Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post up on this project. The back story is I work for a performance shop in houston, we work on anything from civics to vipers.. So I've had 2 ZX12s and decided I wanted to try the new ZX10. I loved the bike, it was sick fast and i let a few of my buddies ride it and everyone was blown away by it (mostely cause they ride suz-pukis ;P ) .. So then my boss/buddy says, hey lets boost it. So here we are. It put down 159 completely bone stock on our Mustang Dyno (read lower than most dynos).. I'm shooting for 300HP on E85. I'll post pics first then specs and descriptions of what we've done so far and whats coming next.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Very nice! Like that long primary header. You're going to need a scavenge pump, but that's easy. Great work. -Dean

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Damn nice welds man...Keep us up to speed! I knew it was only a matter of time before I saw a break down and turbo build on a 3rd gen!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
How are you gonna get the radiator back in there and are you gonna remote-mount the oil filter? I guess e85 is available at the pump where you are... still not widely available in NC :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally I was going to use the AEM FI/C 8 for tuning since it can control 8 injectors and has timing control all in one box. Not only that but I can still modify the N/A fueling by TPS load maping like a power commander, then when in boost I use the built in map sensor to use as a load reference for boost fuel and timing mapping. Its really the ideal way to tune one of these if its going to stay on the stock ECU. That and its like a fraction of the cost of the full deal power commander or bazzaz, and those can't do load by manifold pressure once in boost.

So my original plan was to keep the stock primary injectors as they were, for idle and part throttle, and have the secondary injectors modded (made larger) to cover the boost fueling since they blend in right about when boost would be coming in anyways. So I sent the secondaries out to get modified at fuel injector clinic. The secondaries flowed about 210CC stock and had a nearly perfect spray pattern. Come to find out these tiny little midget injectors are so bad ass and so well designed they were able to modify them to flow 830CC.. Jens at FIC said thats the most gains they've even gotten from modifying an injector.

Next we bought a collector that we thought would work, turns out it was way too long and the angles were not adequate so we made our own collector (all we do at our shop is make custom turbo stuff anyways).. We cut out the exhaust flanges on our CNC plasma table the had to grind down the corners so they would recess into the studs far enough to seal.

Once all that was done we finnished up the manifold, wastegate, downpipe, dumptube setup and called it a night.

Next up was the plenum and charge pipeing. I'll post pics of all that tommorrow. it was kind of a pain to get a plenum that had enough volume, that would fit between the sides of the frame and had room for a charge pipe inlet and a blow off valve. We ended up making block off plates for the reed valve breathers on top. The one of the left side will be sealed off and the one on the right will have an AN fitting on it going into a catch can shared with and that will drain back into the crank case vent.

Because of space constraints I decided to run a single stage of fuel injection for now, we were going to run it dual stage with the FI/C 8 like it comes factory but the logistics of using the 2nd stage of injection above the throttle bodies within a pressurized plenum seemed not worth the hassle so for now its gonna run a single stage of inejction. Because of this change we're ditching the stock ECU and FI/C 8 and I'm ordering a Haltech Platnium 2000 next week. Since the secondary injectors are a different package than the primaries I had to send out the primaries to get the modded to flow more. I got a call from them today, they said the primaries flowed 310CC stock and they were able to get 700CC out of them. Thats should just barely be enough fuel for 300HP on E85. The good thing was they flowed 700CC at 50PSI fuel pressure and I had them test to see what kind of pressure they injectors would take without having issues firing. They ran them all way up to 10bar of pressure (140PSI) with no issues, so if I run out of fuel i can just up the base pressure an should be fine..

I gutted out all the stock wiring and realised kawasaki uses what I can figure just from a quick glance a solid state relay box for all the electronics. So my next step is to gut out all of the ECU stuff from the harness and just keep the wiring for the lights, charging system, and starting system.. Everything else wil be run by the Haltech. I've been trying to locate a FSM for it so I can get on with the wire hacking, but the one posted on here I downloaded won't open for some reason :( .. Anyways, I'll post some more pics tommorrow and keep this thread updated as we progress.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn I wrote a huge post and it said somthing about it not posting till later and then it dissapeared lol.. Well the radiator just barely fits, we had to remove the fan, but with the E85 and the fact I will mostely be at the drag strip on it with very little street riding we shouldn't have too many cooling issues. We already have a scavange pump and havn't decided if we want to pump it back into the top of the motor or try to pump it in the oil pan below the oil level.. Theres not alot of options but we'l figure it out. We are going to CNC a block off plate where the oil filter used to be and tap and thread it for AN lines so we can re located the filter.. The details about tuning were in the other post I just wrote so if it appears you can read that, if not I'll re-type everything tommorrow lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I said in my vanishing post, i have a bunch more pics with the plenum and charge piping done and details on the whole build.. I'll post the rest of the pics tommorrow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hit the back button and few times and found my post, says it won't post until a moderator approves it?!?!?! kinda weird lol.. I'll try to breakin it into smaller sections and post it now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally I was going to use the AEM FI/C 8 for tuning since it can control 8 injectors and has timing control all in one box. Not only that but I can still modify the N/A fueling by TPS load maping like a power commander, then when in boost I use the built in map sensor to use as a load reference for boost fuel and timing mapping. Its really the ideal way to tune one of these if its going to stay on the stock ECU. That and its like a fraction of the cost of the full deal power commander or bazzaz, and those can't do load by manifold pressure once in boost.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my original plan was to keep the stock primary injectors as they were, for idle and part throttle, and have the secondary injectors modded (made larger) to cover the boost fueling since they blend in right about when boost would be coming in anyways. So I sent the secondaries out to get modified at fuel injector clinic. The secondaries flowed about 210CC stock and had a nearly perfect spray pattern. Come to find out these tiny little midget injectors are so bad ass and so well designed they were able to modify them to flow 830CC.. Jens at FIC said thats the most gains they've even gotten from modifying an injector.

Next we bought a collector that we thought would work, turns out it was way too long and the angles were not adequate so we made our own collector (all we do at our shop is make custom turbo stuff anyways).. We cut out the exhaust flanges on our CNC plasma table the had to grind down the corners so they would recess into the studs far enough to seal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once all that was done we finnished up the manifold, wastegate, downpipe, dumptube setup and called it a night.

Next up was the plenum and charge pipeing. I'll post pics of all that tommorrow. it was kind of a pain to get a plenum that had enough volume, that would fit between the sides of the frame and had room for a charge pipe inlet and a blow off valve. We ended up making block off plates for the reed valve breathers on top. The one of the left side will be sealed off and the one on the right will have an AN fitting on it going into a catch can shared with and that will drain back into the crank case vent.

Because of space constraints I decided to run a single stage of fuel injection for now, we were going to run it dual stage with the FI/C 8 like it comes factory but the logistics of using the 2nd stage of injection above the throttle bodies within a pressurized plenum seemed not worth the hassle so for now its gonna run a single stage of inejction. Because of this change we're ditching the stock ECU and FI/C 8 and I'm ordering a Haltech Platnium 2000 next week. Since the secondary injectors are a different package than the primaries I had to send out the primaries to get the modded to flow more. I got a call from them today, they said the primaries flowed 310CC stock and they were able to get 700CC out of them. Thats should just barely be enough fuel for 300HP on E85. The good thing was they flowed 700CC at 50PSI fuel pressure and I had them test to see what kind of pressure they injectors would take without having issues firing. They ran them all way up to 10bar of pressure (140PSI) with no issues, so if I run out of fuel i can just up the base pressure an should be fine..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
damn I wrote a huge post and it said somthing about it not posting till later and then it dissapeared lol.. Well the radiator just barely fits, we had to remove the fan, but with the E85 and the fact I will mostely be at the drag strip on it with very little street riding we shouldn't have too many cooling issues. We already have a scavange pump and havn't decided if we want to pump it back into the top of the motor or try to pump it in the oil pan below the oil level.. Theres not alot of options but we'l figure it out. We are going to CNC a block off plate where the oil filter used to be and tap and thread it for AN lines so we can re located the filter.. The details about tuning were in the other post I just wrote so if it appears you can read that, if not I'll re-type everything tommorrow lol.
I'm sure you know this, but you need to tap it higher than oil level, otherwise oil will back up in the line and cause turbo life issues. I'm pretty curious to see how the whole build works out, I'd love to turbo my 10 but don't see it happening anytime soon. Cool to see you using a comp turbo too, they're pretty new but seem to have some innovative features, my boss is going to run 2 of them on his Corvette this time... I guess we'll see how they work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gutted out all the stock wiring and realised kawasaki uses what I can figure just from a quick glance a solid state relay box for all the electronics. So my next step is to gut out all of the ECU stuff from the harness and just keep the wiring for the lights, charging system, and starting system.. Everything else wil be run by the Haltech. I've been trying to locate a FSM for it so I can get on with the wire hacking, but the one posted on here I downloaded won't open for some reason :( .. Anyways, I'll post some more pics tommorrow and keep this thread updated as we progress.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sure you know this, but you need to tap it higher than oil level, otherwise oil will back up in the line and cause turbo life issues. I'm pretty curious to see how the whole build works out, I'd love to turbo my 10 but don't see it happening anytime soon. Cool to see you using a comp turbo too, they're pretty new but seem to have some innovative features, my boss is going to run 2 of them on his Corvette this time... I guess we'll see how they work.
You only have to drain it above the oil level if your returning it by gravity feed, if your using a pump to force it back in the pan its not a problem. The comp turbos have been ok, we've used quite a few. We have a twin turbo viper here that makes over 1000hp running 2 comp turbos. I really prefer precision stuff though, it just costed more than I could spend at the time I bought the turbo. I may change it later though.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You only have to drain it above the oil level if your returning it by gravity feed, if your using a pump to force it back in the pan its not a problem. The comp turbos have been ok, we've used quite a few. We have a twin turbo viper here that makes over 1000hp running 2 comp turbos. I really prefer precision stuff though, it just costed more than I could spend at the time I bought the turbo. I may change it later though.
I can't believe the Precision cost more... billet wheel ball bearing? I know the Comp turbos we got were expensive as shit. Either way, I don't trust a scavenger pump for shit so I would still want it above the oil level.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I can't believe the Precision cost more... billet wheel ball bearing? I know the Comp turbos we got were expensive as shit. Either way, I don't trust a scavenger pump for shit so I would still want it above the oil level.
yeah the billett BB precisions are almost double what I payed for the comp turbo. We dealers for both, but we have a Precision 4272 Billet BB for our race car that retail is almost 4K .. They're compressor Aero is probably the most advanced out of any of the turbo manufaturers and they make more power than a comparably sized turbo. They are the best choice if your in a turbo size limited class and you need max power.

yeah, the worst that will happen if the pump dies is an oily smokey turbo, no real permanent damage, just messy.. Theres really not much choice due to the level of the oil drain on the turbo and the shape of the oil pan.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts