Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im trying to take the second butterflies out and im running into a problem. I got everything off but one screw on each butterfly is stripped. Like somone has tried to do it before and stripped the screw and that was it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just saw the attachment sorry. So i just clamp the pliers on and turn the screw out? I was going to do that but i didnt think i could get them to clamp on the screw

·
Registered
694 Posts
otherwise take the throttle body out of the bike and use a dremel to cut the head of the little screw.. its no t very hard to remove from the engine..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
Fuck no. Leave them alone! Leave them in and get the ECU reflashed. You're liable to screw things up with them like the throttle response. They should open quickly, but smoothly above a certain point. You're going to hurt your low end removing them. If you don't wind up bending the shaft, dropping a screw a metal fragments into the motor, or worse.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Fuck no. Leave them alone! Leave them in and get the ECU reflashed. You're liable to screw things up with them like the throttle response. They should open quickly, but smoothly above a certain point. You're going to hurt your low end removing them. If you don't wind up bending the shaft, dropping a screw a metal fragments into the motor, or worse.
+1 there are many other options to get the same results without removing them, TRE/similar or ecu flash etc....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard alot of mixed reviews on removing them. Some people say its great to remove them and more say to just leave them alone. Im just going to leave them alone until i do a little more research. I just feel like my throttle response is a little off on my bike. Its basically stock with an exhaust and k&n filter. My last bike was a zx14 and the throttle reaponse was on point, but it also had a power commander and was tuned as well. Is there anything else i can do to help with throttle response on the 10. I can change the gears but what else is there?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I have heard alot of mixed reviews on removing them. Some people say its great to remove them and more say to just leave them alone. Im just going to leave them alone until i do a little more research. I just feel like my throttle response is a little off on my bike. Its basically stock with an exhaust and k&n filter. My last bike was a zx14 and the throttle reaponse was on point, but it also had a power commander and was tuned as well. Is there anything else i can do to help with throttle response on the 10. I can change the gears but what else is there?
Id like to help but don't even know what Gen you have.....you do know there are 4 Generations of ZX10Rs right with a 5th on it's way next year right?

I can help with taking the screws off or at least what I would do and that's remove the Throttle Bodies and use an impact screw driver just to release the screws without actually hammering the impact screw driver. :wink:

bloo

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts

Reflash.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you have round butterflies like a Gen1 and all you are going to do is drag race - you can take them out only if you are also going to delete the shaft and plug the holes - otherwise the flow increase is in your head - not the cylinder head. If you have a gen3 or 4 with oval butterflies, leave them in and especially on a gen 4, reflash to at least the euro spec. The flow area of the oval design is way beyond the round main throttles - so one must ask the question; what am I really doing here.

Here is the really bad situation: If the computer thinks the valves are restricted to 78% open and delivers the fuel associated with that with no butterflies in place, how lean do you think you are going to be?

Think things through and decisions become clearer.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
If you have round butterflies like a Gen1 and all you are going to do is drag race - you can take them out only if you are also going to delete the shaft and plug the holes - otherwise the flow increase is in your head - not the cylinder head. If you have a gen3 or 4 with oval butterflies, leave them in and especially on a gen 4, reflash to at least the euro spec. The flow area of the oval design is way beyond the round main throttles - so one must ask the question; what am I really doing here.

Here is the really bad situation: If the computer thinks the valves are restricted to 78% open and delivers the fuel associated with that with no butterflies in place, how lean do you think you are going to be?

Think things through and decisions become clearer.
Good post

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you're still gung-ho about taking them out, an old R/C trick is to touch a hot solder iron to the screw head to liquify the loctite. Then use the vice grips or whatever you can to grab it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
''

For All Gens right? :crackup:
Yes, at this point in time, all of the Gens can be reflashed.

The purpose of removing them (the craze started with the ZX-14 crowd) was to defeat the upper RPM power restrictions. In those days, the power was limited because the STPs closed at 11,000 rpm, restricting the total power that can be achieved up to the redline. Simple thing to do was remove the STPs. People hear that you can remove these and gain a bunch of power because they read it on the internet and/or it works on other models, doesn't equate to all of them.

The problem is that the early Gens weren't restricted nearly as much with this method and the STPs help smooth the throttle response and help eliminate having too much air when the throttle is opened at low RPM that causes the motor to essentially bog down. So the point of removing them on earlier Gens doesn't work.

The point of reflashing the STP mapping is to allow them to work properly at low RPM and keep them open at high RPM. If you strip out one of those little screws, or drop it in the motor, you're screwed - literally. So why bother when there are better ways to do the same thing???

·
Registered
681 Posts
So in a Gen 1 with a milled head, cam, semi tune, tre on hard setting would I want them in or no.
They are out now but should they go back in?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
The point of reflashing the STP mapping is to allow them to work properly at low RPM and keep them open at high RPM. If you strip out one of those little screws, or drop it in the motor, you're screwed - literally. So why bother when there are better ways to do the same thing???
Cost for Little GAIN flashing 1st Gen....this subject has been beat to death over the years leave them in take them out for 1st Gen I decided to leave mine in I don't worry about removing little screws I can take my TBs out in Very little time and put them back in fast too :wink: ..... I think member shoginator post pretty much sums it up unless your just drag racing leave them in for me when I first setup my bike I could ride to the track do a 9s run at the track then on the way home maybe pick up some milk for the kid....had the best of both worlds drive ability on the street and race with my STPs in. :cool:

The sad part is the OP still never stated what Generation bike they have, these types of threads are very frustrating because it invites every generation owner with an opinion that may not even apply to the OPs bike. :BangHead:

Bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Looks like he has a Gen 2.
Yeah My Bad.....I forgot members are suppose to search their Thread history when they ask for help and look for Clues so we can determine what Gen Bike they have. :badteeth:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts