension.i really wants to do these mods....

·
Gone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will the 08 swingarm bolt in nicely with the 05 model....?can i still use back mi stock suspension.i really wants to do these mods....
yes, 08 and 05 shock are almost identical externally apart from colours...

same shape size and offset on reservoirs.

get my 08 swingarm back from welder tomorow. 2nd attempt, as first cut out wasn't big enough, my kak measurements :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Tony make sure you post some pics when done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello Tony,
Why the upgrade to 08? What about the pivot bolt and the angle of the swingarm? Do you have a handle on how to adjust the links etc to get the bike to handle the way it should? I actually think the 04 swingarm is decent and a cosmetic change (though I do understand that) and all the addional work with no improvement in handling is time better spent improving the basic original setup. But hey! The bike will look better than an 08 for sure! Cheers

·
Gone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i don't track it mate and don't ride hard enough on the road to notice or benefit from any improvement/change of arm. although we all like to think we do don't we :)

its mainly for cosmetics and my original arm was damaged in a crash... two birds with one stone sound familiar?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Talk to Will, see if he'll switch the top out to an 06/07. The res will clear. Or it can even be rotated 90/180 to suit.

·
Gone
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talk to Will, see if he'll switch the top out to an 06/07. The res will clear. Or it can even be rotated 90/180 to suit.
i did go to k tech but to be honest it felt like they weren't taking me seriously cause i'm young etc and it was too much hard work to do a bit of research into modding the shock...

no worries i took my money elsewhere :thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Will is at Full Travel - the WP importer. Wouldn't go back to K-Tech after the mess they made of my 20mm kit. Fook that.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts