Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I am no noob to turbos, but have never really looked into turboing a bike until just recently. I would like to keep it around 240 whp (for now) quick spooling turbo that holds power up top.:thefinger_red:

What size turbo should I go with? I was thinking gt3076r or similar.

Where is a good place to get my oil feed from? Do they make a sandwich plate for the oil filter housing?

Fuel...Im sure my stock injectors are fine for my power goals, do I need a fuel pump or an aftermarket FPR?

Hopefully I can get some good info and start building this kit.:thumbsup:

Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I wanna know what it's like to ride a (stage 1 like op described) turbo bike on the street. Does it suck? Is it like bog down and then all of a sudden you have a huge rush of uncontrollable power?? Never drove turbo anything except a turbo farm tractor. Wonder if it ruins the "ridability" of the bike?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Here... this is what Holeshot uses in their kit and what is going on one of my bikes this winter if I don't spring for the motor work I want.

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/images/pdfs/turbo-charging/tbikekawzx10r2013_130125.pdf

The turbo they use in their stage I kit is at full boost by 2200RPMs and holds it through redline.

My buddy rode their stage II bike this August over the course of a week and was absolutely enthralled. He is doing the stage II to his bike this winter now. Crazy bastard. 270WHP is enough for me... 400... screw that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanna know what it's like to ride a (stage 1 like op described) turbo bike on the street. Does it suck? Is it like bog down and then all of a sudden you have a huge rush of uncontrollable power?? Never drove turbo anything except a turbo farm tractor. Wonder if it ruins the "ridability" of the bike?
I rode a turbo Busa once and it didn't seem to lack down low, power definitely came on pretty strong tho.

Here... this is what Holeshot uses in their kit and what is going on one of my bikes this winter if I don't spring for the motor work I want.

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/images/pdfs/turbo-charging/tbikekawzx10r2013_130125.pdf

The turbo they use in their stage I kit is at full boost by 2200RPMs and holds it through redline.

My buddy rode their stage II bike this August over the course of a week and was absolutely enthralled. He is doing the stage II to his bike this winter now. Crazy bastard. 270WHP is enough for me... 400... screw that.
Awesome link, I was actually looking at that exact same BW turbo also lol. Thanks

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Let me start by saying I am no noob to turbos, but have never really looked into turboing a bike until just recently. I would like to keep it around 240 whp (for now) quick spooling turbo that holds power up top.:thefinger_red:

What size turbo should I go with? I was thinking gt3076r or similar.

Where is a good place to get my oil feed from? Do they make a sandwich plate for the oil filter housing?

Fuel...Im sure my stock injectors are fine for my power goals, do I need a fuel pump or an aftermarket FPR?

Hopefully I can get some good info and start building this kit.:thumbsup:

Thanks!
1. I'm not sure actually lol, but there are others who have turbocharged the 10r, check out what they are running, I'm sure you could run a small T25 no problem,

2. on the RH side of the 10r block there is a plug right under the small engine cover, that is where you hook up a oil pressure gauge for testing, you can get a fitting for that and run it off there. I'd stay away from the sandwhich.

3. You will need to beef up the fuel pump, you can modify the stock housing slightly to accommodate a intake walbro or AEM style fuel pump, they make them for the hayabusa and they are about 90-100 bucks and flow I believe 320LPH, the injectors are fine since you have 8 of them if you keep all 8 you will have no problem getting enough fuel in. You can run the stock 44psi with a turbo setup.

4. Bring your check book! I dont think I've seen a turbo Gen 4 just yet but it can obviously be done, the plenum will be the most expensive part I'm sure and incorporating the top feed injectors will be fun. ***EDIT*** - Just noticed the bike above is a Gen4 lol

5. compression - The 10r has some decent compression, if you want it to last you'll want to invest in some good pistons. Wossner can probably make you a set that wont break the bank but if you drop the compression a little it will help

6. Tuning - Invest in some of the woolich software so you are able to flash your own ECU, if you cant lower your compression atleast you can yank timing out of the ECU and help it live

7. E85 - Check into this stuff!!! Its only a few bucks at the pump, has 105 octane, uses 30-40% more fuel but keeps the engine cool! My turbo busa picked up 30hp (260 to 290) with E85.

8. Head studs - Check into head studs as well, I dont think I have seen them but again it all depends on how much $$$ you wanna spend, studs are cheap insurance!

Where theres a will theres a way! I am in the process of taking a (dont laugh) 09 ninja 250 and coverting it to fuel injection and then boosting it lol.... I wanna tackle some land speed records in the 250 class and its pretty damn cheap to put something together.

I converted the bike from carbs to fuel injection using all of the ninja 300 EFI components and I am able to flash the ECU to tune it with the woolich software. I lucked out and found a local welder who is doing a great job and is very fair on prices, running a walbro 255 inline pump with aeromotive FPR and running it on E85. Should have it up and running sometime soon!

Good luck with the project!!!!!

Pic of turbo 250 for the hell of it :p

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Yea, what garth said. :)

If you're honestly going to stay under 250hp a gt25 or gt28 series turbo will work much, much better than the 30 series.... and it will be a shit ton easier to package. You'll also need some good management... the woolich stuff doesn't do boost on our ecu's yet as far as i know.

An upgraded pump is always a good idea, and a 1:1 external regulator is good practice as well. If you were keeping it under 5psi forever you could get away with static fuel pressure (no external regulator), but the external regulator gives you room to grow and ease of tunning.

If you're trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible, and you honestly want to keep it under 250hp, i'd use a power commander 5 pti & a gt25 off of the nissan sr20 motor. If you wanted a little room to grow, the gt2860rs or gt2871 would give you mid 300hp potential and still be very easy to package.... and either of those turbos will give you much lower boost threshold for fun daily driving.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info guys, I already have woolich and zeitronix wideband and definitely know my way around EFI tuning. I'll be building this entire kit. Luckily I fabricate as a hobby :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts