Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some top notch spoofers on this thread,or I am doing something badly wrong.

20,000 miles from a rear tyre anyone?

Anyone?

Thought not.

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
:dontknow: Maybe they are actually running a car tire.... Back when I had a Ninja 250R, I couldn't get much more than 12k or 13k out of a set of tires....

I will say that running higher air pressure will get you better mileage. But not 20k. And not on a sport bike.

Chris

·
Registered
415 Posts
liter bikes tear tires apart, and it is recommend to keep softer sticky tires on the bike not sport tourer tires due to the bikes need of traction. My stocke set lasted 2300 miles. my second set, metzler M1 have lasted 2800miles. I have 5123 miles on the bike and my third rear tire is coming. These bikes are for the big dogs. I drive to work everyday so really you think how much gas I am saving and the cost of tires, it is still cheaper than a car

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
I drive to work everyday so really you think how much gas I am saving and the cost of tires, it is still cheaper than a car
So how are you saving money? Most car tires last 50K+ miles.... And cost a little over $100 each... I had new tires put on my Grand AM GT in February. The stock tires lasted nearly 53k miles. I think after tax, mounting, ballancing... etc. the bill was about $600. You will save money on gas, but not enought to off set the added tire cost. And then there is also insurance.....

I commute on my bike as much as I can. But it isn't to save money. I commute because the bike is more fun. :helmet:

Chris

·
Registered
526 Posts
liter bikes tear tires apart, and it is recommend to keep softer sticky tires on the bike not sport tourer tires due to the bikes need of traction. My stocke set lasted 2300 miles. my second set, metzler M1 have lasted 2800miles. I have 5123 miles on the bike and my third rear tire is coming. These bikes are for the big dogs. I drive to work everyday so really you think how much gas I am saving and the cost of tires, it is still cheaper than a car
How far do you drive to work and back everyday?
I rack up 50 to 60 miles a day depending on witch route i take. the stock tires lasted me about 2800 miles. Thats not enough miles for 300 buck (for me) so i put on Road Attacks and they seem to stick good for a sport tourer tire plus ill get some miles out of them. right now i have 5050 miles on my bike.

·
Registered
615 Posts
How far do you drive to work and back everyday?
I rack up 50 to 60 miles a day depending on witch route i take. the stock tires lasted me about 2800 miles. Thats not enough miles for 300 buck (for me) so i put on Road Attacks and they seem to stick good for a sport tourer tire plus ill get some miles out of them. right now i have 5050 miles on my bike.
The Road Attacks get pretty good Mileage and they stick very well for a Sport Touring tire....I had a set on my Zx9R go nearly 7.5K.....and my Buddy on a Gixxer 750 do just over 8K. But there is no way i would use 'em on my ZX10.....first they don't offer the tire size and second I have way too much confidence in my BT-002's to use anything else (Besides that my bro works for B-Stone:badteeth: )

There is some good crack smokin goin on with the 20K:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
liter bikes tear tires apart, and it is recommend to keep softer sticky tires on the bike not sport tourer tires due to the bikes need of traction.
I have to disagree with that. The last 2 sets I ran on mine were sport tourers. 1 set of road attacks and 1 diablo strada. Both gripped very well to the edges of the tire. I got 6k out of the contis and sold my 10 with 4500 miles on the strada with it still looking new. I can see staying with sports if you live in the mountains but otherwise it will be sport tourers for me.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have to disagree with that. The last 2 sets I ran on mine were sport tourers. 1 set of road attacks and 1 diablo strada. Both gripped very well to the edges of the tire. I got 6k out of the contis and sold my 10 with 4500 miles on the strada with it still looking new. I can see staying with sports if you live in the mountains but otherwise it will be sport tourers for me.
:+2:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Every set of Pilot Powers I have owned I have gotten right around 4000 miles. I had 3 sets on my Speed Triple and now am on my second set on the 10R. I ride 80 miles round trip to work, 12 of which are super-tight mountain curves. No chicken strips, no Michelin Men, no directional arrows.

But 4000 miles seems to be a little better than most people. I don't know how I am doing it or I would tell everybody.

·
Currently Clueless
1,516 Posts
I have 5000 miles on my PP right now and still have life on em. But I have learned to be alittle easier on tires since they are expensive and I have 4 bikes to buy for. They will be replaced here shortly though. I will be riding the super moto for work duty since it gets better gas milage.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I used to commute on my CBR600 I got nearly 10,000 miles from the rear and 20,000 miles from the front. I no longer commute and the 10s tyres are not going to last that long.

As a cost saving measure I kept the Dunflop Qualifiers from new, and they are holding out OK at 2500 miles. I think the sides are more worn than the centre, which is the way a sports tyre should be. Sometime in the next 1000 miles I'll get a pair of Metzler Sportec M3, they are supposed to grip better and last longer than the dunflop.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I have the Sportec M3's on mine right now; they have about 4000 km on them and there's only the slightest wear spot in the middle. I did not like the (lack of) feel and grip in cold temperatures with these tires, but they seem better now that it has warmed up. I had to slide the forks another 2mm up in the triple clamps to get them to feel right, even when they were new.

It looks like they'll last decently, but I might run out of patience with them before they wear out ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts