Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd show my modified '06 ZX-10R. Bought it in August -19 and did a rebuild this winter.

I love a strong engine, good acceleration and sometimes it happens that the front wheel leaves the tarmac ? But I'm not a big fan of clip-ons and prefer an upright riding position on the street where I do 99% of my riding.

Would really lika an Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory but they are to expensive for me at the moment so I decided to build my own version.

Some facts about my bike:

Kawasaki ZX-10R -06, 16000km
173hp (181hp with ramair)
175kg original, lost a few more now
Modified top fairing
Reduced steering angle
ABM top yoke
28,6mm fatbar
Longer clutchcable
Öhlins steeringdamper mounted beneath the top yoke
Original exhaust (undertail) with servo and wires replaced by a GPR slip-on from aTriumph Street Triple 675 and a servo buddy.
Front brake calipers from CBR1000RR -10
Steelbraided brakelines
Healtech GIPRO gear indicator

Gearing:
Front -1
Rear +3

Since it's still winter here in Sweden I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. But I think I might have to invest in a Healtech Quickshifter as well... ?

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,095 Posts
+3 in the rear is the same as -1 in the front that's why people go +2 in the rear, should have just gone -2 in the front and not needed a longer chain for the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+3 in the rear is the same as -1 in the front that's why people go +2 in the rear, should have just gone -2 in the front and not needed a longer chain for the bike.
I know that +3 on the rear sprocket equals -1 in the front. But -2 in the front will give the chain a tighter bend and shortens the lifetime for the chain.

My sprocket setup still works with the original chainlenght, but you need to move the rear axel forward as long as possible. So you automatically get the shortest possible wheelbase as well :sneaky:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent some time in the garage this evening and fitted a new
LED light for the license plate and a slim reflector. Still cold as f*ck outside :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,095 Posts
I know that +3 on the rear sprocket equals -1 in the front. But -2 in the front will give the chain a tighter bend and shortens the lifetime for the chain.

My sprocket setup still works with the original chainlenght, but you need to move the rear axel forward as long as possible. So you automatically get the shortest possible wheelbase as well :sneaky:
Ok that works out, figure with that much of a down gearing it would pretty heavily shorten the life of the chain as is, and I mean, the chain has pivot points, as long as you are not trying to wrap it around a 12 tooth or less it shouldn't cause any appreciable damage. That bike will already be a wheelie monster and to shorten the wheelbase to the shortest must make it a fun ride. Responsive with turns and throttle just not super top end or stable. Not that it would be that much less stable since less top end to have to contend with. Thanks for filling me in on the why of your choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok that works out, figure with that much of a down gearing it would pretty heavily shorten the life of the chain as is, and I mean, the chain has pivot points, as long as you are not trying to wrap it around a 12 tooth or less it shouldn't cause any appreciable damage. That bike will already be a wheelie monster and to shorten the wheelbase to the shortest must make it a fun ride. Responsive with turns and throttle just not super top end or stable. Not that it would be that much less stable since less top end to have to contend with. Thanks for filling me in on the why of your choice.
Another reason for my choiche of gearing is that it makes it easier for me to try different settings to find the one I like. Haven't had the opportunity to try this setup on a longer ride yet since it's still to cold here in Sweden. But I might find that the engine rews to much for my liking and if that's the case I'll just change the rear sprocket to a +1 or +2 instead :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went for a ride yesterday, but it´s still cold (46F) and windy so I didn´t push to hard.

But I must say I´m impressed, no problem at all to wheelie just from hitting the gas at 85mph in third gear. Comes up so fast that you´l flip it if you´re not ready for it :D
Second gear is just crazy.... :LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts