Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get more views for removing the heat plates on the stock brake pads. I tested it today and it is a night and day difference. i had to back off the dial 2 clicks so the bike would stop endoing. I do not know what those plates did other than spreading the heat around, but now I have better feel and better stopping power. Thanks.

·
Banned
125 Posts
BNninja said:
I just wanted to get more views for removing the heat plates on the stock brake pads. I tested it today and it is a night and day difference. i had to back off the dial 2 clicks so the bike would stop endoing. I do not know what those plates did other than spreading the heat around, but now I have better feel and better stopping power. Thanks.
Is this really that great of a mod ? I hate the stock no bite brakes the 10R has . They of course have a ton of brake lever feel . I am definately down for trying this out . I especially like the cost of it , free .

·
Registered
787 Posts
Those plates are there for a reason.......You might boil the fluid or worse yet, warp your rotors if that heat can't get out.

And they will most likely start sqealing soon..........

I'd try some brake lines and high temp. fluid first .

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
BackMarker said:
Those plates are there for a reason.......You might boil the fluid or worse yet, warp your rotors if that heat can't get out.

And they will most likely start sqealing soon..........
Awh shit....... You just scared me bro.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
What about all the aftermarket pads that don't have them?:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ANdy said it best. I ride 99% of time on street and I'm not doing extreme braking eavery other corner so the odds of me seeing any adverse affects are slim...keep in mind your use of the bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been debating on doing this, I think I will. I don't brake all that much so I shouldn't be heating it up too much.

Does anyone have a photo of the piece I need to remove? or will I know what it is?

"sm"
Shawn M Bowen

·
Registered
852 Posts
Usage is key. If you piddle around like an assfag and hardly use the brakes, by all means take them out. I did an experiment today by running without them at Palomar. Even in chilly conditions it was readily apparent the brakes were getting overheated. Each time I would lose airflow over the calipers (come up on a car, for example) the lever would get soft. I also got a bit of chatter when coming to a complete stop. I'll be putting them back in before I ride again.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its free; try it like mad kaw did and if you hate it put them back in. The roads I tested it on were all long triple digit speeds so you are really only going from 3rd to 2nd and taking the turn. I tried them on tighter corners Sunday and I still do not notice anymore lever travel that before.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Brake feel

I too was less than thrilled with ZX's front brakes, especially considering the trick looking petal rotor and monobloc radial mounted Tokico calipers.

I nearly had a "run-in" with a Nissan Pathfinder pulling out from a side street. Nothing is scarier when you clamp down the brake lever to the grip and the bike isn't perceivably slowing any faster. The lever adjustment was on position 3 too.

I wanted to improve the brake feel and figured a new set of lines would do the trick. However, thanks to the great insight provided by posters on this forum, lines didn't seem to help that much.

I decided a good medival bleeding of the brakes may be in order. Bleeding the brakes did wonders for brake feel and effectivity. Flushed the whole system and tried some Motul RBF600. It's been terrific and concerns with running racing brake fluid thus far have been unfounded. Mushiness has been drastically reduced, and the braking performance has been much more consistent. It took a l-o-n-g time to get all the freakin bubbles out of the system as well. Even after I thought there would be none left, a few short stabs at the lever produced small bubbles in the plastic reservoir.

Removing the heat spreaders on the pads did wonders for feel and initial bite. I also have not experienced even a smidge of brake fade. Lever retains a stout feel even when repeatedly lofting the rear tire while braking down from triple digit speeds.

Much more confidence in the binders.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Welcome BNinja, best thing I've done to the brakes so far. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts