Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need you guys opinion on sumthin, i just went to the track today and ran my new bike that i just got last week in the 8th mile... my bike is an 04 zx10r turbo.. it has a t3/t04e hybrid turbo runnin a dyno tuned 14 psi at 255 rear wheel hp... and with that much hp i was expecting to run AT LEAST a 5.85 but i pulled a 6.40 best time.. my lauch is shitty compared to usual on this bike cuz the turbo is so big, my 60 ft time was a 1.98 but my trap speed was good at 127mph!! so IM not launching the bike good but its pulling hard as hell after the 60ft... and i know some people would just say i need more seat time on the bike only havin it for a week to get use to it but i had a 04 zx10r a day before i got this bike but sold it to get the turbo bike and my older bike ran a 6.20 with a 60 ft of 1.58.. so the question is do you guys have any opinion of wut i can/could do to improve the time because the hp is there its just the bike is comming up if i dont slip the clutch enough, and also im runnin the stock shock, shinko tire, lowered, straped, and extended 8 inches but can go 9... thanks for the help

·
Registered
249 Posts
i almost think you are going to need a wheelie bar and get your weight all the way forward. that thing must be a beast.......

good luck

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I would say a lock-up clutch is in your near future.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
TWO-STEP.
The problem with a turbo bike is backpressure... it has none. so when you leave it's a dead horse but as soon as it starts to spool then it's all over.
by using a two-step you will get it to build at least some boost when leaving the line.. A lock-up is a good idea but you need to at least understand how the thing is going to leave first by hand, and yes you will have to slip it a bunch to keep it down. I was only three over on my bike and it had 320 horse. what I would do is shift as soon as the front would start to lift.I don't think I hardly ever saw more then 8k or so in first gear. My 1/8 mile times were usually 5.98-6.03 with a 1.60 or so 60 speed was usually about 135. I never ran anything but a stock clutch and that surely hurt my e.t. no doubt.
I'd also say your going to need to leave in the 7-8k range to be able to get it to launch with out stumbling. I had a turbo busa and went through the same growing pains. Once I went to a two-step it was much easier to launch at a lower rpm because when in the the two-step you could hear the turbo starting to spool. (I lauched at 4700 rpm on the two-step but about 6500 without it)
Seat time will help tremendously but your 60 is telling it all.
you should be able to pull 1.4's all day long with that sort of arm. If you could make that 1.9 a 1.4 you'd be in the mid fives...:thumbsup: good luck..

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
ill tell you the secret to success only if you post pics!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i still havent learned how to post pics, if one of u want to give me an email i can send them to that but thanks for the help... and like i said this was my first week on a turbo bike so ya seat time will help ALOT and the two step and lock up sound good.. thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
i agree with ruthless you are going to need that lockup clutch pretty soon. Are you losing traction/spinning the tire going down the track at all?? With a long strech you usually gotta worry about getting traction, plus you need to set that bike up right. Personally i dont think you need to worry about being streched 9inches. I would say your fine where you are at. I've seen some pretty fast bikes with 3-4.5inch strech running mid to high 8's in the 1/4. Now they wernt turbo or N2O bikes, but they where still fast as hell and they were damn good dragracers. So it can be done with a shorter arm, but i have also seen some bikes stand up and flip because of alot of extra hp and no wheelie bar. I know you aint going to wanna hear this, but you still need to get some seat time to figure out that bike and adjust the suspention. Shoot if you dont care, put a wheelie bar on that thing and you aint gotta worry.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i know i do need a lockup and maybe a 2 step too but ya i do need more seat time... im use to that style of bike cuz i had the same year and model right before this turbo bike but im not use to launching a turbo bike so therefore i need more seat time..

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Turbo bikes are big end bikes meaning that they make up time past the 1/8

·
Registered
448 Posts
:+1: for a lock-up
:+1: for the correct electronics

but I still say if your track doesn't prep well on test and tune nights, that much horsepower is never going to hook up like its "supposed" to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts