Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove the front wheel. I read the posts on here and apparently the 04's must have come with a 14mm allen key in the tool kit but when I looked in mine tonight the 05 doesn't have one. I went to Sears, Lowes, Pep Boys, Napa and everywhere else I can think of. I found them online all over the place but is there anywhere I can go and buy one with having to order and wait for it? It seems like every time I do some home mechanic work I need a special tool that or weird size that is hard to find. I get to add to my nice tool collection but it is pissing me off now cause I was hoping to get my tires on tomorrow.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
cyclops24 said:
Trying to remove the front wheel. I read the posts on here and apparently the 04's must have come with a 14mm allen key in the tool kit but when I looked in mine tonight the 05 doesn't have one. I went to Sears, Lowes, Pep Boys, Napa and everywhere else I can think of. I found them online all over the place but is there anywhere I can go and buy one with having to order and wait for it? It seems like every time I do some home mechanic work I need a special tool that or weird size that is hard to find. I get to add to my nice tool collection but it is pissing me off now cause I was hoping to get my tires on tomorrow.
you need at least for special tools a 14mm allen or 22mm socket to take the axle out. Keep the pinch nuts loose from whatever side you use to loosen, by the tool you have(14mm allen left side 22mm socket right side) but the pinch nuts on the forks still tight on the opposite end to keep that end from moving. After that take it out and your in the clear and of course reverse order.....so go buy a 22mm socket and take it out that way if need be....but be carefull the 14mm side is Aluminuim and can strip easy with the steel axle.:badteeth:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 22mm socket. According to the shop manual, it sounded like you needed to loosed the nut then take the axle out. Hmm...I am going to the garage and tightening the axle nut side and I will see if I can get it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Thats what i did and i went out and bought bolts. now i just put a socket on those puppys.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
cyclops24 said:
Wheels are off! That was easy. Thanks bro!
glad to help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
yea easy huh.

just for future reference to make this easy.. if anbody else is wondering you dont need the 14 mm hex key. just leave that entire fork alone. get the 22mm socket and loosen and remove the axle after you loosen the 6mm hex bolts underneathe the bolt (right fork).

edit: yea what bluedevil said.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tires mounted and wheels put back on. Thanks for everyone's help that was easy. I am a little bummed I didn't realize there are new Pilot Powers, the 2CT. I got the regulars. Oh well, next time.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
cyclops24 said:
[It seems like every time I do some home mechanic work I need a special tool that or weird size that is hard to find. I get to add to my nice tool collection but it is pissing me off now cause I was hoping to get my tires on tomorrow.]

I know what your going through!! I think they do this on purpose. "Lets make this bolt a bigger size than anyone has in their tool collection." So the guy in his garage looks at it and says, "Well I don't have that size and I ain't going to buy one. I'll just take it to the dealer and have them do it." Then the guy stands at the counter and counts 100....200.....300...Dollars. You know how many tools you can buy for that kind of money. Just go out and buy the extra tool needed for the job, you'll win in the long run.

And those flu shot people get every year, you know whats in those?.................................Well I won't get in to that here. :wink:

·
Registered
190 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts