Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the bolt-on turbo kits from companies like Velocity run okay with 91 octane gas like we have here in California? Has anybody had a problem with detonation? I mean like if you were running with a low boost for street use. I know you couldn't get peak performance from low octane fuel, but just for riding around on the street, would it be okay?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Can the bolt-on turbo kits from companies like Velocity run okay with 91 octane gas like we have here in California? Has anybody had a problem with detonation? I mean like if you were running with a low boost for street use. I know you couldn't get peak performance from low octane fuel, but just for riding around on the street, would it be okay?
It's fine.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I wouldnt considering the bike stock they recommend 91 octane fuel. even at 5 pounds of boost effective compression ratio on the engine is probably 16:1 or maybe higher. may be able to get away with it but if it detonates its gonna be junk I wouldnt risk it. you may be able to pull a bunch of timing out to keep it safe but that will hurt overall performance anyway. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies- what if I use an intercooler to cool the charge air- would that reduce the risk of detonation? (I'm mainly theorizing here, I know jack about how to build an intercooler, other than rip one off an old Volvo).

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
heaves=BANNED but his turbo journal is still around some where...Ask "Vince10R" he seems to fix and does a lot of things with turbos or just about anything. Heck if I remember reading right he fixed hesaves shit...So hit up vince and call it a day!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Thanks for the replies- what if I use an intercooler to cool the charge air- would that reduce the risk of detonation? (I'm mainly theorizing here, I know jack about how to build an intercooler, other than rip one off an old Volvo).
yes anytime you can cool the charge it will help with detonation. It will also make more power at a lower boost level with the intercooler allowing you to run less boost and make the same power as without a cooler so that would help too. Now for the bad news the 10 is very tight and its hard enough to get the turbo stuff in there let alone an intercooler. the other option would be to put aftermarket low compression turbo pistons in it that would give you a little more adjustment on the boost level with the low octane fuel. For 5-600 a set it may be good insurance and much easier than mounting an intercooler that would actually be out in the cool air and be effective. also dont get greedy, its real easy to up the boost on a turbo bike and it will brake things if you get too greedy with the free hp. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
heaves=BANNED but his turbo journal is still around some where...Ask "Vince10R" he seems to fix and does a lot of things with turbos or just about anything. Heck if I remember reading right he fixed hesaves shit...So hit up vince and call it a day!!
:thumbsup: hesaves has the engine and turbo out of my 05 zx-10, he bought the entire setup from me and yes he did bring it back to me so I could get it right for him. How did he get banned this time?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts