Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At high speeds, how much of a difference in speed can it make being tucked in properly, as compared to a less experienced rider trying to tuck in as best he can. Everyone has different form and I'm the less experienced rider. Can a proper position make as much as 5-10 mph at high speeds? My size is 170 lbs and about 5'10'. I'm not a big guy so I know the wind drag isn't killing me, but I'm sure I could do better. I'm riding a 6R by the way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To tuck in properly, do you ride up on the tank, or slide back to get your back and head lower?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I have seen guys that drag race take there left arm and grab on to the fork tube for the rest of the pass.

I try and tuck the same everytime. Once I get out of the hole I take my butt and press it against the seat cowl and make sure I'm squeezing my knees and arms tight on the bike and make sure I'm looking through the windscreen.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Chrispy said:
I was up on the tank. Think I could get a couple out of her trying it your way?
You should pick some mph up. Once I started doing it like this I seen a 1/2-1 mph increase in the 1/4.

·
Registered
943 Posts
They talked about that on faster and faster on the Ducati's.

Loris vs Bayliss it was a difference of 12 mph with just arm position so I would think body position would make more of a difference.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Just a note: when the elbows are at the side of the tank, tuck the shoulders at the same time while you are kissing the tank.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
yeah body position is huge.. down here at the 9/10ths its an easy 3-5 mph difference.. get yourself a double bubble if you dont have one and take off the mirrors. that should get you 2-3 mph.. good luck..

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
if you ride a 600, you'd be able to see how much a difference tucking really makes!

On a 1K you have the torque to kinda balence out not tucking...but it does make a significant difference.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
if you ride a 600, you'd be able to see how much a difference tucking really makes!

On a 1K you have the torque to kinda balence out not tucking...but it does make a significant difference.
+1 and as stated you should slide your butt back in the seat to allow your head to get down on the tank. Legs of course gripping close to the frame and elbows in as far as possible. My helmet hits my scotts when i am in full tuck just to give you an idea.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts

Not a bad tuck here...prolly could be a bit better...but is plenty good for street applications.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
hillcountry10r said:

Not a bad tuck here...prolly could be a bit better...but is plenty good for street applications.
Naw hill that was comin right off of a corner so not on the straight yet....lemme get yah a better one...

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Yeah tucking is defintly a major factor in aerodynamics, I have a kind of hard time cause Im around 6'1" but I have been tryin to get better at it, I have even tried putting my head sideways so the helmet doesnt get so much air....it does seem to help a lil, head doesnt bobble as much. I also heard if you raise your ass off the seat 2-3 inches it helps a lil but I actually didnt liek the feeling of that at 180~mph.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts