Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the turn signals inside the mirrors able to be removed/disassembled on the zx10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,614 Posts
The signal itself is LED. There's no bulb in it. The clear lens is over the circuit board holding the SMD LEDs and should be glued to that. But the whole module is screwed to the housing from the inside. At least that's how it should be mounted and what I suspect is in there. You'd basically have to remove the mirror to gain access to the mounting hardware for the mirror adjuster and remove that. Then take the arm apart to get in and take the wiring out and unscrew the LED cluster and lens from the back side. I think the mirror is glued on as the final assembly step when putting it together. So even if you could remove the clear lens, there would be a gaping hole in the housing when removed. Because it's LED, there's no serviceable pieces inside and the whole mirror is the replaceable part.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Why would you want to remove the turn signals from the mirrors, if you are going with bar ends then just buy some led signals that are flush mount. Just trying to figure out what other reason for removing them

·
The Pace
6,927 Posts
Why would you want to remove the turn signals from the mirrors, if you are going with bar ends then just buy some led signals that are flush mount. Just trying to figure out what other reason for removing them
He hit a cage mirror and broke that signal.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Oh, that's a bummer, I guess I would end up going the bar end route (foldable ones only) and then get the flush mount led turn signals that mount on the litter edge of our headlights. That or find some sick looking aftermarket mirrors to install

·
Registered
217 Posts
i replaced my mirrors with block off plates that had LED's fitted into them, and connect to the stock mirror indicator wiring harness

theyre very bright at night, although id say they could be brighter in direct sunlight, and i wanted people to see them better from the side, so i just got these knock-off bar end indicators from china (the originals from motodynamic or whoever makes them are ridiculously overpriced), gonna see if i can get them setup on zx10r bars, not sure if theyll fit properly, will find out soon... theyre sso cheap if it doesnt work or they dont look nice ill just toss them in the trash

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,614 Posts
I wish the OP would state his reason to remove them. I think Scout is assuming that's the reason and it's actually not true.

There's lots of reasons to want to remove it. Replacing the light itself is not necessarily one of those things. It would be nice to be able to remove it to modify it though, and even do some maintenance on it. If the signal lens could be easily removed, someone could change out the LEDs in it for a different color, different flash pattern, brighter signal, turn them into running lights, etc. One could also polish the lens to remove any small scratches from a minor tip-over, rock chips, etc. It would be easier to tint or darken the lens if it could be removed. I can think of a lot of reasons to want to remove it, but that doesn't mean it would be permanently removed or to go with other options. The mirrors work good and serve a purpose on street bikes.

The simple fact is, the light in the mirror is too hard to get out and is not replaceable by itself.

·
The Pace
6,927 Posts
I wish the OP would state his reason to remove them. I think Scout is assuming that's the reason and it's actually not true.

There's lots of reasons to want to remove it. Replacing the light itself is not necessarily one of those things. It would be nice to be able to remove it to modify it though, and even do some maintenance on it. If the signal lens could be easily removed, someone could change out the LEDs in it for a different color, different flash pattern, brighter signal, turn them into running lights, etc. One could also polish the lens to remove any small scratches from a minor tip-over, rock chips, etc. It would be easier to tint or darken the lens if it could be removed. I can think of a lot of reasons to want to remove it, but that doesn't mean it would be permanently removed or to go with other options. The mirrors work good and serve a purpose on street bikes.

The simple fact is, the light in the mirror is too hard to get out and is not replaceable by itself.
Yes, simply replace the entire mirror unit; plug, bolt and go.

Also, I never comment on a situation unless I've been there and done that. NEVER hit a cager mirror while splitting ( and I have several slab sections, when the stupid bike is running, that I split, and all tricky in different ways), but once, on this '13, I had to stop at a rural place where tree guys were dropping a...tree. Truck in front of me, like two feet away...a tree truck. Tree stop guy waved me on. So...do what I always do and jam. A bit later I notice that I can't see out of my right mirror. I look and it's cocked back toward me. So, I push it forward.

Several weeks later, while cleaning bugs, I notice the turn signal lens is cracked; the signal worked.

Circumstantial evidence layers, but I think I hit that dang tree truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts