Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need you guys opinion on sumthin, i just went to the track today and ran my new bike that i just got last week in the 8th mile... my bike is an 04 zx10r turbo.. it has a t3/t04e hybrid turbo runnin a dyno tuned 14 psi at 255 rear wheel hp... and with that much hp i was expecting to run AT LEAST a 5.85 but i pulled a 6.40 best time.. my lauch is shitty compared to usual on this bike cuz the turbo is so big, my 60 ft time was a 1.98 but my trap speed was good at 127mph!! so IM not launching the bike good but its pulling hard as hell after the 60ft... and i know some people would just say i need more seat time on the bike only havin it for a week to get use to it but i had a 04 zx10r a day before i got this bike but sold it to get the turbo bike and my older bike ran a 6.20 with a 60 ft of 1.58.. so the question is do you guys have any opinion of wut i can/could do to improve the time because the hp is there its just the bike is comming up if i dont slip the clutch enough, and also im runnin the stock shock, shinko tire, lowered, straped, and extended 8 inches but can go 9... thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I suggest revving it to 10K at the line and getting a lockup clutch. You need to make boost as soon as possible at the hit, so you need lots of rpm and the ability to dump the clutch, loading the motor, but not wheelie. You can try it without a lockup, just using very stiff springs, but it's a lot harder, and less consistent.

A progressive boost controller will help a lot. Even a simple 2-stage will be better than wastegate only, but if you are serious about drag racing, you need a multistage NLR AMS-1000 ($850) or Zukinut (sold by Velocity) MSBC-1 ($650).

But don't feel bad, it's typical for folks to slow down when switching from normally aspirated to boost, it's a totally different animal to launch. Lots of clutch & chassis tweaking, power tuning. Hang in there, you will be going high 8s with practice.

Dean

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Could it be that your just scared to get to WOT because of the power it makes and the fact that it wants to stand up? Call Dwayne at Cycle Concepts and get a longer arm. Oh yeah......seat time:spit: I have an MTC multi stage lockup that would help and maybe a low rpm launch limiter like the msd launchmaster. Good luck sounds like fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I was going to recommend a launch limiter. Works for a lot of people at our local track.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think, Turbohomba has the same problems I had when I had my turbo bike, not enough balls, but the good thing is that 95% of everyone here doesn't have an idea of what is 200hp in the rear tire. If they knew they would know a lot of what a turbo bike is about. The difference is like ridding a 250 or 400 and then jumping to 10. That different, sold mine or would be dead now, 150 powerwheelies in the expressway, that was fun, but not enough to kill myself over it.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
I think, Turbohomba has the same problems I had when I had my turbo bike, not enough balls, but the good thing is that 95% of everyone here doesn't have an idea of what is 200hp in the rear tire. If they knew they would know a lot of what a turbo bike is about. The difference is like ridding a 250 or 400 and then jumping to 10. That different, sold mine or would be dead now, 150 powerwheelies in the expressway, that was fun, but not enough to kill myself over it.
a real man wouldve kept it! as men its in our nature to kill ourselves or to have that thrill of something close to it. thats why you drive a second gen eh? the first was to much for you?:wink:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am divorced with custudy of a 6 year old, am 33 riden since I have been 9, I have seen about 15-20 really bad motorcycle accidents, not sure but 5 or 6 were deaths, including my best friend. I ride 2 to 3 days a week and drag racing in Carolina Speedway most tuesdays, ride because I love it but I love my son a lot more than I love motorcycles.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
ok had to learn this when i got my 14. now your making BIG tourq too. so dont rev high and slip so much rev low like 4 or 3500 then when the lights say go get to WOT fast allow the tourq to pull you to the 60ft instead of powering to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts