Hello!

My buddy and I just got ourselves some ZX10R's. Here are the specs:

Mine:

Hindle titanium exhaust
5,200 miles

His
All stock
450 miles

When we're riding, doing the same speeds for the same amount of time, when we eventually stop his temp is about 7-10 degree's cooler than mine. I don't really think it's a riding pattern difference as we stay pretty consistent before we measure the temps. Could it be that I need a flush at only 5200 miles?

Another thing, he gets much better gas mileage than I do. When riding for a whole day, we fill up at the same time pretty much with the same amount of fuel. He can last a lot longer one a tank of fuel than I can and again, we ride fairly consistently. I know I have an exhaust but holy crap.

Are there any significant differences between 2004's and 2005's? His feels heavier than mine. Again, the only difference I can think of is my aftermarket titanium slip-on.

If I found a very light coating of oil on my forks does that mean they're leaking?

Lastly, where can I find a maintenance schedule? Myself (and especially my cream-puff owning buddy) want to make sure we follow the schedule so we get to enjoy our Kawi's until we die on them.:helmet:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
As far as gas mileage and running hotter, it could be a thing of mapping even if a power commander isn't installed. I noticed if the bike is running lean, its running hotter. Generally leaner = more gas mileage = running hotter, but for some reason that doesn't seem the case with you. The 04/05's are basically the same bike though. Maybe a flush might help your system. Also I question how accurate the gauges really are. So that could be the difference there. I'm sure your pipe is what is hurting your gas mileage. I'd consider getting a power commander and getting it mapped.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello!

Mine:

Hindle titanium exhaust
5,200 miles

His
All stock
450 miles

When we're riding, doing the same speeds for the same amount of time, when we eventually stop his temp is about 7-10 degree's cooler than mine. I don't really think it's a riding pattern difference as we stay pretty consistent before we measure the temps. Could it be that I need a flush at only 5200 miles?

Another thing, he gets much better gas mileage than I do. When riding for a whole day, we fill up at the same time pretty much with the same amount of fuel. He can last a lot longer one a tank of fuel than I can and again, we ride fairly consistently. I know I have an exhaust but holy crap.

Are there any significant differences between 2004's and 2005's? His feels heavier than mine. Again, the only difference I can think of is my aftermarket titanium slip-on.

If I found a very light coating of oil on my forks does that mean they're leaking?

Lastly, where can I find a maintenance schedule? Myself (and especially my cream-puff owning buddy) want to make sure we follow the schedule so we get to enjoy our Kawi's until we die on them.:helmet:

:welcome: :wink:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Talk to garth285, I think he has some experience with the wideband. I'm not too sure to how beneficial it is for everyday riders. Power commander will help anyone though.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome!

The more lean you bike, the more HP it will make but the hotter it will run and thus more chance to damage your engine.

Also, you could have some air in the cooling system, easy eay is to open the radiator cap, let the bike warm up and start circulating the fluid, air will rise to the top.

Go to the "how to" section and download the entire tech manual, all you'll need.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Motor oil and airfilter condition have a lot to do with this situation. Put some fresh oil in your bike and clean your airfilter and the bugs off your radiator and see what happens

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motor oil and airfilter condition have a lot to do with this situation. Put some fresh oil in your bike and clean your airfilter and the bugs off your radiator and see what happens
Really? Mine is pretty nasty. I was thinking about going BMC street and I already have a Kawi filter + 10w40 Royal Purple Max Cycle. I'll try that plus what the other folks suggested. Hopefully I can get my front brake feeling like the 06+ ZX10R's ... all nice and firm with like 1/4 inch travel. My buddy and I both have like 1'' -1 1/2'' travel on ours. We will be getting SS hoses and bleeding with dot4 in the near future.

Thank you for all the welcomes... will be checking back.:cool:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Welcome, and ,about your forks, how much oil are talking about, cause if its just a film (discoloration) they are probably not leaking, you will get a very slight residue of oil on them, you would not normal see it, its just the black coating on the forks makes it very apparent. Thats normal, if oil is pooling at the bottom of the slider then I would worry.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hello!

Mine:

Hindle titanium exhaust
5,200 miles

His
All stock
450 miles

I got an 04 zx10r with about 23,000 miles and i rode with a power commander and without one and it ran nice and low for me.My buddy has a 06 1000rr and my bike was always 7-8 degrees cooler then his and most anyone else.I usually dont go over 99 degrees even on the hottest days and once it hits 100 my fan comes on and instanly drops below 100.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
damnnnn 23K some one is riding a lot :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
It can depend on a number of things, and of course lots of it is a cumulative effect. First of off, if you get a PCIII, get the right map for it at a minimum, and as a high reccomendation, get a custom map.

1. The radiator will deteriorate over time (bugs, dirt, shit etc, fouling factor)
2. Depends how the bike was run in from the start. A soft run in with blow by around the rings will cause the motor to run hot
3. Oil and oil condition.
4. Mixtures (i.e. power commander)
5. rad fluid conditiong.

The rad fluid should be fine at 5000miles though, I wouldn't have thought it would go off that quickly.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome, and ,about your forks, how much oil are talking about, cause if its just a film (discoloration) they are probably not leaking, you will get a very slight residue of oil on them, you would not normal see it, its just the black coating on the forks makes it very apparent. Thats normal, if oil is pooling at the bottom of the slider then I would worry.
Yes, that is exactly what it is. I think of it like the film that you see for a second after wiping the window down with Windex, but this just stays there :) It's ultra thin and OneSlo10 has it on his 451 mile '05. I guess I'm okay. So far I'm going to try to resolve the aforementioned cooling differences between OneSlo10's bike and mine:

Water Wetter
Bleed air from cooling system (open radiator cap) and run for a few min
Change oil and filter with Royal Purple 10w40 & Kawi filter
Kick OneSlo10's bike over to booger it up a little (adds character)

If all this doesn't help I'll change coolant.

As far as the gas issues, him and I filled our tanks and reset our trips. I'll report back with our results. If it's just a few miles that's to be expected but if it's like 20-30 miles that's rediculous for just having an exhaust.

Speaking of the exhaust...I have the factory looking "link pipe"... the pipe that goes between the header and the muffer and muffler pipe. I think this is the piece that the butterflies are in. The seller told me there's a full exhaust (header and muffler/muffler pipe). It's a Hindle Ti exhaust. Do all "full" exhausts get rid of this "link pipe"? Here is a picture of the bike with a view of the headers:

Here is a picture of the bike with a view of the "link pipe":

(the darker metal pipe, NOT the pipe that connects directly to the can).

Thank you all!

·
Registered
272 Posts
damnnnn 23K some one is riding a lot :)
haha ya i checked today and its at 31,236 km.i tried to put it in miles. just guessed around 23,000

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
hey that just means you been having more fun then me =) next summer I'm sure I will put 4k on her easy

BTW, Nice bike man

1 - 18 of 18 Posts