Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to turbo my 07 ZX-10R, Bone stock right now. Looking to do it on the cheap. Suggestions? I saw someone a while back selling a pretty nice kit for 3k, hoping to spend about 3-4k on full setup minus ECU. Anyone have experience with Megasquirt 3?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looking to turbo my 07 ZX-10R, Bone stock right now. Looking to do it on the cheap. Suggestions? I saw someone a while back selling a pretty nice kit for 3k, hoping to spend about 3-4k on full setup minus ECU. Anyone have experience with Megasquirt 3?
Velocity Racing makes a kit for your 10R for just a bit over 4 grand. Good kits well engineered.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Tyler Woolsey builds turbo kits for zx10r for a very good price. Megasquirt/microsquirt ecus have been adapted to zx10r before, just use search and you'll find it. I'll be putting megasquirt 2 ecu on my gen1 zx10r, had one on my gen2 zx10r and loved it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
How much more power do you want to make, and how do you want it to behave? That's going to determine your budget.... not what's in your wallet. What are your goals?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
...but to give you an idea for a reliable 7psi build:

Quality turbo: $1K new (750ish used). You can cheap out here at your own peril.
Manifold: $750-1K if someone makes it (200ish in materials if you weld it yourself)
Plenum: $200-1200, depending on your goals/quality and who makes it.
Fuel Pump: $150ish
Fuel Pressure Regulator: $150ish (1:1, no giant rising rates if yer smart)
Lines and fittings: $100ish (varies wildly depending on quality, AN=$$)
Scavenge pump (if your turbo is too low): 100$
Engine management: $500-4500, depending on how deep you want to go. A 7psi build can be done on the PCV if you want
Dyno Tune: 300$/hour
Couplers/clamps/tubes/hoses: $100 on the low side... it is hideous how it nickle and dimes you...and shipping is a beast when it adds up
Filters: $50 (don't forget your crankcase breather system!)
Clutch mods: $50-2500, depending on what you need (springs vs Hays lock-up, etc)
Labor: $0-1000, roughly, depending on who puts it together.

...I'm sure I'm forgetting a few little things, but that gives you an idea. With skill and knowledge you can cut a few of those corners... but every 'cheap' thing you do ends up costing you more money, time, and/or headache later down the road.... trust me on that. If you are not a fabricator you will absolutely have to find a vendor with a kit. Buying used kits is a gamble, and FWIW, do some research over on Psychobike about Velocity stuff. With how old the bike is you'll likely have to have someone make one from scratch.... and that's gonna get costly. Holeshot, RCC, and Chris Jones are all names that are synonymous with quality. I've heard nothing but good things about that fellow Tyler as well.

G'luck!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
....and the megasquirt stuff is pretty awesome if you know what you're doing. If you are not up on engine management programming it is not for you.... unless your tuner is very familiar with it. Honestly, the best ECU is the one that your tuner knows the best.... tuners are usually pretty opinionated, so don't be afraid to ask what they think.... they'll tell you. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take the advices on spax. Mine went kaboom on the track and didn t even got to the numbers. Went up so bad I need a crankshaft. Melted 2 pistons, spun a bearing, the cams were spun too. Need new caps and were out again.... I VE BEEN ON THIS PROJECT 3 YEARS NOW! this takes patience, I would take the advice, that's my 2 cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take the advices on spax. Mine went kaboom on the track and didn t even got to the numbers. Went up so bad I need a crankshaft. Melted 2 pistons, spun a bearing, the cams were spun too. Need new caps and were out again.... I VE BEEN ON THIS PROJECT 3 YEARS NOW! this takes patience, I would take the advice, that's my 2 cents
Ouch, that hurts. Well, I am trying to pin down a hard starting issue right now, so turbo project is on the back burner. Hearing that other people with a hard start sometimes ends up being a bent crank has me a little worried. Although I guess it would be a great winter project to tear the whole engine apart and rebuild it. Dump a few grand into some pistons, rods, rings, new gears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts